• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine overhaul recommendation for C90

wdoubleday

Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any recommendations for an engine shop that has experience with the smaller continentals? I've got a C90-12F off of a Luscombe that will be repurposed for a PA-11 project. I came across Don's Dream Machines in GA as one option. Appreciate the help
Wendel

I'd be inclined to look for an engine shop close to home.
It'd be nice to be able to just haul the engine to the OH facility yourself, instead of having to ship it.
Being able to check their reputation, scope out the shop, meet the owner or person doing the work,
and be able to talk over the job in person vs via phone are all plusses too.
I'd think that most engine-specialty shops have experience with small Continentals--
they're a pretty common engine.
I would be more inclined to go with an engine overhaul shop vs an A&P who also does other work--
the term "jack of all trades but master of none" comes to mind.
(no offense to any A&P's here)
I've rather have a guy who does an engine every week do the overhaul,
instead of a guy who maybe does a couple engines a year

On the other hand, these are really simple engines. Overhaul prices are approaching $15 grand these days. They always grind your crank and resurface your case.

Forgot to mention I'm in the Seattle area. Yeah, I've heard of quotes approaching 20K for an overhaul on a small continental. Brings up the question if this is financially worth it.

if you build a house you have to put it on a good foundation, or everything crumbles. i just got a 90 case back this week from divco, 1000 bucks but o for nice, crank is at the shop getting ground .010 so i will let you know what that comes to. if its done right then you will know what you have, if your going to finish the 11 something has to pull it around. there a pretty simple engine just things need to be done right to save some headaches. if you have a good crank, case, accessory case and cam and how you want to go at those 4 things is the biggest part of it so that there good to go. getting things together overnite sometimes can cost alot also. Get that 11 back in the air. with that 90 its as good as it gets.

My C180 hit TBO not long ago, everything's still fine so no immediate plans to overhaul
but I've got it in the back of my mind for when it is necessary.
Premier Engines down in Troutdale OR is on my short list.
Avian at Bremerton does a lot of engine work,
they used to have a good rep but lately not so much.
BTW I'm in Port Townsend.

While I admit shipping an engine can be expensive, (try from/to Alaska), I look at the engine much like the tires on my motorbike: Best insurance is quality.

That said, the best shops, (and factories) have a bad day. The worst shops make some great engines.

Find a shop you can work with, that will help you if you have an issue. Pesky oil leaks on a fresh OH just irritate me to no end, but not worth paying to fix if the OH shop gives you the run around... in that case being able to fly to their shop and park in front of their door while loudly discussing the leaky new OH in front of perspective customers get it repaired quickly:wink:

That said, for me an extra 15% to ship across the country would not be a bother if it made the difference between having the best rebuild with factory tolerances, or getting an OH with everything at max limits.

As much as anything, a shop that will stand behind their product is your best choice.

Re: the oil leaks -
On a small Continental it pays to go over everything with a torque wrench at the 50 hour point, especially those nuts holding the oil sump on. A little "in-lb" torque wrench helps on the little case bolts and those tappet covers.

Back