• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine for Javron Cub

wdoubleday

Hi Folks,
Yesterday was a big moment to witness the test run of my Titan 0-370 at Jay’s shop in Brainerd. Nothing like standing in the prop blast and smelling the exhaust of the first run. Something primal about that! She ran flawlessly. Jay made adjustments to the oil pressure and idle rpm. It was so cold outside that we had to wrap the oil cooler with foam to get the oil temp up to 180.
This engine has 2 Pmags, magnesium sump, lightweight starter and alternator, which is pad mounted on rear case. I will be running the Whirlwind ground adjustable GA-200L-80. Since I am using Jay’s lowered conical engine mount, I will need to use a custom exhaust to have sufficient clearance. Jay is working on this design and should be available shortly. If you want to consider having Jay build up an engine, best to contact him now as he has a few on deck.
A couple of pictures included.
Wendel
F1BA7460-C372-4227-B93A-27AD2BBE3E8A.jpeg2708781D-5BAC-4C0E-A8A5-80C65D56C06E.jpeg2817AC3D-B544-484A-A372-254C1C076CBA.jpeg

Attachments

• 2708781D-5BAC-4C0E-A8A5-80C65D56C06E.jpeg
    2708781D-5BAC-4C0E-A8A5-80C65D56C06E.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 308
  • F1BA7460-C372-4227-B93A-27AD2BBE3E8A.jpeg
    F1BA7460-C372-4227-B93A-27AD2BBE3E8A.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 2817AC3D-B544-484A-A372-254C1C076CBA.jpeg
    2817AC3D-B544-484A-A372-254C1C076CBA.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 284
when you take a motor over there to run it, did you have it in the final ready to run condition, or is it ok to put the mags, carb, prop, etc. on over there? engine mount?

Jay built the motor and installed the accessories, so for a test run we installed the baffle, prop, and hooked up connections for oil, pressure, temps, etc. I don’t know if Jay would be willing to run an engine on his test stand that he did not build, but no harm in asking him.

Jay told me most of the kits he sells have the zero thrustline engine mount. Curious how many are the lowered mount and what that does to the prop clearance. Too bad he doesn't keep his word with Thrustline Mark.

How much does that engine weigh with the everything except the propeller?What is the ballpark price for an engine built by him?Any idea what an O-320 built light would weigh and cost?

Paul,
I don't have any info on the total weight as I have not yet received the engine and installed all the accessory items. What I do know is that Pmags weigh less than mechanicals, magnesium sump lighter, lightweight starter, running full EFIS and LED lights allows a lightweight alternator, wood composite prop less than metal. I'll post some weights when I get to that point. I would refer you to Bill Rusk's detailed analysis of weight for his 0-360 engine. The Titan 0-320 is roughly ~ 20 lbs lighter with comparable accessories. The criteria for my engine selection were:
1. I'm a big guy (some may say not so bad looking) and want to carry dogs/stuff/wife (note the order) for trips
2. I need to fly over mountains where I live
3. Would like to use floats
4. Need to use autogas at times
That convinced me of at least 180 hp. You get a little more hp with the 0-370 at the 8:1 compression which allows for auto fuel. My all-out cost to have Jay build this up was ~$30K. This is a significant investment for most of us, and the old trade-off of time versus money came into play. Believe me, if I had more time I would consider what Christian Sturm did and overhaul an engine under the supervision of an IA just to get the experience and learnings.
Hope this helps
Wendel

Curious about the choice of the lowered engine mount especially on floats. Wouldn't that put the prop in the spray more?

Actually no. When you do the Thrustline, it raises the front of the engine about 2 inches. Thus the kink in the cowl look. By lowering the mount it puts the prop (front of the engine) in its original location, so you get the thrustline improvements without loosing the over-the-nose visibility and it makes the front of the Cub look normal again ie no kink in the cowl.
Yes, the prop would be lower but not lower than a “stock” Cub

Hope this helps

Bill

That makes sense. Was helping a friend pick out the options on his Javron kit and this one didn't make sense to me. I want the most prop clearance I can get and really didn't notice any visibility issues with the Thrustline modification but I dropped my nose bowl down and run a Baby Bushwheel.

So it's more corrected than lowered? So why is there an exhaust fit problem? My mount is lowered. Clint at Vetterman has the exhaust solution. One comment I've heard about my plane is that it's quiet compared to other Cubs. Nice surprise!

….I don’t know if Jay would be willing to run an engine on his test stand that he did not build, but no harm in asking him.

IMHO doing a "run-in" on an engine stand is a darned good idea, way better than starting from scratch with the fresh engine hung on the airplane.
While not a "break-in" by any means, a proper run-in is a great start for a successful break-in.

Back