• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Favorite Airplane

Wag2+2

FRIEND
West Michigan
I’ve only owned 2 airplanes, a Skyhawk and the Wag Aero 2+2 I have now. Like the versatility and side by side seating in the Super Cub class plane. The Cessna 180 class also looks desirable. I know there are different planes for different missions but would be interested in hearing what some favorites are and why. The iconic Beaver is certainly my favorite but not practical or affordable.

The 185 has a good balance of power, performance, payload and is a nice flying airplane.

If I were paid to fly: Beaver, C-185, PA-18, Scout
If I could afford to fly and maintain: C-185
If I were a Private Pilot: PA-18, Scout, Pacer
If I look at my airport lot: Taylorcraft

Gary

Mine. Skywagon and modernized Cub. No coincidence. They aren’t favorites because I have them, I have them because they’re favorites.

Last edited:
If I had money - Bonanza, Pitts, and -18. But I don't, so my -12 is my absolute favorite. :smile: Banter aside, I am SO GRATEFUL!

Last edited:
The Cub is cool and all.....but the plane I flew in my younger days is still my baby. After it’s restoration only 20 original rivets remain and still flies hands off.

Attachments

• 14146525-6A71-4F03-8CD8-0873194F5622.jpeg
    14146525-6A71-4F03-8CD8-0873194F5622.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 429
3 favorites, all best in class it seems to me.. L-19, U206G, DHC-3. I also have a much modified J3 Cub and it is a favorite for sentimental reasons but for the purpose of each, the aforementioned are my favorite airplanes.

Not the plane for what I do now, but if I was a lower 48 weekend runway flyer I would have to look hard at a Cessna 195. With no money I would look for a Pacer.
DENNY

After a long time and being lucky to fly many types, drum roll...the venerable PA18!

The Pitts is a contender but am happier in the Super Cub, although a good many years would be required to be a decent pilot in the Pitts.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have not flown all the airplanes YET so it is hard to have a favorite... :smile:

sj

For the most part it is whatever I'm flying at the time. After giving it some thought I would have to say the one from which I learned the most, the one which led to opening the most doors, the one which gave me the opportunity to be able to fly the most different types, the one in which I taught the Worlds highest authority in the type to fly would be the 150 HP Colonial C-1 "Skimmer". Had I not had the experiences which this plane provided to me would I have been in a position to be in the right place at the right time, so many times, to be able to now look back and say
"Wow, What a Ride I have had!". .......When do we start growing up? :onfire:

A tailwheel airplane! But im not too picky. Only hopes are it has more power than the Wright flyer and preferably doesn't sound like a weed eater.

My favorites have been Pitts, L19(O1D) and Bonanza although I don't know what the old Bird Dog is good for except spotting and other airplanes can do that cheaper. That said the most fun we had was flying the O1D in a military flying club. At $11/hour wet it was the best deal I ever had. Then I messed it up by buying an airplane, C120. I guess Marcia and I got a lot of bang for the buck with the C120 too. Then I ruined that by buying a S1C Pitts. The The old 35G Bonanza at $12/hour in the flying club was a trip too.

If money were no object I guess a DC3 or a Antonov AN2

Jack

Last edited:
Pete: Never!

Whatever I can fly on someone else's nickel is usually a great bird to fly!! If I am getting paid, so much the better. Mostly anymore, a plane is a tool for me. I use it to access where I want to go. Having one plane is a compromise, hence the middle ground having the Maule. Great bird to hunt with- STOL, fast and will carry a load for much less than the Cessna Counterparts, but handling in the air and ground is not the same. I look at planes a bit differently I guess, a guy really needs two or three actually.

While everyone loves the Beaver, it sucks to unload and load a half ton every 20 minutes- gets tiring. Worse on Wheels!

Some of the most fun flying I have had has been in cubs and my old champ. Light controls and no electric is a kick. Not having to feel responsible to listen and just having ear plugs!!! J-3 is fun also.

Bill Tracy checking me out in the Chipmunk was a hoot! Would not count out that bird or that flight.

The old Stinson Gullwing was like taking an old Buick through the sky... and the Bonanza is quite a stable ride.

So many great planes- but if you wanted to focus more:

Travel: (if not turbine) for me was the Bonanza- fast and stable

Light Controls: Any DeHavilland, Otter was fantastic

Cheap just in the air: Champ/Cub- Cub if windy at all for power

Hunting: -18 hands down

Want to make a statement: Gullwing!

Floats: 180 hp Cub, unless you are working hard then a 185 w/550 and extended wing, sportsman stop; Aerocett Floats!!!!

1BE7D7FC-BF0F-4F78-A49D-83C3A08669C8.jpegA75619BE-884E-42CC-B940-F9BD79D3D010.png

My mission as of 2019:

Personal aircraft that one person can maintain (me) and new parts are available.

(R44 is approved from factory for 91 unleaded. Scout is STCed unleaded.)

Attachments

• 1BE7D7FC-BF0F-4F78-A49D-83C3A08669C8.jpeg
    1BE7D7FC-BF0F-4F78-A49D-83C3A08669C8.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 330
  • A75619BE-884E-42CC-B940-F9BD79D3D010.png
    A75619BE-884E-42CC-B940-F9BD79D3D010.png
    779.3 KB · Views: 411
George, don't look down your nose at it. It was a great teaching airplane. Under powered, retractable gear, constant speed prop, touchy seaplane characteristics, taught me flight testing also as it was my first wing extension project. Bought it as a wreck for $2100 when I was only earning $75 a week before taxes.

Now a Gull winged Stinson V-77 and an SR, those too are fine airplanes.

I take back everything I said in my previous post. My favorite airplane is one that pays the bills and supports my kids, hobbies and ex.LOL

Many times I’ve been asked my favorite airplane. For years my standard answer was “the one they’re paying me to fly”. But really, I’ve enjoyed every airplane and helicopter I’ve flown.

"Wow, What a Ride I have had!". .......When do we start growing up? :onfire:

It was to this question I answered: NEVER!!

The older I get, the more I appreciate ALL aircraft. Cessna 150, Cheorkee 140 (with hand brake), Piper Traumahawk... beats driving my pickup anyway!

Cessna 180 overall. Now 0360 Bushmaster for hunting and fishing small lakes. Experimental removed torment. Affordable, sort of a mini 185.

MD-11, PA-18, early C-180, BE-18, B727, B747, DC-8, DC-10, LR-JET in that order.
Lou

Carbon cub, T38, C130H3, A319 (loved the F4 but I was a WSO and never flew it in the front seat)

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

MD-11, PA-18, early C-180, BE-18, B727, B747, DC-8, DC-10, LR-JET in that order.
Lou

Lou, I don't share your admiration of the MD-11, I did not care for it at al. I loved the DC-10 and the 787 is incredible! 727 was fun too, just not across the gulf of Mexico on a summer day at max weight trying to dodge thunderstorms. Still, Widgeon is my favorite.

Kurt

Last edited:
Kurt,
If they only knew what fun a Widgeon is all would be voting for them.
After owning 3 of them over at least a 25 year timeframe, I still want one more!!!
John

Back