• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starter exchange

wacodriver

Rastede, Germany
Have to replace the original stater of my PA18 O-320 A2A as it doesn't turn the propeller beyond compression stroke.
What starter would you guys recommend for exchange, Sky-Tec 122NL or Hartzell ERZ-8012 ?
I would appreciate a straight exchanges rather than changing to many items to make it fit.
Thanks for your inputs concerning AK Bushwheels last winter.
I finally measured the hight of my hangar and ordered 26 HT Bushwheels.
They are perfect for my needs,.

Sky-Tec starter for sure. Just make sure that you actually have the small ring gear. That's what the '122' in the part number means. Count the teeth on the ring gear and it will be 122 (small) or 149 (large).

But before you change out your starter, check all of your electrical connections. Clean the terminals at the battery and at each solenoid. Clean the ground connections at the engine and airframe. Also check the battery voltage during start up. If the starter slows or stops does the battery voltage drop below about 9 volts? Do you have a voltage drop across your start solenoid? All of these items will produce the symptoms you describe.

Web

I really like my sky tec, it may take some adjustment to the oil cooler support brackets. Pretty easy to do. While you're at it replace that oil heavy oil cooler with a new light weight Niagra. Talk about project creep....

I like the Sky Tec NL if you have stock oil cooler mounts/ Just need to bend one tube just a little and sometimes you don't and extend the power cable from the stock. All others you have to cut and weld the oil cooler bracket. Unfortunatley Hartzell changed their light weight starter that had the standard starter Bendix with a light weight motor. Sky Tec makes other lighter weight starters than the NL but I have had to remove a few from O-360 powered Super Cubs prematurely. Owners said the NL turned tht O-360 over mush better than the LS starter that was installed.
IMG_20181031_140646.jpg

IMG_20181031_140656.jpg

IMG_20181031_140712.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181031_140646.jpg
    IMG_20181031_140646.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_20181031_140656.jpg
    IMG_20181031_140656.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20181031_140712.jpg
    IMG_20181031_140712.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 500
I have had to replace the LS starters on the O-360 engines with the NL and gotten way better service with a slight weight penalty.

Okay, your recommendation is clear. The 122-NL is the one you'd prefer. Thanks for pictures and troubleshooting guide. Will be of great help.
Next I will start searching for technical faults. I've done that procedure four years ago, though. Ended up with resoldering the starter rotor. It gave a much higher cranking power, for four years at least. I think it's time to retire the old starter and use it maybe as a boat anchor.
The light weight oil cooler got installed several years ago to reduce the oil temperature for banner towing. Great modification.

oh, VERY IMPORTANT! make sure your mags impulse coupler(s) are in good shape... new starters spins fast!! and kick back will be an issue.... you can snap off the starter from engine.... on the NL model it has a shear pin in pinion thats made to shear off in that event, but then you have no starter till you remove starter and put extra pin in that's(/should be) stored above starter

Back