Thread: 2019 Great MN Aviation Gathering, Friday and Saturday, April 26-27 at KCFE!

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Great MN Aviation Gathering, Friday and Saturday, April 26-27 at KCFE!

We are delighted to announce that the 2019 Great Minnesota Aviation Gathering will be held at the Buffalo Municipal airport (KCFE) on Friday and Saturday, April 26-27, 2019!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Map.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	41007

Name:	Skyvector map edit.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	41008

Thanks to the generosity of Mike Wiskus and West Metro Aviation, and the pilots and hangar owners of the Buffalo airport, we will likely be able to have all the sessions, the exhibits and dining areas in nice, quiet warm hangars! We are excited to be rid of tents and the challenges/expense that they demand!

As you may be aware, the Buffalo airport is just outside of the MSP Class B airspace, and will represent the first year we will be able to fly into a non-towered airport. We are thankful for the kindness and professionalism of the Anoka County-Blaine airport Tower folks for the great direction they gave us for the first 5 GMAGs, but we look forward to having more airplanes flying in for the events.

We are also happy to announce that Smokin’ Bonez BBQ food truck will be back this year, and for those of you who attended last year you may recall that the food was terrific! We will be incorporating the MN EAA Leadership Summit as a part of our Hangar Flying sessions, rather than in the evening, with the hopes that more EAA leaders will be able to fly in for each of the days.
    For those of you who will drive to the events, parking will be a breeze.

Please mark those dates down on your calendar. We hope to see you there!

Randy
    Thanks brown bear, Coulee Clipper thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    RandyBob
    Looking fwd to this years GMAG!

LouBob1
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We are gearing up for the 2019 GMAG, and are thankful to have significant support from some of our very own Supercub.org members.

Mike Vivion will be speaking Saturday, April 27, on "30 Years of Flying as a Biology Pilot"; Steve and Laura Johnson will be speaking on "Lessons Learned Flying to the Bahamas" (we trust they will have learned relatively easy lessons during their upcoming trip); I will be speaking on "BasicMed and 3rd Class FAA Medicals: Choosing One, Two or Both".

We will also have AOPA on hand providing the Rusty Pilot Seminars on Saturday morning, April 27; Woody Minar will be speaking on Risk Management; Kevin Morris from the FAA will be speaking about drones; Cheryl Daml will be speaking about "Where's That Airplane?"; Kyle Lewis from AOPA will be discussing Advocacy and Airports; and many more...

Joel Jungemann will also be flying a Beaver down, hoping to recruit pilots for the U.S. Forest Service.

A full listing of presentations will be posted on our website www.mnpilots.org in the next few weeks. There will be lots of flying friends there, hope to see you there!

Randy
    Thanks FdxLou, phdigger123, Henny thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    See you there, Randy!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Alanfrease liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the schedule of Hangar Flying Sessions at the upcoming GMAG! You will find some familiar names as speakers...

Name:	GMAG April 26 2019.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	42411

Name:	GMAG April 27 2019.JPG 
Views:	466 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	42413

We truly hope some of you will join us this year. We have greatly enjoyed the good times we have had with Supercub.org folks who attended in the past years, and this year will be perhaps even better! For details, check out www.mnpilots.org.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMAG April 27 2019.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	42412  

Post Thanks / Like
    Food at the GMAG? OMG, the Smokin' Bonz food truck will be back this year for an encore performance.

Name:	_MG_0238004.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	42414

Here is Dave Z, himself, with his assistant...

Name:	IMG_0308066.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	42415

Last year was our first year contracting with a food truck. I wasn't sure what we were getting ourselves into, but Man, Oh, Man this company rocks! They will have breakfast items and BBQ all day. I happen to be a bit of a BBQ fanatic, and this was some of the very best BBQ I've ever had.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the snow gone yet?
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so you are sittin' there in your recliner, taking your Sunday afternoon nap, reading this and thinkin' "Shoot, the GMAG sounds interesting, and a little bit tempting, but Hey, by the time I fly there, or drive there, I won't have a place to spend the night! And what am I gonna do all evening in Buffalo Minnesota?!"

Well, Supercub.org Boys and Girls, the New Holstein Fly In gave me the inspiration to consider a different, unique approach to the Great MN Aviation Gathering...

You will see that we have a "Meet and Greet" session (wine tasting for you high society folks) from 4:15 to 5:00 pm, giving those who attend the chance to visit the exhibits, enjoy a cold adult beverage or Coke or bottled water, and Hangar Fly till your little hearts content! How about then setting in for some of Smokin' Bonz BBQ while we crank up the music for a spell until the "real" music begins...

Yup, we are thinking about getting some local talent to provide some live music for a few hours in the evening, throw down some more liquid refreshments and maybe even sit around a bonfire...

