• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One Sharp Looking Airplane

Yeah, I hear you. All I'd do if it was mine would be to switch the location of the mixture and carb heat to make it work for me.
I've got a PA 14 I'd like to rebuild some day with a center stick.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of putting my carb heat too close to another control.
Like maybe the mixture control?? My 12 is that way, and on my test flight (Lewistown,MT) I cleverly cut off the fuel when I thought I was pulling carb heat. No big deal obviously, It was still spinning plenty fast, just a bit deficient in the thrust dept. for a couple seconds.

Luckily I didn't do that. It's wedged between the side and the cabin heat. Just not a natural place to grab .

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Paul, Big fan of both your flying and the photos that you guys post for the rest of us to enjoy. I'm always impressed with the pros out there backcountry flying to pay the bills and I appreciate that you are willing to share with the armatures like myself. That said, I was curious how you handled the airworthiness side of your build. Did you just use a donor PA-18 and then transfer the data plate, logs and airworthiness or is there another method? I have a beater cub that is going to need a new fuselage in the future and I am considering going the four place route but unsure of the required paperwork. Thanks!

AK Airframes website references the fuselage as 140-150 pounds and their fuselage build sheet references it at 155. I don't know if airframes or Kirk has a weight on one of the recent fuselages? Maybe Cory will update us on Airframes plans/goals for their 4 places?

Hello Hendoli,
Yes you must have a PA-18 data plate and good paperwork is also a big help, I paid a higher price for good paper work and the biggest plus was a legal field approval on a Pawnee Propeller which is the best combo for me with the 0360 motor...... If you have a existing beater PA-18, that needs a new fuselage, that is a great time to switch to a 4 place, keep in mind that the STC requires a 0360 and extended wings.... Every other Cub STC is good on it! If you build it light, it truly is an amazing and versatile machine!! Good luck!
Paul

Thanks for the Reply Paul. It's a beauty for sure. Last question and I'll leave you alone. Can you please settle the debate for all of us. What is the best power and prop combo on a standard cub? 150, 160 or 180 Hp? Any chance you will have the four-place at the Trade Show or Valdez this year? I'd love to see it in person. Otherwise I might have a great reason to come visit the lodge for a couple of nights!

Thanks for the Reply Paul. It's a beauty for sure. Last question and I'll leave you alone. Can you please settle the debate for all of us. What is the best power and prop combo on a standard cub? 150, 160 or 180 Hp? Any chance you will have the four-place at the Trade Show or Valdez this year? I'd love to see it in person. Otherwise I might have a great reason to come visit the lodge for a couple of nights!

Pretty hard to beat the 0320 160hp with a 82/41 prop for what we do, I run both the 0320 and the 0360 in standard cubs and prefer the 0320, any extra weight on the nose won't help the plane land slower, so light is right for us..... I think the 4 place will be at the airman's and I'm going to try and make PAVD hope to see you there!

AK Airframes website references the fuselage as 140-150 pounds and their fuselage build sheet references it at 155. I don't know if airframes or Kirk has a weight on one of the recent fuselages? Maybe Cory will update us on Airframes plans/goals for their 4 places?

Depending on the configuration they generally run right around 150.

Back