• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1953 PA-18 Rebuild

Looks like you need a new stabilizer carry-thru with the grease zerk and bronze bushings in each end.

Are you using the front mount or the rear baffle mounted oil cooler?

How does the Plane Power compare to B and C? They appear similar.

Both make good stuff. I like Plane Power for changing from generator or Inter Av because the have everything in the box except wire/breakers. Alternator, regulator and all mounting brackets. Also uses a simple wiring harness.

Web

Can't stress that enough! Along with those, use clip nuts. Both of these items allow you to install and remove 'stuff' by yourself. And don't let anyone tell you they aren't worth the time/effort it takes to install them. Replace a windshield and you'll be convinced of their value.

Web

Windshield, thanks a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Both make good stuff. I like Plane Power for changing from generator or Inter Av because the have everything in the box except wire/breakers. Alternator, regulator and all mounting brackets. Also uses a simple wiring harness.

Web
I recently installed the B&C STC'd for the front mounted oil cooler and it had everything I needed except the power wire up to the buss. From reading the Plane Power STC it say it is not approved with front mounted oil cooler. What were you finding included with the Plane Power that wasn't in the B&C?

I recently installed the B&C STC'd for the front mounted oil cooler and it had everything I needed except the power wire up to the buss. From reading the Plane Power STC it say it is not approved with front mounted oil cooler. What were you finding included with the Plane Power that wasn't in the B&C?

I like the brackets that come with the Plane Power kits. And if a non electrical type installs the kit, the wire harness is easier to figure out. Just my own observations.

The notes I have for Plane Power say that 'rear mounted oil cooler may be required'. Did they change that?

Web

Looks like you need a new stabilizer carry-thru with the grease zerk and bronze bushings in each end.

Are you using the front mount or the rear baffle mounted oil cooler?

I was planning to use the rear mounted oil cooler. A guy at Sutton Exhaust gave me this: NDM oil Coolers part # 08-00741

I will call and get a new stabilizer carry through.

As always, thanks Steve for your knowledge.

Progress

We are making some progress now that we have the frame back from the weld shop. Fitting the 3 piece cowling, flight controls, fuel system, pulleys and will hopefully start on the electrical this weekend. We are waiting for the new cables to come in next week and our extended baggage panels. Exciting to see it come together. Also received my new 3 inch extended landing gear from Airframes Alaska along with my new 31" tires!

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 227
If you want to upgrade the panel in the future I would pull out that recessed GPS and put a plate over the center of the panel that extends up to just below the tubing above. Put the ball on the top of the plate and surface mount a GPS below that. This will give you room for a transponder above the radio. Just something to keep in mind if you make a eyebrow over the panel. You could also put the electrical stuff in the same area.
DENNY

I know, I did not think I would ever put a transponder in it, but the more I think about it, the more I will likely put one in. Sooner than later I am sure.

Hey Kevin, Did you go with the "Hurricane" tie-downs from Dodge? My cub has nothing so I'm looking for ideas. Internet search pulls up the ugly ones from Univair and the atlee dodge apparatus. I was hoping for something bolt-on that looks nice. Any ideas?

Hey Kevin, Did you go with the "Hurricane" tie-downs from Dodge? My cub has nothing so I'm looking for ideas. Internet search pulls up the ugly ones from Univair and the atlee dodge apparatus. I was hoping for something bolt-on that looks nice. Any ideas?

I just have the stock tie down rings that bolt on the upper part of the strut. I have never seen the Hurricane tie downs. Frankly hope I never need any!!!

Back