"Wait a minute!" you might be thinkin'..."How are we going to do all that, get sleepy from the fluids and the High Test BBQ, and then jump in our airplanes to fly home or into our cars to drive home or to a cushy hotel?"

That's when the First Annual Great MN Aviation Sleep Over comes into play! How about draggin' your comfy, top notch folding sleeping cot outta your "airsheen" (to quote CloudDancer), along with your inflatable mattress and sleeping bag, and take advantage of some good ole fashioned Minnesota Nice hospitality in the hangars that just turned into pretty big barracks?! Running water. Bathrooms.

"Not doin' that! Too many snorers for my taste!" Then you wonder "Is FedEx Lou going to be sleeping in those hangars?! I'll be deaf listening to him!" Well, unfortunately, Lou can't make it this year...but there will be others who snore! "Geez, Doc Randy will be around there and will likely turn me in to the FAA for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea!" you might be thinkin'. Nope, Doc Randy will make a pledge on a stack of AOPA magazines that he won't do that!

Shoot, we might even get a projector and watch an aviation movie if the live music doesn't happen!

The next morning you will be awakened by the smell of coffee and breakfast provided by...yes, you guessed right...Smokin' Bonz very own Dave Z! Splash some water on that leathery face of yours and you will be ready to take in Day 2 of the GMAG! Hell's Bells, you are going to be able to hear Laura and Steve Johnson speak about "Soaring With Sharks: A Primer and Travelogue on Flying to the Bahamas"!

We are working out the details, folks, but I think this Sleep Over will be a real hoot! An Adventure! Purifying for the Soul. So those of you who think you just might be able...weather permitting...to fly into the beautiful, non-towered KCFE airport, please stay tuned! We need you there!

Randy
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Is the snow gone yet?
    There you go, Eddie, with those negative waves (quoting Odd Ball from Kelly's Heroes). Of Course (most of) it is gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't call it Minasnowda for nuttin! Seriously, sounds like a great event!

Name:	DF0CDCCC-7166-41E6-A9C4-B16B6AC20F80.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	42416
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes jrussl, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished eating some of their ribs and pizza from their restaurant. Don’t worry about the snow Eddy it’s gone until this Thursday when we are suppose to get up to 12” possibly.

Post Thanks / Like
    We Issa bout outta snow, but since you requested, 8-12” this wed and 8-12” thurs.........will be gone by GMAG, or July 4th.
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me in if your haven a bonfire .
    Likes SJ, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We are working on details for the potential to let us sleep under the wings of our aircraft. Buffalo has a policy of "no camping" on city property, thus the conundrum. I'll post updates here as I receive them.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	0D0C3C6E-DDE9-4C98-B836-DDEF471A6583.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	42431
    Last edited by charlie husky; 04-09-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: X

Post Thanks / Like
    AirNav lists KCFE AD building as pilot rest/snooze area

Post Thanks / Like
    Before my children were teenagers, I often said ”It is better to ask forgiveness than permission.”

When they became teenagers, I recanted that statement.

Now that my children are now adults (and not following Supercub.org), I regress to ”It is better to ask forgiveness than permission.”

Having written this, I encourage my distinguished aviators to do what you need to do to attend the GAMG. Should wx dictate, we will have warm hangars available into which to pitch your cot, your sleeping pad and your sleeping bag.

I am thinking this is going to be a pretty darned fun event. Snore all you want in the brisk, crisp Minnesota air. This AME will not be patrolling the airport to report offenders. Not even Lou

Randy
    Thanks charlie husky thanked for this post
    Likes brown bear, Bill Rusk, charlie husky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My co-pilot wants to confirm the hangar barracks will be co-ed?

Is there useable grass (under the snow) for landing?

George

Post Thanks / Like
    George, thanks for the note! Yup, it will be co-ed.

There is a stretch of grass on the East and South side of the airport which many locals use for ops. It appears that significant drying is occurring, and it should be OK. Please stay tuned to www.mnpilots.org/gmag for updates on airport conditions. We hope you two can make it up. I am biased, but think this is gonna be a real hoot!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, a question that has come up is to the availability of rental cars at the Buffalo Municipal airport. Worry no more! West Metro Aviation can arrange cars for you to rent from Enterprise. Call West Metro Aviation at (763) 682-1516. They can make arrangements!

One of the things we are excited about this year, though, is the addition of camping on the airport either under your aircraft wing or in one of the heated hangars (Yup, Co-ed) at the airport.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it may be a bit brisk for the Friday evening activities at the 2019 GMAG, but we have it on good authority that we will be able to enjoy a bonfire Friday evening while the High 48's perform their lonesome Bluegrass music!

Name:	Bonfire.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	42512

Bring your folding chairs with you, along with your tie downs for your aircraft!

Randy