• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One Sharp Looking Airplane

tempdoug

PATRON
nd
46337130_2117160128335524_3892880510812160000_o.jpg

That door is really making me jealous... But I wonder why they did not went with bigger flaps?? Weight reduction??

my first thought was, New Version, of the stretched pacer. but with a supercub being its cousin instead of a pacer.

Appears to have the Airframes Alaska/Keller flaps, so no need for bigger ones.
Nice paint scheme, real beauty.
Ultima airplane, Paul Claus Sr. was my high school chemistry teacher.
John

Thanks Doug, I had the chance to spend 4 days with Paul Claus this past week. This is a certified four place cub that Airframes teamed up with Kirk Ellis to build for Paul. It is the lightest one Kirk has made so far. We are in the process of building another one for Oshkosh this year. It is an amazing performer! I think I see one in my future!

46285318_2117160485002155_7341112725440823296_o.jpg

46288055_2117161225002081_3095516971861540864_o.jpg

46249106_2117161498335387_218133108266893312_o.jpg

46383027_2117161758335361_2498323519067127808_o.jpg

46336653_2117161935002010_876215341754089472_o.jpg

It's a shame everyone can't see the inside of this airplane. Simple and concise construction. Nothing just along for the ride. I think that's what kept it light. Of course my favorite part is the panel 8)

Web

Looks like one stick and two throttle/mixture controls?

I was thinking of something like that on my 2+2 project. I like the simplicity of it.

One set of controls for left side only. As per customer's request. Single stick in the center, between the front seats. Mixture is the red, push button cable on the far left of the panel. The throttle is the ball type cable right above the mixture.

Web

One set of controls for left side only. As per customer's request. Single stick in the center, between the front seats. Mixture is the red, push button cable on the far left of the panel. The throttle is the ball type cable right above the mixture.

Web

OK. In the cockpit photo I thought I saw a black knob over the red one on the right side too, and a prop control off to the right as well.

There is one set of controls, pedals and throttle. The black knob above the mixture and beside the throttle is carb heat, the black knob on the other side is the oil cooler vane, and the blue knob above that is the cabin heat. The blue knob all the way to the right is the windshield heat.

Kirk thinks we can get one down to 1200.

I agree. From what I saw, I think that's doable. But the owner will need to understand that to get down to a lower weight, NOTHING is installed that is not absolutely necessary for safe operation. You can't have cool/nice/comfy if you want it as light as possible.

Web

1249 is damn good considering that’s the norm for 180hp cubs. How much heavier is the fuse? Impressive with the double slotted flaps metal borer and 35’s. Let’s see the interior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuselage is about 40lbs heavier than our standard cub. The interior is fairly plane. I am not sure I have any shots of it, but I do have some video that I am going to be putting together that will show it some. Two nice seats up front with a ton of cargo room. Wood floors and powdercoated metal side panels.

Carbon fiber floors and side panels will net about 7-8 lbs. at least. Carbon fiber nosebowl, etc.
Nice 4 place cub for sure.
John

That 4-place Cub was built to work. With that in mind it's pretty damn impressive.

Personally I like the 3-place airframe better, but it isn't approved. For a private guy an exp 3-place would be the cat's meow. If I was back at the starting line a 3-place would be stiff competition for the Rev. No regrets, just another example of how the Cub world is changing quickly.

is this using regular 18 wings or are they longer? from the bottom picture looks like a regular 16 rib wing, with 18 gallon tanks.

Olibuilt
The big long Keller flaps are experimental only. This is a certified cub, you could go with a Dakota big flap wing but they tend to be heavy. If you look around you will see some certified cubs that have a square wing with big flaps that happened back in the day with a field approval. That door would be the great trying to get older passengers in and out the back of a cub!!
DENNY

These wings are stock PA-18 for the certified version and 18 gal tanks. All per Paul's request. This cub will run $350k

Paul Roderick of Talkeetna Air has a very similar cub. Think it's experimentl but is very capable of anything you'd want to do with a plane. Awesome performer. Also a 4 place.

I keep coming back to those pictures. I love the extended skylight--I can't tell, but it looks almost like a swept-down flat back until coming to the turtle back supports. I wonder if there is some aerodynamic effect there.

The modification to the gear cabane looks stout, too.

BD Maule came up with an aircraft with a very similar mission and performance 45 years ago, though not nearly as “sharp” looking. One can be picked up today for well under 80k.

Back