• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Possible Static Display Cub

…. Doesn’t seem right that you apply for a missing aw and make a bunch of money.

No less right than showing up with a pocketful of cash so you can buy low, and then re-selling high.
Lots of airplane flippers doing that--in fact,
skywagons-r-us became a full time business with several employees by doing just that.

I guess the guy that sold it as parts at an obvious loss is kicking himself since he surely lost money and is still listed as the builder.

The new owner is probably lucky if the builder isn't a violent man, and doesn't live in the same state. The builder was pissed when I spoke to him on the phone.

But that said, one of the reasons I didn't pursue it originally was all the obvious differences from a more standard "Supercub". Some builders get carried away with thinking they are making it "better" than Piper or a few others have.

pb

who do you contact to have a certified prop strike AD inspection done for a Lyc engine, Jon

any A&P mechanic can do it...

the big engine rebuild shop up here had said they only found a single engine that had any issue with the gear... remember you are only doing the steps called out in the AD, NOT all the steps called out in the SB referenced

To my ignorance how much teardown is involved. Have an 0360 with a prop strike, (not sudden stoppage). Single blade slight bend, FAA made me start engine after strike, where it sat, with bent blade on it after I explained the engine quit due to carb icing. 25 RPM drop, (videoed)

To my ignorance how much teardown is involved. Have an 0360 with a prop strike, (not sudden stoppage). Single blade slight bend, FAA made me start engine after strike, where it sat, with bent blade on it after I explained the engine quit due to carb icing. 25 RPM drop, (videoed)

been a couple years, but....
remove engine from mount
you remove the oil sump, then the back accessory case/mags
you take out the bolt in the cam gear. & inspect it and the mating pin
you replace the bolt? and the locking tab... there are 3 different style locking tabs buy all 3 if you don't want to be waiting on parts... don't remember if there are different bolts?
you will need a gaskets for sump, accessory case, mags, intake, oil screen if installed.

this is the service bulletin, you DO NOT DO IT ALL to make the AD happy...
https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-bulletin-no-475c

you'll have to look up the AD number...

you will want to put an indicator on prop flange to make sure its not bent too much...

FWIW, In process of majoring my C-90. Aircraft Specialities found the crank cracked behind the thrust bearings. Never had a strike, But last fall had a prop separation that broke all the mounts but one.
Flew on it for about 125 hours since. I wasn’t sure but I thought it had a bit more vibration than before. Checked the flange, was straight, not bent. The guys at ASS’s said maybe it was starting to crack and the vibration from the separation made it worse. Not sure it would matter at all, but my mount is a pusher.
The moral of this story, if I ever have that bad of vibration again I will always wonder until I have it checked!

Thank you very much for the information. I have been through this engine twice, (had to replace the case halves, (Divco), replaced inside crankshaft plug, just put new cylinders, (less than 2 hours on them), need to do the AD and it will be on the market. thanks again, Jon

That j3 has had a rough life huh? Did you fix the gear fitting for Chris yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, still sitting in the back of the hanger. Getting worse, Airstreaks have cracked like this on both sides. [emoji22] [emoji22]
IMG_20181231_115624.jpg
IMG_20181231_115101.jpg
IMG_20181231_115118.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_115624.jpg
    IMG_20181231_115624.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20181231_115101.jpg
    IMG_20181231_115101.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20181231_115118.jpg
    IMG_20181231_115118.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 216
I aired them up twice and told him to but he never did. I put it on the stands but am afraid it's to late.

Think it was the sun light through the back glass uv light that did it? I did notice the 90hp wings the glue lifted before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back