• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fairbanks FAA Seminar Concerning Destroyed Aircraft

I think it’s more like a closed circuit feed to different locals around the State. You would need to go to a regional local and attend. People can interact, ask questions, give input. I would think that Anchorage would do the same for their region, just like Fairbanks does.

Here is the Anchorage schedule

IA Event Details

Below you will find the details for the upcoming IA Seminar in Anchorage, AK
Title:
2019 IA Seminar

Topic:
Topics include Human Factors, Accident Data, Field Approvals, new products and developments.

Date and Time:
Friday, January 25, 2019, starting at 08:00 Alaskan Standard Time

Speaker(s):
Dr. Bill Johnson, Wayne Ghee, Charles Wisner, David Swartz, Brian Costello, Brian Stelle, Zach Lincolnhol, Ky Ngo

Brief Description:
IA Seminar Schedule:
07:30 – 08:00 Registration and paperwork review
08:00 – 08:05 Introduction, Emergency Briefing, Restrooms, Refreshments
08:05 – 08:55 Dr. Bill Johnson, FAA Chief Scientist – Human Factors – Aviation Maintenance
08:55 – 09:00 Break
09:00 – 09:55 Garmin – Wayne Ghee – New equipment, new systems, new installation paperwork
09:55 – 10:00 Break
10:00 – 10:55 Charles Wisner – FAA Safety Team – Field Approval Process
10:55 – 11:00 Break
11:00 – 11:55 David Swartz – FAA Aircraft Certification Office – Continuous Operation Safety Updates
11:55 – 12:55 LUNCH
12:55 – 13:50 Lycoming – Brian Costello – Lycoming Engine maintenance tips and practices
13:50 – 13:55 Break
13:55 – 14:50 Hartzell Propeller – Brian Steele – Propeller maintenance practices (metal and composite)
14:50 – 14:55 Break
14:55 – 15:55 Champion Aerospace – Zach Lincolnhol – Engine ignition systems
15:55 – 16:00 Break
16:00 – 17:00 – Ky Ngo – FAA Order 8100.19 – Destroyed and Scrapped Aircraft.
Select Number:
AL0388439

Location of Seminar:
ChangePoint
6689 Changepoint Dr.
Anchorage, AK 99518

Directions to Venue:
Directions from Ted Stevens Anchorage Airport – Get on Minnesota Dr from W International Airport Rd/Take Raspberry Rd to Alaska’s Best PI/Continue on Alaska’s Best PI to your destination

Fly-in Seminar
Yes PANC

Seating:
200 seats at the facility, 200 for online registration.
www.Faasafety.gov

Registration Information:
Sponsoring Division:
FAASTeam

Contact Information:
KYLE JAMES WEINZIRL
Phone: (907) 271-7019
kyle.weinzirl@faa.gov

Additional Event Information & Acknowledgement of Industry Sponsor(s):
The Alaska FAA Safety Team gives a special “Thank You” to University of Alaska, Fairbanks Campus for coordinating the broadcasting capabilities to the Alaska communities and to ChangePoint Alaska for the use of their facility in Anchorage, AK.
Equal Access Information:
The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the “Contact Information” area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

Credit Applicability:
AMT
1 Hour Total for AMT
AMT
7 Hours Total for AMT

Kyle Weinzirl Mike Yorke
FAA Safety Team Program Manager FAA Safety Team Program Manager
Anchorage FSDO AL03 Anchorage FSDO AL03

( (907) 271-7019 * kyle.weinzirl@faa.gov (907) 271-5908 mike.yorke@faa.gov

Cancelled for now:

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
The seminar titled "2019 IA Seminar - Renewal Course" has been cancelled. We apologize for any incovenience this may cause you.
For your information, the seminar was scheduled on Friday January 25, 2019 08:00 AKST at:
University of Alaska, Fairbanks Campus, Wood Conference Center
505 S. Chandalar, Fairbanks, Alaska
Wood Center - Carol Brown Ballroom, Room 209
Fairbanks, AK 99709
If the seminar is to be rescheduled, it will be announced on FAASafety.gov. Thank you for using https://www.FAASafety.gov.

Remember,

Orville and Wilbur flew an unlicensed craft, without pilot's licenses.

Oh the HUMANITY, how far we've fallen.

:)

26903924_139482376748362_6107565222439126692_n.jpg

Attachments

• 26903924_139482376748362_6107565222439126692_n.jpg
    26903924_139482376748362_6107565222439126692_n.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
A seminar is scheduled in Anchorage.

