• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Propeller choices for certified Super Cub 150

scottsville

I just bought my 1st airplane and it had to be a super cub. My problem is it has a cruise prop on it and my airstrip is pretty short and being from Texas I am worried about getting in and out in the heat of the summer. I know about the Borer prop. Does anyone know of any of the new carbon fiber props that you could put on a certified super cub? My super cub is a little on the heavier side so was really wanting to shed some pounds as well. Thank you.

When it comes to getting off the ground I think the Borer is still the king. Airframes has the Sensenich prop that is a wood core with fiberglass covering. That will save you 14 lbs = a little over 2 gal of fuel. I don't think you will notice the weight difference over a borer. Cost is about the same. The Sensenich will spin up faster, and tends to be faster than a Borer with the same static RPM. The Borer can take a big whooping and keep going. No right or wrong just thing to consider.

DENNY
[h=1][/h]

Don't bother with the Sensenich. It's not very aerodynamically efficient. The Borer out-performs it by a notable margin, despite the weight/CG difference. I'd go with 82x42.
I have all of the popular props, and the Sensenich hasn't been off the wall for several years.

We have an MT prop and it performs very well. Borer is good but slow especially if your on floats. We cruise at 95 Knots on floats and get off better than the borer that we replaced. So the best of both worlds for us. We have the reversing one but wouldn't advise unless on floats.

I have a Catto that was on a 0-290. It was a better all around prop than the 80"borer, faster, lighter, climbed better. Its on the shelf and I am running a borer on the 320 i replaced the 290 with.

I will order a Catto if they ever get certified but happy with the borer in the meantime.

Have flown Borer props for 40 years from 40"/44" and they are great.(And Heavy) However the Catto 84/36
is probably the best STOL performer out there. Pulls better.
Smooth as Silk, out climbs a 82/42 , unfortunately Macauley and Sensenich will pull every string known to man, to keep them from ever certifying it.
If either of them made it would have been certified years ago......

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Have flown Borer props for 40 years from 40"/44" and they are great.(And Heavy) However the Catto 84/36
is probably the best STOL performer out there. Pulls better.
Smooth as Silk, out climbs a 82/42 , unfortunately Macauley and Sensenich will pull every string known to man, to keep them from ever certifying it.
If either of them made it would have been certified years ago......

How does the 84/36 Catto compare to the Borer 82/42 in terms of cruise speed/RPM? I have the same Borer and a Catto 82/39 and they are an absolute dead heat in both cruise /RPM and 1000' time to climb.

We have an MT prop and it performs very well. Borer is good but slow especially if your on floats. We cruise at 95 Knots on floats and get off better than the borer that we replaced. So the best of both worlds for us. We have the reversing one but wouldn't advise unless on floats.

Unfortunately installing an MT prop requires a complete engine teardown to modify for a c/s prop,
maybe (probably ) also a replacement (hollow) crank.
So not at all a simple "bolt on" mod.

Unfortunately installing an MT prop requires a complete engine teardown to modify for a c/s prop,
maybe (probably ) also a replacement (hollow) crank.
So not at all a simple "bolt on" mod.
That depends on which dash number your engine is. They are listed in the TC data sheet.

PerryB.
Same engine Catto will turn 75rpms less static, but is blowing more air over your tailfeathers. Comes up quicker when loaded aft. Craig recomends the 84/36 for Seaplane operations. 2400rpms/
93mph, on 31" tires. (12)Years ago we always said a Cub with 82/42 on 30" tires = 85mph on most 18 's. Your mileage may vary. When I used to fly someplace with a Cub enroute and I was in my 12, I used to always " get behind em and strobe the props till we were in sink" and I knew we were both turning exactly the same rpm and then simply pull out to the side and come up on them in the 12 and ask em as I was going by " whatcha turning" they always claimed to be less than what my tach was showing. Looked to me like an 18 turning 2400 will fly right beside a 12 turning 2300.Lol.

Back