Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Covering My Arse...Where to Have Seats Recovered/Remodeled...Take 2

  1. #1
    WindOnHisNose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
    Posts
    4,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Covering My Arse...Where to Have Seats Recovered/Remodeled...Take 2

    OK, I botched up the thread with regard to getting my seats covered.

    I hate to admit it, but loaning my super cub to Santa comes with some adverse outcomes...it seems that Santa's arse is so blasted fat that he wore the front seat out, getting in and out, to the point that it is thread-bare. I need to get it recovered, and while I am at it I want to have the rear seat recovered and reconfigured, as well.

    With regard to the rear seat, the current version is so thick in the aft part of the seat that it makes it really difficult to lift the seat to get to the underseat storage. I want that fixed, too, while I am at it.

    I appreciate the comments that were left late last night, and would like to hear more, including any suggestions on how the seats should be built up.

    Many thanks, and please accept my apologies for making that thread go away.

    Randy

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    sioux lookout
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked my Oregon aero seats, very comfy and wore well
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes JDWilliams, OLDCROWE liked this post

  3. #3
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    OK, I botched up the thread with regard to getting my seats covered.

    I hate to admit it, but loaning my super cub to Santa comes with some adverse outcomes...it seems that Santa's arse is so blasted fat that he wore the front seat out, getting in and out, to the point that it is thread-bare. I need to get it recovered, and while I am at it I want to have the rear seat recovered and reconfigured, as well.

    With regard to the rear seat, the current version is so thick in the aft part of the seat that it makes it really difficult to lift the seat to get to the underseat storage. I want that fixed, too, while I am at it.

    I appreciate the comments that were left late last night, and would like to hear more, including any suggestions on how the seats should be built up.

    Many thanks, and please accept my apologies for making that thread go away.

    Randy
    I would think that you being a birthing GYN that you would be well versed in where to place a proper stitch. At least that's what the local GYN who delivered my kids told me.

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the temper foam seat bottom and back. Dependind on the height of the seat you want I would do a two or three inch sick on the bottom. They have a chart on thicknesses, top layer of medium with cut outs and inserts of the pink foam for the pelvic bones. If you do a search there is a picture of how Oregon arrow does it. Also I would put a lumbar support of the pink foam in the back. You can put those little side pieces on the bottom if you like also. The temper foam is like sitting on a rock when it is cold, but warm is very fast. I redid the seats in the pacer myself and it went from barely being able to tolerate four hours to eight hours of flying without any problems. I am not a big fan of fine line they took several months to get my order done.
    DENNY
    Last edited by DENNY; 01-19-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Likes Beaverpilot liked this post

  5. #5
    TirolCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oregon Aero is the way to go, Temper Foam well worth the money ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes JDWilliams, OLDCROWE, flylow liked this post

  6. #6
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TirolCub View Post
    Oregon Aero is the way to go, Temper Foam well worth the money ...
    Except it’s a brick in the cold. Flew the other day when it was 12 and the seat never warmed up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a happy Fine Line customer. Doug's done all my airplane seats and I can't think of anything I could improve upon. Different density of foam in the right places. Properly fitted bolsters. And while I like leather in cars, I prefer fabric in airplanes. Just enough sticktion.

    IMG_5072.JPG

    IMG_5074.JPG


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  8. #8
    SJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kansas City, USA
    Posts
    14,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Just enough sticktion.
    Not to mention they don't (seem to) get as cold! Have fabric in my truck too, I prefer them all the way around.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dress better for the cold in my plane, but I get it. To the appropriate clothing for winter weather thing, if your butt is warming your memory foam in winter you aren't dressed properly. I won't use memory foam in an airplane seat for that reason.
    Thanks tbone thanked for this post

  10. #10
    SJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kansas City, USA
    Posts
    14,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    The old memory foam in my cub is getting forgetful anyway. Time to do something different after 1700 hours.

    sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

  11. #11
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I dress better for the cold in my plane, but I get it. To the appropriate clothing for winter weather thing, if your butt is warming your memory foam in winter you aren't dressed properly. I won't use memory foam in an airplane seat for that reason.
    Stewart,
    You must have the coldest butt on the planet. Virtually ALL insulative value in clothing results from that clothings’ ability to trap air close to your body. Sitting on said clothing compresses it, and effectively reduces its insulative value.

    I will grant that high density foam is brick like when cold, but it warms when you sit on it, regardless of how thick your butt insulation is.