"Destroyed and Scrapped Aircraft Briefing and IA Renewal"
Topic: There will be a presentation and dialog with a question and answer period on FAA Order 8100.19, Destroyed and Scrapped Aircraft.
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 17:30 Alaskan Daylight Time
2811 Merrill Field Dr, Anchorage, AK

I propose that any thread involving the FAA belong in the jokes section

i second that. the very first question that needs to go to these people is, ask them if theyve ever restored a 57 chevy or a vintage camaro or mustang or anything like that then you will know what your up against. I dont think these foreign people that are taking over have any pride in projects, vintage stuff, etc at all. they never grew up with it. and dont understand. id put money on it that a 70 chevelle dosent mean squat to them.

I didn’t make it to the meeting. Did speak with a guy who did attend. He came away with the idea that the new regulations were designed to eliminate liability for the manufacturer of the aircraft and that it is to promote sales of new aircraft to replace older aircraft. His opinion was that the FAA is attempting to reduce risk of shoddy workmanship, saying that after rebuilding a totaled aircraft it can’t be brought back to the same standard met by the manufacturer and that it can’t be re-certified. That it can be moved into the experimental category. So...I asked. If I own a $25,000 certified aircraft and only insure the hull for $25k and it gets totaled by the insurance company because it’ll cost more to repair due to the insured Hull value? That I can’t rebuild it and keep it certified if the damage costs more than $25k? But if I insured that $25k aircraft for $50k and the repair cost is less than that it can be repaired as a certified aircraft.

So after talking with him....I read the regulation... doesn’t lead me to believe my restoration after the insurance company totaled is effected by this regulation. Didn’t see anything about taking a certified aircraft into the experimental category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If potentially shoddy workmanship is an alleged concern then have the FAA perform a Conformity Inspection with the techs during and after restoration. Or at least document the rebuild to support the workmanship if later questions arise.

I had that obligation placed on me, the restorer, and my former PA-11. My money their time well beyond budget. Yes it's another PIA for everybody and in most cases I've seen unnecessary providing the rebuilder has the appropriate substantiating data available. Most have or can get that.

Just an owner's experience. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-210A.pdf

Gary

Last edited:
so..... not sure what's what here...but just browsing accident reports... on one 4 may 19 in AK.. https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100:94:16442725159517::::P94_ENTRY_DATE:04-MAY-19look up N Number by clinking link in above description...https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N456SFso 2 DAYS after accident(probably SAME DAY FAA add your info to database?, they also then), the FAA?? cancels YOUR REGISTRATION? are THEY MAKING THE DETERMINATION if it's rebuildable??... I could see them saying its not airworthy, but CANCELING YOUR REGISTRATION???wow!!!!

Last edited:
I wondered why it was de-registered when it hit Kathryn's Report Wednesday. In the link (https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N456SF) it notes a "Certificate Issue Date 01/28/2016"

If he plane has to be re-registered every three years (https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certif...ication/aircraft_registry/reregistration_faq/) was the registration current when the accident occurred 5/3/19?, or was recent action taken to deregister the aircraft post accident? And by whom?

"Because an aircraft with an expired registration is not registered, its airworthiness certification would be considered ineffective. Without registration the aircraft is not authorized for flight. Once registration is restored, the airworthiness certificate not having been surrendered, revoked or terminated would become effective again provided the aircraft is otherwise compliant with maintenance, inspections, and any other requirements for an effective airworthiness."

Gary

The registration expires if not renewed every 3 years.
FAA then "de-registers" the airplane.
This seems to be the major cause of de-registered airplanes.
Sometimes due to carelessness, sometimes due to the airplane being wrecked and then who cares.
Tail number is then put on hold for 5 years,
I assume to allow the owner to re-register it if he pulls his head out of you-know-where
and realizes that he allowed registration to lapse.
After that 5 years, the tail number is up for grabs.
I never thought about the airworthiness aspect of this.
My thought would be that the registration & the A/W certificate are two separate issues,
but from the previous post I guess the FAA doesn't agree.

The problem many of us are finding is when the registration isn’t renewed, or is otherwise canceled, FAA assumes the aircraft was scrapped or destroyed, and then it is a royal pain to get the registration back. In several cases I’ve been involved with, they want the TC holder to confirm that the dataplate is the original one issued, even if the current TC holder isn’t the same organization that built the aircraft. This is just ridicules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it, I have a Super Cub project that needs new fuselage and wings... 35+ years ago, this wasn't really worth rebuilding, so the registration and all was let expire. I've gone through all the steps and it now has current registration....but it's history says it was scrapped or lapsed in the past. Now it's well worth rebuilding, but it's going to have to go through an inspector, who chances are, has never seen a PA18 naked, and it's his/her choice to make a decision whether I get to rebuild MY airplane? At the least, this is going to cause me to build an inferior aircraft because it sounds like a huge PIA to replace both at the same time, like I had planned. We're allowed to replace ANY part with a PMA'd or STC'd part, but just not all at one time. What a crock!

