Thread: R C Allen low voltage warner, wiring details/diagram

Post Thanks / Like

R C Allen low voltage warner, wiring details/diagram

Does anyone know the correct wiring order of the 3 wires on the circuit board, to the 3 terminals in the warning light plug please?

Also the correct fuse to use?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    What system are you using? All the low voltage lights I'm seeing only use two wires directly to the light.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    What system are you using? All the low voltage lights I'm seeing only use two wires directly to the light.

Web
    Thanks for the quick response Web Itís the R C Allen 14v one. In all the pics Iíve seen, the bulb unit looks to be connected to the long tube unit (that looks like an orange/red shotgun cartridge) but in my aircraft theyíre separate and the 3 wires that connect the units together were so brittle they came apart when touching wiring nearby, hence my question

The other end of the shotgun cartridge DOES have just 2 wires, black and white

Post Thanks / Like
    This is like mine, except the bulb housing is separate from the long tube and connected by the famous 3 wiresIMG_4373.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it supposed to be separate? If not, you may have to contact RC Allen for info.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it supposed to be separate? If not, you may have to contact RC Allen for info.

Web
    From looking at the pics, Iíd say it was supposed to be one piece, but looks like itís come apart over time.

Iíve put an email in to R C Allen support and hope itís fixable, but as the fuse was blown and of an indeterminate amperage, could be board component damage as the wires may have shorted out.

If it is toast, think Iíll just replace it with a voltmeter as much more useful I think, any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check this out https://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?11 I have one in my Cub it tells me what the alternator/generator amperage output is. The bus voltage and the amount of amperage going into or out of the battery. Tells me everything that I need to know, accurate to one decimal point.

N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Philly

I pulled this up from the LAA TL3.26 (Technical leaflet)

"A low voltage warning light is still mandated on certain UK aircraft with Certificates of Airworthiness by means of Generic Requirement 6 in CAP 747."

Possibly worth a read

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have to verify any legal requirements, but the most useful electrical monitor is a unit that allows you to read voltage AND amps. If you are required to have a voltage warning light installed, consider a unit like the Electronics International VA-1A. It reads volts, amps, and has over/under voltage lights built in.

Traditionally the shunt for the ammeter was placed in the main bus wire. With a generator this made sense as when a generator stops charging, current from the battery will flow to ground through the generator itself, showing as current coming FROM the battery instead of INTO the battery (reverse current). If you have an alternator installed, I prefer to install the shunt in the alternator output lead. Alternators will not create a reverse current situation, if they stop charging, as they use diodes to control current flow and diodes only allow that flow in one direction. This shunt location will allow you to monitor total current flow from you alternator at any time, which is useful for troubleshooting. It also allows you to actually measure the current flow to individual systems by noting the amps reading before and after turning on a switch/breaker. For example, you show a reading of three amps on the ammeter. You turn on the nav lights and the ammeter shows five amps. Therefore your nav lights pull two amps. In the future, if you turn on the nav lights and the ammeter does not increase by two amps, you know at least one of them is inoperative.

As for normal monitoring of the charging system, I prefer watching the voltage. Over or under voltage conditions usually show up quickly and catching those conditions can keep you from burning out components or allowing you to turn off systems to preserve battery voltage for the trip home. If you only have an ammeter, how do you know what is causing a high or low reading?

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Check this out https://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?11 I have one in my Cub it tells me what the alternator/generator amperage output is. The bus voltage and the amount of amperage going into or out of the battery. Tells me everything that I need to know, accurate to one decimal point.

Looks FAB!!! Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coxcub View Post
    Philly

I pulled this up from the LAA TL3.26 (Technical leaflet)

"A low voltage warning light is still mandated on certain UK aircraft with Certificates of Airworthiness by means of Generic Requirement 6 in CAP 747."

Possibly worth a read

Frank
    Thanks for this Frank As my 12 is on an LAA permit this isnít compulsory, but we always consider this kind of compulsory stuff as very probably good to have and Iíd already decided to source a replacement if the low volt system couldnít be fixed

Last edited by Philly5G; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this one? It has a discharge light and an over voltage light:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 3.41.27 PM.png

It's probably overkill just for a light, but it's pretty bulletproof.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to verify any legal requirements, but the most useful electrical monitor is a unit that allows you to read voltage AND amps. If you are required to have a voltage warning light installed, consider a unit like the Electronics International VA-1A. It reads volts, amps, and has over/under voltage lights built in.

Traditionally the shunt for the ammeter was placed in the main bus wire. With a generator this made sense as when a generator stops charging, current from the battery will flow to ground through the generator itself, showing as current coming FROM the battery instead of INTO the battery (reverse current). If you have an alternator installed, I prefer to install the shunt in the alternator output lead. Alternators will not create a reverse current situation, if they stop charging, as they use diodes to control current flow and diodes only allow that flow in one direction. This shunt location will allow you to monitor total current flow from you alternator at any time, which is useful for troubleshooting. It also allows you to actually measure the current flow to individual systems by noting the amps reading before and after turning on a switch/breaker. For example, you show a reading of three amps on the ammeter. You turn on the nav lights and the ammeter shows five amps. Therefore your nav lights pull two amps. In the future, if you turn on the nav lights and the ammeter does not increase by two amps, you know at least one of them is inoperative.

As for normal monitoring of the charging system, I prefer watching the voltage. Over or under voltage conditions usually show up quickly and catching those conditions can keep you from burning out components or allowing you to turn off systems to preserve battery voltage for the trip home. If you only have an ammeter, how do you know what is causing a high or low reading?

Web
    BRILLIANT!!! Thanks for this Web!! Read on for the last thrilling instalment!!!

Thanks to the ace team at Kelly Manufacturing, Heather, Josh and James, who make the R C Allen stuff and dug out and sent me the wiring details (attached) and fuse spec (250V 1A) and after pulling a night shift tonight, the low volts light is restored to health and looks to be working as before HOORAY!!!

On searching for a panel mount USB port to charge my phone when using it for GPS nav, I came across one with an inbuilt voltmeter yesterday and initial radio noise testing when iPhone charging tonight has been very successful

Itís obviously nowhere near as sophisticated or industrial strength as the fantastic devices suggested above, but itís more info than I had before AND at a tiny fraction of the budget the nicer ones cost. Iíll give it an air test and feedback on its value and whether I end up splashing out on the grown up version

Thanks to everyone whoís contributed to this thread (and my others) and I hope the info Iíve found will help someone else IMG_4380.JPGIMG_4381.JPGIMG_4384.JPGIMG_4379.JPGIMG_4386.JPGIMG_4387.JPG

Last edited by Philly5G; Yesterday at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep one of those cigarette lighter, plug in, volt meters to loan out for troubleshooting. Takes the mystery out of a straight ammeter.

Let us know how the flight test works out.

Web

Post Thanks / Like

This one is plumbed into the 12V wiring system via 2 spade terminals on the back Web and I completely get the mystery removal thing over just an ammeter. My BA4B had a similar digital voltmeter and I found it WAY more informative than the minor needle movements of the ammeter, which are basically just a +/- indication.

I bought it 99% for the USB ports and the voltmeter is a bonus and topical, given the subject of this thread. I was using my meter to test the volts and resistance when wiring the low volt stuff and this little voltmeter was spot on in sync

The lack of radio interference from the USB ports under load is a really nice surprise, as I was pretty much expecting it

Iíll let you know if it continues to be good in the air

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Last edited by Philly5G; Yesterday at 08:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I rempved it in favor of a tablet with GPS app,
    but my old Garmin 196 which I'd hardwired into the aircraft power included "voltage" in the available data fields.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!