• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

End results were good

His right knee didn't appear to be extended in the least. I also never saw the stick go forward past neutral for more than an instant or two. If not for the recovery 'chute, natural selection would have prevailed.

Last edited:
he had patience, about 10 seconds from pull the chute to touch down, and composure, asked myself how would i be??

Look carefully. I think he had full right rudder in all the time. There’s a point where he relaxed his right leg, repositioned his right foot, and reapplied right rudder.

Glad he had a chute.

MTV

Look carefully. I think he had full right rudder in all the time. There’s a point where he relaxed his right leg, repositioned his right foot, and reapplied right rudder.

Glad he had a chute.

MTV
Yeah , maybe he did have the right pedal down. Unfortunately he kept coming back on the stick and never gave it a chance to un-stall.

1.Rudder abruptly opposite turn needle
2.Stick abruptly full forward one turn after applying rudder
3.When rotation stops, neutralize controls and recover from dive.

Here’s some info a FB poster made on a different FB group for the keyboard pilots. Seems plausible to me:

3dc32be6da11ba430a353e482e26f09c.jpg

I had seen/read about that video elsewhere awhile back. The post above from gb sounds familiar. He was in a test pilot situation and he tried numerous things, full power, no power, control positions, etc before pulling the chute. I think he had said that he even waited after shutting the engine down to see if that helped recover it.
The hardest part, according to what i read, was to actually make the decision to pull the chute instead of continuing to believe he could find the answer.

A friend of a friend was in a Pitts over NH years ago and had promised himself that if he was ever in uncontrolled flight below his personal hard deck he would bail out. He did, and lived to continue flying to this day. But like the pilot above I’m sure that was a hard decision to make in a split second.

There’s a very good instructor near me that preaches about how invaluable airplanes are. Both the million dollar warbirds and the ones you just invested 2/3/4 years of your lifeblood to build. He recommends that builders don’t take the first few flights in their build because they will try to save the airplane should something happen. They have too much invested to do what’s right, and park the airplane where they can walk away. Even if that’s in the trees.
Takes a lot of discipline. Are you disciplined enough?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

He almost waited too long for the chute! Wouldn't be the first. The decision you have to make when your golden hands fail you.

On person on FB also mentioned the pilot is an aerobatic instructor.

As I first saw the video I questioned the recovery technique. After reading the credentials of the pilot I spent time studying the movements I could see.

Bottom line for me is that I am watching an experienced test/aerobatic pilot finding out that the plane he is flying won't conform to his desires. The man has some sand- watch as he continues to try different inputs in hope of recovery.

Not sure I would be able to do all he did with the stench in the cockpit from my dirty underwear!

There is a reason they call it test flying. Took a check ride with the guy that test flew the 210 turbine. Interesting stories, and guys with lots of guts.

I don't ever see him choose any definite recovery attempt. I see the stick all over the place, and never hard forward for more than about a half-second, and never into the direction of rotation for more than just an instant. I also never saw him stuff the throttle. I realize there are several unknown variables in this equation, but I find that recovery attempt questionable.

Last edited:
I admit that at first look his recovery seems problematic but I'll give him the benefit of doubt. After looking at the airplane my gut tells me I would NOT want to spin it....chute or no chute.

I personally like the emergency recovery used on the Pitts Special(also works on similar aircraft like my Acroduster 2). Pull the power, center the controls, watch ASI, when you get 100 IAS recover from the dive. Dive will ALWAYS be upright. They say it will work every time although I've only tried it a couple times....just for fun. Seems a better idea than a chute(for the &%^&%7 airplane) anyway?

Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYrmazbH7E go to about 1.50 in the video, upside down flat spin recovers over the runway, power and rudder do help. seems like the farther back the bottom of the rudder is the more control they have along with a balanced top. i think valdez is on garys schedule in may?
In this case he has more than enough power to pull the plane in whatever direction it is pointed. The plane in post #1 has a questionable amount of power. I could not see whether #1 applied full power at any time to help with the recovery. Full power blows more air over the tail making it more effective. He shut it down in order to safely use the chute.

Back