• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Whirlwind for O-320... what length?

JP11

FRIEND
Minot, ME
Curious about the whirlwind users out there. The lighter, ground adjustable one.

I see they have lengths available from 76 to 82" . in even increments.

I suppose they would have an opinion.. I just wondered about anyone with one.

I'm running an o-320 with 160hp. Mostly just for fun, not really going anywhere... But I like the ability to crank it up for the few times I might want to take it places.

I've read a few threads on them here. Seems there are a million ideas about 'best' prop. I'm not flying contests.. Just looking for something lighter and smoother.

Currently running stock Sensenich 7454

Thanks
JP

I have run that prop for the last 1000 hours , mine is 78 inch { not on a cub , but in a Pegazair } for the 1st 800 hrs it was on a 160 hp 0320 .
Unless I was after the absolute shortest take off , I would not put the 82 inch on a 160hp 0320 , I would stay with the 76 or 78 inch . you may give up a very small amount on take off and max climb over the 82 " but it should be better than you Sensenich 7454 that you are running .
With the 76 or 78" your 0320 will be able to pull more pitch and cruise better than the 82 " I think you will cruise with or better than your Sensenich 7454 prop you have now. Whats not to like ?:smile:
If it were on a 0360 I might go the 82 "
Doug

I bought one last fall but am covering my fuselage now, and won't get it on till spring. I was under the impression that only the hub was different between the 032 and 0360 model, but used the same blades. On an 0320 it makes an 80" and on the 0360 it makes an 82"? Mine comes out to 80". Also interested in what some of you are pitching at for 160+ HP.

I have the 80 inch on my 150 hp engine. I had the pitch set at 13.5 degrees and takeoff rpm was @ 2275-2300. I lowered it to 13.0 and now I get 2400 then 2500 when I get 60 mph indicated. That’s the nice thing about the ground adjustable prop. Set the pitch to match your mission requirements.

I have one on my StarDust, 320-160hp and really like it. It's way smoother than a metal,prop and spins up fast. I have to. Really watch the RPM in a dive but pulls very good on T/O and climbs. I think it's set at 14.5* and it's a 78" prop. Whole different use in the Bi-Plane.

I’ve had 2 different planes, both with 0320/160 hp engines. One with the 80” the other the 82”
The 80” is ever so slightly faster, but the 82” definitely pulls harder, especially when your at really low air speeds.
I’ve never done pull tests, but the difference was noticeable.

I had the 82" on a 0320/160 up north and it would run high oil temps during hot days. I've ran a couple borers and several 84" Cattos on the same motor/plane and never had oil temp issues. A friend had exact same issues with the 82" on 0320. Now I have the 82" on an 0360 and have to tape the oil cooler most of the year. Id recommend the 80" for this reason, call Whirlwind and they'll recommend the same.

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to pile some hours on, and do some oil analysis to make sure all is well. Still waiting on my skis. Soon.

JP

Back