• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A better way to get in the back of a Cub? Question for people with limited flexibility/mobility

DanP

Hudson, MA
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about mods or equipment to help people with limited flexibility or mobility get into the back of a Super Cub. My Dad has had both knees, and a hip replaced. He is also neither young, nor small so getting into the back seat is quite a chore. We normally remove the rear stick, but even then it is tricky. I have been thinking about the folding front seat option. I am also wondering about some sort of ladder or step, but am a little concerned about it falling into the fuselage or wing strut. Wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Super Cubs are hard for anyone to get in.

Above all else, consider safety first. A fall can be life threateningly catastrophic to an elderly patient. Elderly people lose core body strength from their sedentary lifestyles. A couple of adult men might be needed to help your dad in.

There are short stepladders on wheels that lock down when someone stands on them. You might try that. Also, you might try to make a couple of strategically placed wrist loops for him out of nylon dog leashes and rivets? They could attach to the tubing of the frame and slide out of the way once he's in.

Well, first hopefully it is a land plane with small tires. I get in and out of Cubs like that, either seat, twice a day. A simple milk carton may help, and wrist straps are a good idea.

for an amphib, or big tires, or (ugh) a Husky, getting in and out is difficult for me, and I can still do the slow motion Jim C mount after hand start (barely). It is impossible for older folks who do not practice (old here being a 40 year old who works in an office and doesn’t work out). I am 78.

I fly a fair amount of older/large people in the back of my cub. The folding seat helps a lot. Having a step and straps Tennessee mentioned would also be very helpful. As they start into the back seat, I tell passengers to stick his/her head forward until they are almost touching the windscreen (hanging on to the V brace), then put the left leg in all the way past the stick, and get the right leg all the way into the plane and on the floor BEFORE they set down. Getting out is about the same. Pull yourself forward on overhead bars until they are standing in the plane with head between V brace. Right foot out to stable step, then left foot to follow. Usually takes a hand or shoulder on backside to help guide or stable them.
DENNY

The heck with the back seat, how bout us poor pilots that have to get into the front LOL. 50 years ago, I didn't have any problem at all, not so much anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I am approaching 42 and that back seat is brutal. Maybe an enlarged cargo access door or a turtle deck like the Wag-Aero 2+2 that could allow you to sort of crawl in on your stomach would be easier... or removing the sky light and climbing in through the top...

Great time to ask this question as I think it is related: I'm getting up close to the age of Social Security, as are my friends. Nature has been kind to me weight wise as I am 5'11" and about 185 or so. Most of my friends have not been so fortunate are are pushing 250 lbs, I've passed on giving a few of my friends rides without really telling them they are too fat. How do the real - I make a living flying my Supercub pilots deal with this? What is too big a person limit for your back seat? Yeah I know -- (2) 180 lb people pilot passenger, and full fuel is pushing gross on my books, but how do you get a fat guy, moose antlers and fat guy's gear squished in? I'm asking as a Central Illinois flatlander.

If you indeed “fly your Super Cub for my living”, the answer is simple: calculate a weight and balance.

One of the best mods from this perspective is the Wipaire 2000 pound GW STC.

To me getting in a a whole lot easier than getting out of the back. Folding front seat back really helps.

MTV

My Dad is 6’1 230 and 87 years old and getting into my Husky (I have a super Cub so relax) with 29 in wheels he just puts his foot in past the stick and pulls himself up and then puts his foot in the step and lets himself down into the seat. Makes it look easy. I’ve had 20 year old kids struggle to get in without wrecking things. And like others have said you just don’t offer some people a ride. If it’s a short trip from home I use a small stool for the short legged people. My super cub has floats so the are much easier for my Dad to get in.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I am approaching 42 and that back seat is brutal. Maybe an enlarged cargo access door or a turtle deck like the Wag-Aero 2+2 that could allow you to sort of crawl in on your stomach would be easier... or removing the sky light and climbing in through the top...

42???? Ha! I can’t even see that in the rear view mirror anymore!

Just do it before it’s too late. And take lots of photos that your passenger can re-enjoy when it is too late.

I used a coffee table (I dont remember what I used for the step up). It wasn’ pretty but we got it done. He enjoyed it so much I hoped to do it again. It’s clear now that it won’t happen again...87 yoa, 205 lbs getting out after an hour and a half was harder than getting in.

The proper technique is as Denny described. I usually demo for each new passenger. But they sometimes don't listen and sit down before getting the right leg in. Then the fun begins.

My wife likes to fly but has a difficult time raising her arms above her head much less supporting her weight. Pulling the front seat far forward helps so she can keep her arms more horizontal for support. We always use a box or crate to step on that fits in the baggage. Getting out is the hardest. When we fly back home there is a rise in the turf in front of my hangar where I'll taxi leaving the tail raised. Makes getting out much easier.

I recently shoe horned in a local C17 pilot for a ride. He's 240 lbs and 6ft 4in. With full fuel we were near gross. It was cause for several of my crappy wheel landings.