    For twenty years I worked ski planes in very cold temps, north of Fairbanks. Those airplanes were often parked overnight in “fairly cold” places like Fort Yukon and Beaver. All had high density foam seats. And, yes it took some time in the morning to warm them up, but after a half hour, seat belts were loose, and had to be tightened.

    I loved those seats, but then, I was often spending six hours plus in them per day.

    So, apparently, your under garments are styrofoam? Cause otherwise, they should be very poor insulators when sat on anyway.....and the seat cushion then takes over that task.

    MTV
    Likes TirolCub, WWhunter liked this post

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Memory foam relaxes by being worked, too, as most of us with memory foam mattresses know. If your seat is comfy in 80* summer weather there's zero way you'll get the same foam temps in the cold until your cabin heat warms the foam. I dress for the cold so don't use much cabin heat except to keep windows clear and breath fog manageable.

    Because you have different preferences doesn't make others wrong.
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about adding a inflatable lumbar support to the back for the really long flights. I also prefer cloth seats over leather.
    DENNY

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Meanwhile,...
    Posts
    4,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, Oregon Arrow.

    Give them a call.

    Here's my suggestions.

    Leather, all around and their standard leather is nice. Also they can easily embroider the seat backs with Mr. and Mrs. Claus...

    Front: Thick set bottom, thin seat back with lumbar support. Also have them put a zipper pouch in the back of front seat back for documents and put the phone pouch horizontal on the top portion of the seat back or it messes a little with the rear stick going full forward. Also DELETE the stock shoulder harness slit in the seat top and if you have the folding front seat STC or want it, tell them and they can make appropriate changes.

    Rear: Thin bottom and thin back with lumbar support.

    Kirby

    Ps. Other thing I did was have them make a small 1"wide by 6" long x 3/4" thick elbow pad to match the seats with Velcro on the bottom. Place this strategically on top of the throttle cover panel, you'll thank me later.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 01-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes Beaverpilot liked this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll echo Stewards Fine line recommendations, I’ve had them make seats for 4 cub builds and I’ll use them for my next one too.

    9FC116FA-A4E0-4213-9807-51F21D728EB4.jpeg

  16. #16
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got new seats from sport aircraft seats. They fit perfectly, and fit the carbon concepts seat back like a glove. Hopefully I’ll get some time in them this weekend


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Just got new seats from sport aircraft seats. They fit perfectly, and fit the carbon concepts seat back like a glove. Hopefully I’ll get some time in them this weekend


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just spent 5 hours in them today, they are comfy. I’m very happy with them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes TirolCub liked this post

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lake Metigoshe, ND
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that Oregon Aero was the best, so I called there December 5th, 2018 and David said they were 60 days out on recovering seats, so I asked to be put in the Que for a March 1st recover. I e-mailed him the middle of January and told him I was sending him the seats out of my Cub in February 15th and to make sure I was in the Que for March 1st, and he said they were now 90 days out on a recover. I sent my seats to them February 15th, and called him on March 10th to see if they had arrived, and told him I would make the 50 % deposit like they wanted before they start on them. He told me he would call me for the deposit when they start recovering them. It's now April 5th, and I haven't heard anything, and they still have my seats, so I haven't been able to fly my Cub. Just a warning, they aren't fast at getting your seats recovered if your in a hurry.
    Thanks Bender thanked for this post

  19. #19
    TurboBeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Maine
    Posts
    604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brekkeaerial View Post
    I heard that Oregon Aero was the best, so I called there December 5th, 2018 and David said they were 60 days out on recovering seats, so I asked to be put in the Que for a March 1st recover. I e-mailed him the middle of January and told him I was sending him the seats out of my Cub in February 15th and to make sure I was in the Que for March 1st, and he said they were now 90 days out on a recover. I sent my seats to them February 15th, and called him on March 10th to see if they had arrived, and told him I would make the 50 % deposit like they wanted before they start on them. He told me he would call me for the deposit when they start recovering them. It's now April 5th, and I haven't heard anything, and they still have my seats, so I haven't been able to fly my Cub. Just a warning, they aren't fast at getting your seats recovered if your in a hurry.
    Crazy delay for seat recover......... I have seen alot of their work. They do good work : however the costs are getting crazy! When I was looking at airplanes in mid 1970's there was a nice 85hp Commonwealth Skyranger
    that had recently been covered with Ceconite/ Dope on skis for $1995! It actually sold for $1700..... Or a compleate AIRPLANE. Flying, in annual ,
    for less than it cost to get your seats recovered in a cub............hummmm
    Seams crazy doesnt it??????

    Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lake Metigoshe, ND
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cub seats

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Crazy delay for seat recover......... I have seen alot of their work. They do good work : however the costs are getting crazy! When I was looking at airplanes in mid 1970's there was a nice 85hp Commonwealth Skyranger
    that had recently been covered with Ceconite/ Dope on skis for $1995! It actually sold for $1700..... Or a compleate AIRPLANE. Flying, in annual ,
    for less than it cost to get your seats recovered in a cub............hummmm
    Seams crazy doesnt it??????

    Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    I agree, crazy expensive. It's going to cost me somewhere around $2,500 for the front and rear seats

  21. #21
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    I send them a junk set of seats, I'm a hoarder so keep stuff like that. Have had delivery issues from them and had to send stuff back because they were not done per my requests. They were done correctly and they have been great seats.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  22. #22
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sport aircraft seats only took a few weeks to get them done and to me. I’m very happy with them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    WWhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    SCS Interiors in Duluth, MN. Spoke with them today about doing my Rebel seats. They have several different types of foam. The DAX was suggested as the best of their offerings. Used in long distance business jets. I was quoted around $800/seat with leather. Wait time is a couple months out. What the heck, everyone redoing their seats now?
    Last edited by WWhunter; 04-08-2019 at 02:28 PM.

  24. #24
    Bearhawk Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like
    A long wait but nice resultsIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    SCS Interiors in Duluth, MN. Spoke with them today about doing my Rebel seats. They have several different types of foam. The DAX was suggested as the best of their offerings. Used in long distance business jets. I was quoted around $800/seat with leather. Wait time is a couple months out. What the heck, everyone redoing their seats now?
    I think people are spending money on planes again in general, I've been having to wait for parts from almost all venders lately, the avionics shop here is booked out a year, I'm booked out 2 years right now the local mechanic is swamped as is my engine guy. It's go go go until it busts again.
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

  26. #26
    WWhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, I think you're right!! Economy is definitely headed in the right direction!

    Bearhawk builder, who did those? Look very nice!!

  27. #27
    Bearhawk Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the woods
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oregon Aero, I had posted some time ago pissing about the time wait but they came out nice. And I will say they realized the wait was over the top and they tried to make it right. In my case it didn't slow me down too much but if you're grounded for just the seats I might look elsewhere.
    Thanks WWhunter thanked for this post
    Likes Gordon Misch liked this post

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regaurding Oregon Aero. My friend sent them seats in October and just got them last week. Along the way they told him they had an employee embezzle from them and apparently were on COD with vendors and such. Sounded like they had a rough go of it.

  29. #29
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding Oregon Aero.....they generally insist they need your seats, but frankly, the Super Cub seat cushions are in fact slip on for the seat back and velcro'd on the bottom. In past, I told them to just ship me an upholstered set of cushions, which they did. For a Cub or Husky, that's what I did.

    The company had some problems last year, and they are trying to get back on their feet. They've had monetary issues. I spoke with David Esterline, their sales guy, at Sun N Fun last Friday, and he assured me that they have the problems (the leaks he called them) fixed and that they are back on their feet monetarily.

    They are indeed a great company, and I'm glad that they've figured things out and are back in business. They had my seats for longer than projected, but David gave me a VERY significant discount as a result. They are trying to treat their customers as fairly as possible.

    I'd go with them again. Their workmanship is simply the best there is.

    MTV

  30. #30
    Gordon Misch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Toledo, Wa (KTDO)
    Posts
    3,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I might have already posted this, but Oregon Aero did my seats at rebuild in 2011. Turned out that on long flights I had a bit of a pressure point on my leg, so flew down to them at Scappoose, Or. last summer to ask what they thought.

    Dave Esterline and a lady from the shop met me on the ramp as I taxied in (imagine that!), heard me out and promptly brought out a foam wedge to go under the bottom cushion, that they thought might help. They said go try it - and if it works, great and no charge. If it doesn't, come on back and we'll figure out a better solution. I'm less than an hour flight from their facility, so that helps, of course.

    It worked, and I couldn't be happier with their response. Thank you Dave and company!

    I read this somewhere in an EAA pub decades ago - - - During construction, sit in your seat with a book for a couple hours to evaluate the comfort factor. Then, adapt as needed.
    Last edited by Gordon Misch; 04-09-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    Gordon

    N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes Just call me Al, OLDCROWE liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Dang Birds Finally Got Me in the Arse
    By SJ in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 06:43 PM
  2. New Seats By Sport Aircraft Seats
    By SchulerJL in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 06:19 PM
  3. Malaysian Airline flt370 recovered part
    By C-YQK in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •