• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One Sharp Looking Airplane

Looks like the Sullivan wing STC, squared off with the 4 hinge, longer ailerons and stock length flaps like SJ's Super Cub.

Denny, is the squared Dakota wing with the standard aileron, longer flap heavier than the squared Sullivan wing with stock flap and longer aileron all things the same like brand of ribs?

Steve
If all the parts are the same the weight would be the same. But, are you talking new spars or splicing the old, Dakota cub leading edge or stock, How big is the last rib bay, Dakota, Sullivan or other tip, and what are you using for a end rib, ect, ect. If you paid attention you can save some weight. I think the Dakota square wing with the longer Dakota flaps or the new stock length Keller flaps will make up for any added weight, especially in no or low wind performance. Several years back I tried to get a set of Dakota Square wings with the big flap for my cub, but they would only sell it assembled and shipping just added too much to the price. I ended up buying a old set of Polar bear hunter wings (squared, no extended aileron, dual stock tanks) they are still in my hanger waiting for upgrades. I should of just bit the bullet and got the Dakota wings.:oops:
DENNY

The dakota ribs are heavier than most of the other ribs, so they are definitely heavier. The long flaps are nice though!

From my experience Dakota is heavier than stock and Univair is heavier than Dakota.
Piper butt rib 9.7 ounces
Univair butt rib 14.0 ounces
Piper outboard tip bow rib 5.5 ounces
Univair tip bow rib 10.8 ounces

101_5126.jpg

101_5124 (Medium).JPG

101_5125 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• 101_5126.jpg
    101_5126.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,649
  • 101_5124 (Medium).JPG
    101_5124 (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 3,577
  • 101_5125 (Medium).JPG
    101_5125 (Medium).JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,652
One of these four place cubs has been a dream plane of mine ever since I got a ride in the original. At the $350k I think it will stay a dream!

You definitely could build one for under that. But a new cub from any builder is going to be right in that ballpark. Don’t give up the dream, just get creative! :p

I heard there was a thread out on our new "Super-Four" so I thought I better give a first hand report. In a nutshell, I couldn't be more pleased with the plane, it has far exceeded my expectations!! The 1st credit goes to Kirk Ellis, he built it and it was because of my respect for him and his flying that I decided to build one, Kirk is always under spoken but he always told me how much he liked his "Hulk" and how well it worked in his business. In our business, we often get people who just can't get in a standard Cub and we are forced to put them in a 180/185 and of course then we are more limited to where we go, I figured the 4 place would fit in somewhere between the Cessna's and our light Cubs but I was more than pleasantly surprised and I will tell why in a minute.... Second credit goes to Airframes and especially Paul Grey, his workmanship is a work of art, not only did he build the fuselage but also all off the interior, seats etc. and at the same time built a jig so that anyone else can get one just like mine! 3rd credit goes to Paul Weber, he had been my mechanic some years ago and knows that I like/need light aircraft and he did a wonderful job of the wiring keeping is to the bare minimum and very well done!!

Now to flying the Super-Four, We got the plane out to Ultima Thule in Mid May and it has flown almost everyday since then, I can't say enough how happy I am with its performance! It wasn't long until I felt right at home in the plane and the words of Kirk rang in my ear "Its the only plane I want to fly" In the summer we operate 7 supercubs and some of them are among the lightest certified cubs in the state (good performers!) the 4 preforms right in there with the best of them! I was a little worried about the middle stick but within a hour or 2 it is second nature! The visibility is phenomenal, with the big doors and all the glass and also sitting off to the side, it is almost like helicopter visibility, when I get in one of the other cubs, the first thing I notice is how much less I see! Now to the size/room... Wow it is Really Big!! We measured 2" wider at the shoulders than our 185 and about 6" longer to the end of the baggage so it will really pack the stuff!! Also being able to put a person up front with the pilot, the CG is better and with 2 pax I actually think it preforms as good as a light cub with equal load. I put the big passenger in the back and it is very easy to load older (stiff) people in the back, they just back up to the door and sit down, then they have all the room in the back....

Being it is a certified aircraft, I had to stay with the standard Keller flaps, If the bigger flaps get approved, I will probably try them.... Light is always right and I thought I might pull the starter out and try that but the wide fuselage is not so compatible to hand propping and since the performance is already great and I'm getting older, the starter stays, I suppose carbon fiber floorboards might have saved some, we opted for aluminum for it's ruggedness, at 1249# on 35s it would be hard to get much lighter but it sure would be fun to try :smile:, If could only have one cub it would certainly be the Super-Four!!

I fly both side and center sticks and I'm fine as long as the throttle is on the left, apparently. Didn't realize it might be an objection until Paul mentioned it. But why?

Love the visibility, I'm sold on that alone.

I heard there was a thread out on our new "Super-Four" so I thought I better give a first hand report. In a nutshell, I couldn't be more pleased with the plane, it has far exceeded my expectations!! The 1st credit goes to Kirk Ellis, he built it and it was because of my respect for him and his flying that I decided to build one, Kirk is always under spoken but he always told me how much he liked his "Hulk" and how well it worked in his business. In our business, we often get people who just can't get in a standard Cub and we are forced to put them in a 180/185 and of course then we are more limited to where we go, I figured the 4 place would fit in somewhere between the Cessna's and our light Cubs but I was more than pleasantly surprised and I will tell why in a minute.... Second credit goes to Airframes and especially Paul Grey, his workmanship is a work of art, not only did he build the fuselage but also all off the interior, seats etc. and at the same time built a jig so that anyone else can get one just like mine! 3rd credit goes to Paul Weber, he had been my mechanic some years ago and knows that I like/need light aircraft and he did a wonderful job of the wiring keeping is to the bare minimum and very well done!!

Now to flying the Super-Four, We got the plane out to Ultima Thule in Mid May and it has flown almost everyday since then, I can't say enough how happy I am with its performance! It wasn't long until I felt right at home in the plane and the words of Kirk rang in my ear "Its the only plane I want to fly" In the summer we operate 7 supercubs and some of them are among the lightest certified cubs in the state (good performers!) the 4 preforms right in there with the best of them! I was a little worried about the middle stick but within a hour or 2 it is second nature! The visibility is phenomenal, with the big doors and all the glass and also sitting off to the side, it is almost like helicopter visibility, when I get in one of the other cubs, the first thing I notice is how much less I see! Now to the size/room... Wow it is Really Big!! We measured 2" wider at the shoulders than our 185 and about 6" longer to the end of the baggage so it will really pack the stuff!! Also being able to put a person up front with the pilot, the CG is better and with 2 pax I actually think it preforms as good as a light cub with equal load. I put the big passenger in the back and it is very easy to load older (stiff) people in the back, they just back up to the door and sit down, then they have all the room in the back....

Being it is a certified aircraft, I had to stay with the standard Keller flaps, If the bigger flaps get approved, I will probably try them.... Light is always right and I thought I might pull the starter out and try that but the wide fuselage is not so compatible to hand propping and since the performance is already great and I'm getting older, the starter stays, I suppose carbon fiber floorboards might have saved some, we opted for aluminum for it's ruggedness, at 1249# on 35s it would be hard to get much lighter but it sure would be fun to try :smile:, If could only have one cub it would certainly be the Super-Four!!

and its one sharp looking airplane.

Something stood out to me.....”If the bigger [Keller] flaps get approved.” Is there any work being done behind the scenes to make that happen?

Here is a couple shots of the inside, not near as good as Cory's but all I could find.....

IMG_6195.jpgIMG_6785.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpg
    IMG_6195.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_6785.jpg
    IMG_6785.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 738
Yes, very impressive and extraordinary.

Now I know what I want to do with plexiglass. That view is amazing.

Sooooo. Everyone's been asking the standard questions. How heavy. What's the HP. Size of flaps, and on and on. One thing I keep going back to in my head, and it's silly (and truely not important), I know.. But, where do you go about finding a windscreen for this thing?! :p

I was day dreaming of what it'd take to build a 4 place cub, and seems like most major cub parts/pieces would be useable or able to be fabricated as any build goes.. With the exception of the windscreen. Is this a stock item somewhere?

Cheers!

Sooooo. Everyone's been asking the standard questions. How heavy. What's the HP. Size of flaps, and on and on. One thing I keep going back to in my head, and it's silly (and truely not important), I know.. But, where do you go about finding a windscreen for this thing?! :p

I was day dreaming of what it'd take to build a 4 place cub, and seems like most major cub parts/pieces would be useable or able to be fabricated as any build goes.. With the exception of the windscreen. Is this a stock item somewhere?

Cheers!

I think mine is a C-172 windscreen, a little lighter than a C-180...

Yes It is 1900# don't know where they came up with that?? Would be nice if it were 22-2300#

There is one set of controls, pedals and throttle. The black knob above the mixture and beside the throttle is carb heat, the black knob on the other side is the oil cooler vane, and the blue knob above that is the cabin heat. The blue knob all the way to the right is the windshield heat.

I made the mistake of putting my carb heat too close to another control. If I had to do it over I'd put it alone somewhere handy. that one looks the same.
Wonder how the stick is in a left crosswind. Looks like you'd have to move your legs awkwardly ??

I made the mistake of putting my carb heat too close to another control. If I had to do it over I'd put it alone somewhere handy. that one looks the same.
Wonder how the stick is in a left crosswind. Looks like you'd have to move your legs awkwardly ??

The instrument panel control locations were driven by the customer. Panels are one of those items that only need to work for the guy doing the flying. If it works for him, the rest doesn't matter. And in this case, the guy flying it has about a bazillion hours flying, so I don't argue when he wants it there, lol.

Web

Back