• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hypothetical

. It had to be one of if not the first 150hp cub and it had and still has 13 rib wings.

No I looked it up one time. 150s start at 18-3781. It is well up in the 40xx 's
Would be nice to see the aw cert.altho those were issued at a later date.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice to know they are allowing that again
Went round and round with some on the J-3 forum about whether that was legal or not since some in the FAA were telling them it wasn't !!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Did it as a DER approval. I doubt anyone in the FAA would stick their neck out to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.

That might be all according to Hoyle, but personally...
if I was looking to buy such an airplane, and wanted to see documentation for the changes,
and the seller cited that reg to me for why he didn't have any such documentation--
I'd walk away from it.
Not to say it's not legal, just not squared away enough for me personally.

Bob, I just did a model change from a J3F-65 to a J3C-65. That one also involves a change in TC. All it requires is change firewall forward, instrument markings, and supplemental data plate indicating the change. It also requires an application for a new (by new , any 8100- 2) airworthiness certificate since the new airworthiness certificates have the model listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who produced the supplemental ID plate. It appears the FAA has allowed the IA to do this in the past but also required Piper to produce it in other circumstances.

The real question is what “model” does the data plate have?

that question still has me thinking so I went out and looked at another plane I remembered.
Mid 50's PA-18A-150. says so , by looking at it, by the original logbooks, and by the airworthiness certificate.
However the Dataplate (which I'm 99.9% sure is original) says PA-18-150 !!! Not sure if that was just a Piper fubar or ??
Would you ground it if it came into your shop ?? I wouldn't

Be a perfect candidate for a new fuselage tho !! ha ha

Who produced the supplemental ID plate. It appears the FAA has allowed the IA to do this in the past but also required Piper to produce it in other circumstances.

A Don Jones reproduction data plate was used for the auxiliary plate on a local Aeronca Champ. Bright shiny new plate right beside the old beat up original.

I have posted the except of AC 45.2E that I have used to try to convince FSDO Airworthiness Inspectors the PA-18-135 in front of you is identical to a PA-18-150, and it can be easily proven, with 100% certainty, using FAA approved and accepted data, primarily TC1A2 and the PA-18 Parts Manual, without success.

Changing Identification Plate Information
You may change the identification data required by § 45.13(a) only when such change comply with specific FAA-approved or -accepted data (for example, design data,maintenance procedures, and rebuilding or alteration procedures contained in manufacturers’ manuals, letters, bulletins).

Note: When an aircraft has been modified to conform to another model of the same make, a new identification plate is required to be attached as close as physically possible to the original identification plate. The original identification plate is not to be removed or altered in any manner.

I've looked at a Champ converted from a 7AC to a TCCM, actually a coupole of them,
and I kinda recall the original data plate being stamped "CONV 7CCM",
as opposed to it being on a new separate data plate.

I've looked at a Champ converted from a 7AC to a TCCM, actually a coupole of them,
and I kinda recall the original data plate being stamped "CONV 7CCM",
as opposed to it being on a new separate data plate.

The IA that supervised this one (Bill Pancake, the Aeronca guy) claimed that restamping a dataplate was frowned on now and an aux plate was in order.

Back