• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

piper gear legs

pilotski

FRIEND
canada
can anyone tell me if piper J3 and piper pa-18 gear legs are the same? I know they fit but is the tubing the same thickness ?

I am using 1977 Piper PA-18 gear legs on a J-3. So far, we have not been able to tell the difference.

Lots of them out there; SC guys are using HD and extended legs.

i'm going the other way I have two older cub gear legs I want to use on a homebuilt super cub one is so old it don't have provision for brakes

Well, the Super Cub gear legs have square brake attach plates, with ever so slightly different bolt hole angles. Better for Grove brakes if you want the calipers aft. But yes, totally interchangeable. And if you are experimental, some of the repro parts are better than the PMA parts, and lots less expensive. Opinion.

i'm going the other way I have two older cub gear legs I want to use on a homebuilt super cub one is so old it don't have provision for brakes
The one with no brake provisions is likely for the lower gross weight. Unless you have a method to verify that the tubes are all the same dimensions you should leave it on the wall for conversation purposes. I knew an old timer who had one of those no brake Cubs.

Back