Also, I retained the long step after selling my belly pod. That makes it easier for this 82 yr old pilot to climb in without a butt swivel on the door ledge. Some years ago I injured a nerve doing the butt swivel too many times that caused my left leg to collapse. Had to go into physical therapy to correct that.

Too windy to fly on New Years today. But Happy New Year flying to all. There's hope for less rain this year so we can get back on the grass.

And the added bonus of you sitting in the back, is their joy is your joy, as I was thoroughly enjoying this Amish kids first ride

Glenn

Agreed...!

Attachments

• 088210F0-EDB0-449A-AB13-2E3C7E96C5C2.jpeg
    088210F0-EDB0-449A-AB13-2E3C7E96C5C2.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 7878D892-619F-4208-AC9B-C1FDC4042021.jpeg
    7878D892-619F-4208-AC9B-C1FDC4042021.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 86674881-62B4-46B2-B5AD-498A801353B7.jpeg
    86674881-62B4-46B2-B5AD-498A801353B7.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 83AD9B62-34CE-4FA3-9A40-A2EBAFD83AFB.jpeg
    83AD9B62-34CE-4FA3-9A40-A2EBAFD83AFB.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 253
I wanted to hit the "like" button for most all the posts here. I've struggled with how to get it done, (elderly in planes) and as one of the above said.. whatever it takes! I've bought a 4 wheeeler ramp to get my plus 90 folks into the back of my 206. (They can sit on the sill and swing their legs in) I'm not sure how I'll feel about it when I'm too old to do it (get in one) myself, but I suspect I would have most warm regards for someone who took the time and effort to let me be airborne again. I saw a link on my phone that said "kindness" was the word for the year.. That seems like a good thing. Happy New Year.

A joke I used to make when first timer's asked me how to get in - Your guess is as good as mine, I've never seen anyone do it the same way twice. :p

Thanks 46 Cub! In starting this thread, I kept thinking about my Grandfather, who bought our Super Cub in 1965 (my father inherited it when my Grandfather passed away). We kept it on floats on the Canadian side of Rainy Lake, just north of International Falls, MN. There was an embankment you had to walk down to get to the tie downs and, because my Grandfather had bad arthritis, my Dad used to carry him on his back and then sort of hoist him into the Cub. Then he'd carry me down to the Cub because I once saw a garter snake on the path down to the plane and I was terrified of snakes. Once aboard, I would climb over my grandfather into the baggage compartment, where I'd sit with the minnows and the duffel bag my Uncle carried out of Vietnam, that we re-purposed for carrying walleye out of Canada. That plane has a lot of memories, so I want to keep getting use out of it. Unfortunately, my Dad outweighs me by 80 pounds, so carrying him on my back is not an option. Hence this thread. I very much appreciate the responses.

A joke I used to make when first timer's asked me how to get in - Your guess is as good as mine, I've never seen anyone do it the same way twice. :p

That's because every time we do get in, the first thought is "I'll try have to something different next time!"

If you want better access then it should be a Low wing with entry over the top. :)IMG_1101.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 289
I second Denny. Most folks that crawl in the back of my cub have been horse back. I tell them to put right foot in stirrup, grab the v and hoist their left leg in like climbing into a saddle (while the horse is still in the trailer). From there on i just wait to see if ive got to assist with a hung up rider. Most will put there butts down in the seat before they pull their foot out of the step which causes said hang ups.

But then you won’t be able to get in the front. Or I haven’t figured out how to at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom,
Push stick to far left before entering: then right foot into the stirup. Raise left leg up and simply drop left KNEE into the seat bottom, grabing V brace and pulling forward bring right leg up and past seat while fliping left leg knee off seat and your in with both feet to the right of center, on floorboards, lift left leg up enough to move the stick to center and your golden in a 12![emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

17463532-66F3-4346-9D18-A9619E839BDC.jpeg
Got a spring loaded hook thing from Ace hardware.
5B10CED2-133E-4A35-BFDF-7BCA89349691.jpeg
Got a 12 inch dog leash from Amazon. Easy to reach with it to slide on the hook before trying to get in. Helps getting in both front and back. Wrist loop would make it harder for an older person to lose grip.
E8DD4E1C-FAFF-4AE1-8F65-217633A4D54F.jpeg
Also a great place to hang the front seat helmet. For safety reasons I thought about holding a d-ring in place with a band of double sided Velcro tape instead of using the spring loaded hook, but I would not have been able to hang the helmet.

Attachments

• 17463532-66F3-4346-9D18-A9619E839BDC.jpeg
    17463532-66F3-4346-9D18-A9619E839BDC.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 5B10CED2-133E-4A35-BFDF-7BCA89349691.jpeg
    5B10CED2-133E-4A35-BFDF-7BCA89349691.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 261
  • E8DD4E1C-FAFF-4AE1-8F65-217633A4D54F.jpeg
    E8DD4E1C-FAFF-4AE1-8F65-217633A4D54F.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 205
Back