John

So ...... replace fuselage, logbook shows aircraft returned to service. Two months later, wings damaged and replaced, returned to service. If IA is doing this it's legal, right? Does the FAA actually have to witness a flight when "returned to service"? Catch my drift? If a rebuild takes you a year, maybe you did it in three stages, returned to service for two months between each step. You just flew it at night and no one saw it in the air ..... guess it would work if airworthiness cert never expired.
Marty

Well, it seems that the FAA has again moved the goal post. It is up to us as a group to find the loop hole with the work around. Collectively I'm sure that we can achieve the upper hand.

Experimental?

I didn’t make it to the meeting. Did speak with a guy who did attend. He came away with the idea that the new regulations were designed to eliminate liability for the manufacturer of the aircraft and that it is to promote sales of new aircraft to replace older aircraft. His opinion was that the FAA is attempting to reduce risk of shoddy workmanship, saying that after rebuilding a totaled aircraft it can’t be brought back to the same standard met by the manufacturer and that it can’t be re-certified. That it can be moved into the experimental category. So...I asked. If I own a $25,000 certified aircraft and only insure the hull for $25k and it gets totaled by the insurance company because it’ll cost more to repair due to the insured Hull value? That I can’t rebuild it and keep it certified if the damage costs more than $25k? But if I insured that $25k aircraft for $50k and the repair cost is less than that it can be repaired as a certified aircraft.

So after talking with him....I read the regulation... doesn’t lead me to believe my restoration after the insurance company totaled is effected by this regulation. Didn’t see anything about taking a certified aircraft into the experimental category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What? What category, amateur built, exhibition, research?? I thought this was exactly what the FAA did not want to happen.

There are no new “regulations”, only policy in the form of Order 8100.19. The problem I see is that FAA is determining aircraft to be destroyed or scrapped where there was no accident, and no parts were sold as salvage, just that the owner didn’t renew the registration. Registration should have nothing to do with airworthiness, other than being a prerequisite to legally operating an aircraft.

Yes I'm finding this out with the Pacer project I posted about on the other site. Reg denied twice. First time because previous owner checked destroyed. It wasn't wrecked at all, just had a runout motor and 35 year old fabric. He sold it to a guy who wanted the wings for a different project. That guy got sick and passed so I bought the Pacer. FAA reg wanted pics of everything including logs to prove it was not destroyed, I sent them that, denied second time because aircraft was in pieces. Well yes the wings and tail are off, so I'm debating what now? Continue down this path and put it together and certainly face further denials and hassles? How much $$ should you put into a plane with no paper work?
I think everyone can see they want these aircraft off the books for good and will make it increasingly difficult to legally repair/restore them.

At some point it will take a class action suit against FAA to fix it. This all got started back in 2010 when registrations expired.

Sometimes we create the problem. Case 1, C170 cartwheeled on takeoff. Owner Flubb sold the wreck to 170 Expert who took 4 years repairing the airframe and engine but ignored the paperwork. After 3 1/2 years Flubb happened to look up his old airplane on the web and found it still registered to him. Fearing something wonky was going on and he might get dragged into a lawsuit, he wrote the FAA a letter and deregistered the aircraft as destroyed. If Flubb would have filled out the back of the registration and mailed it in like he was supposed to when he sold the plane or if the Expert would have taken care of the registration when he bought it there wouldn't have been a problem. Case 2, Freezerburn sold his experimental to Gotrocks who kept it in his garage for two years and didn't register it. Why he would have had to pay a few dollars personal property tax to his home state if he registered it. And he lost the bill of sale. But the chance came to make a few dollars so he sold it to Cheapo who put it in his garage for two more years. He didn't want to pay Personal Property tax either. In the meantime Freezerburn passed away so there won't be another bill of sale unless it's forged in a dead man's name. Now Cheapo wants to drag this thing out, get a condition inspection, pay his taxes, and fly. Cheap bastard, I'm not gonna help fix this mess. I got better things to do.

That's funny! I think I agree with you!

Still, there ought to be some enlightenment back at 800 Independence. Those guys need to come fly Cubs and slow down a bit on the ACs and Orders.

Back