Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Intro

Post Thanks / Like

Intro

Hello Guys and Gals

Just wanted to say hello, my name is John, been lurking for a month or so. Owned a PA-12 fifteen years ago and was lucky enough to pick up a PA 14 a couple weeks ago. It has had a partial restoration started but I'm going to undo some of that. I have been studying quite a bit and am compiling a list of potential mods for it. I will most likely have some questions in the future and didn't want to start out here with a question. I've spent my career in the welding trade and have worked on more than a share of planes so most of the metal work will not be overwhelming for me. I'm in NW Washington state. Thanks for being here and look forward to talking more with you in the future!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome John, don't forget this site is like a Playboy magazine, we like to see pictures

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair, SJ, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope this worksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190102_135040.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	40875

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in NW WA? I'm in PT.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    BLI , Been to PT several times to shoot, my son and I shoot competitively. I heard they were trying or did shut down the shooting range there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

Weld, planes, shooting irons... we need to see pictures of those also!

Happen to ride motorcycles also?

You will need to bring that 14 up my way when you get her in the air. should be a fun project to build and fly!!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    here's a fewClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180426_111308.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	40905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160107_115350.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	40906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190107_082950.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	40907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180929_160737.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	40908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181209_134911.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	40909

Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly do production welding now, don't have to leave the shop! The boat I built from scratch 32'. We shoot steel challenge, my sons rifle he's a lefty 4lbs 8oz. 22lr. Picture of his team that I coach took 2nd place at the scholastic action shooting program national championships in Ohio this last summer they shoot in intermediate optic rifle division.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes does look like 14's have a way of migrating to Alaska! No motorcycles, too many dumbdumbs on the road down here!
    Last edited by flydipper; 01-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flydipper View Post
    BLI , Been to PT several times to shoot, my son and I shoot competitively. I heard they were trying or did shut down the shooting range there!
    Some people in the county (unfortunagtely including some of the county leaders) would like to prevent a local businessman from developing a new commercial shooting range which would also incorporate law enforcement / military training facilities. The regulation(s) they have been attempting to get in place might unfortunately include the JC Sportsmans Assn ranges as collateral damage.

I used to shoot some steel challenge matches about 35 years ago, in the Southwest Pistol League.
    I was seriously over-matched but it was fun.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Some people in the county (unfortunagtely including some of the county leaders) would like to prevent a local businessman from developing a new commercial shooting range which would also incorporate law enforcement / military training facilities. The regulation(s) they have been attempting to get in place might unfortunately include the JC Sportsmans Assn ranges as collateral damage.

I used to shoot some steel challenge matches about 35 years ago, in the Southwest Pistol League.
    I was seriously over-matched but it was fun.
    Sad, I am the VP of the board at our local club with almost 3k members and a very robust kids program in a variety of disciplines. The LE contracts provide the ability for us provide about $30k worth of grants to the various kids shooting programs per year as well as the ability to continue to improve our club and make it safer. We are also buying up as much land as we can afford that surrounds us to prevent sprawl from getting us shutdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I owned a PA-14 for about 10 years then moved on to an American Legend Cub. The -14 was a great airplane. Mine was 0-320 powered (150 hp is a must) with PA-18 tailfeathers. I made a mistake by not putting in the PA-18 trim system, the original system tended to slip. VG's were a good addition as well. Mine looked stock and flew great.

It is not a four place airplane by todays standards unless two of the passengers are tiny. It is also not a Supercub. It is a little faster and uses a little more runway. Resist the urge to turn it into an -18 (or comparing it to a SuperCub). It is great as is. Solo cross country in the -14 is a luxury compared to an -18.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Ed

Ed

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy is gonna fit right in.

Welcome to the club, John. Glad to have you join us.

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes Mike Woodson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    This guy is gonna fit right in.

Welcome to the club, John. Glad to have you join us.

Bill
    Thanks Bill you guys have quite a talented bunch here and would be proud to fit in!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasater View Post
    John,

I owned a PA-14 for about 10 years then moved on to an American Legend Cub. The -14 was a great airplane. Mine was 0-320 powered (150 hp is a must) with PA-18 tailfeathers. I made a mistake by not putting in the PA-18 trim system, the original system tended to slip. VG's were a good addition as well. Mine looked stock and flew great.

It is not a four place airplane by todays standards unless two of the passengers are tiny. It is also not a Supercub. It is a little faster and uses a little more runway. Resist the urge to turn it into an -18 (or comparing it to a SuperCub). It is great as is. Solo cross country in the -14 is a luxury compared to an -18.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Ed

Ed

Hi Ed

You are almost verbatim using the same words as Clyde Smith when I spoke with him last week. Wings and Frame both verified to plane serial # Hard to believe Red wax crayon was still there after 70 years barely but legibly enough for me to give him the correct numbers.
    I will be putting a 160hp on it, left hand door, gross weight upgrade and new tanks (probably 23 gal. Dakotas). X-brace and skylight. The metal work is easy for me so it would be a no brainer to do those things. I really appreciate the heads up on the 18 trim system. I was wondering about that. The family I purchased it from gave me lots of STC prints from previous projects the deceased owner had done one of which is the LH door from Kenmore for a 12. With the FAA site being down I can't research all the STC's for a 14 at the moment. My son is 11 and this plane is so perfect for him to get an introduction to flying with being able to sit side by side but still the ragwing that I like so much. Thanks for giving input!

John
    Last edited by flydipper; 01-15-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also tailfeathers and VGs. couldn't get it to edit for some reason!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site John and good luck on your project.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussl View Post
    Welcome to the site John and good luck on your project.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Thank you and great to be here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Flydipper. PM me. I'm in Anacortes rebuilding my 12 and have probably all the STC info and plans you might need..(except the left hand door)

another John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flydipper View Post
    Thank you and great to be here!
    Again welcome aboard! Sounds like a great
    project on one of Pipers finest airplanes!
    John do yourself a big favor and ditch that old 1920's technology bail style gascolator... Get yourself a new Steves Gascolator before you ever push the power
    ahead the first time. Your 32 footer looks nice! I used to spot fish for the Nybloods
    Of All Points Marine in Marysville. Your tig
    Welds look mighty nice!
    I have had a few 12's over the years and flown some 14's and they are a wonderful
    ship. Good Luck on the project.
    Earle

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Again welcome aboard! Sounds like a great
    project on one of Pipers finest airplanes!
    John do yourself a big favor and ditch that old 1920's technology bail style gascolator... Get yourself a new Steves Gascolator before you ever push the power
    ahead the first time. Your 32 footer looks nice! I used to spot fish for the Nybloods
    Of All Points Marine in Marysville. Your tig
    Welds look mighty nice!
    I have had a few 12's over the years and flown some 14's and they are a wonderful
    ship. Good Luck on the project.
    Earle

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks for the heads up on the gascolator, I have a Steve's model SA3-00 on the list!

Thank you for the compliments, 34 years of practicing!

Post Thanks / Like
    The cowbell looking piece in my pics is actually the bathroom faucet for a boeing 737 not sure what all models it's relevant to but is a real challenge, the flange is about 2.5" down inside and tapers to about 1.25"