Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Gary Dumond

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Dumond

Flying skis and floats my whole adult life in Maine, it amazes me that a Maine Warden Pilot could log 20,000 hours over the woods. Jake MorrelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D75528B5-3429-44C3-983F-15996595DA4B.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	39146

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's much easier to get a lot of hours when some else pays the fuel and maintenance bills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup; I remember when he practically lived in a s. cub or 185 for yrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Gary when he challenged me in the take off contest in Greenville. I was flying the Twin Bee. He had a PA-18. He and the rest of his warden friends were busy stripping down the Cub to fighting weights. Pulling all the radios, draining fuel and sponging out the floats. The Twin Bee was just light on fuel. At the drop of the flag we both pushed the throttles forward. When I was stabilized in the air climbing I looked out my back window and there he was just struggling to break water. Great fun!
    N1PA
    Likes supercrow, Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I remember Gary when he challenged me in the take off contest in Greenville. I was flying the Twin Bee. He had a PA-18. He and the rest of his warden friends were busy stripping down the Cub to fighting weights. Pulling all the radios, draining fuel and sponging out the floats. The Twin Bee was just light on fuel. At the drop of the flag we both pushed the throttles forward. When I was stabilized in the air climbing I looked out my back window and there he was just struggling to break water. Great fun!
    I was there, it was pretty cool.
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You know in the early days of the fly in, little Kathy, what a great lady, was almost unbeatable. Dave Youland was great in his supercub. Charlie Coe, probably pulling 40 inches, did well in Dick’s Beaver.
    This reminds me of a Dick lecture to us young, green pilots. Dick worked for Pratt and Whitney as an engine tech before WWII. They tested all the engines to destruction,
    So one day we had a pilot return with part of a spruce tree lodged under the Beaver. He came in to the office and was upset. Dick was there and sat down. The young pilot said he knew it was close, but he never exceeded 36 inches.
    Dick rounded up all us, working in the hangar, for a meeting. I will never forget what he said!
    When I was at P&W we ran the 985s continuously for 24 hours at 42 inches. If you are in a jam, push forward. Jake Morrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1473C View Post
    If you are in a jam, push forward. Jake Morrel
    Take-off Power is red line

Military Power is above redline

OH SH!T Power is to the Stops until you are clear!

Where can we find that book?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was checked out in a Beaver in 1977 there was no Flight Manual available, just a mark on the MP gauge and tach. Check pilot said run 30" unless there's a problem on floats then use Wartime power. So I did G/W takeoffs on 4930's all summer at 30" until leaving Chandalar Lake one September with the rear floats under water with two field camps aboard. Upped the power to that MP mark and gee it finally took off from that very long lake (5 mi). Made it over the hills to the south at 30" and learned something. Finally read the FM this summer. Too late for me.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Maine Authors Publishing Jake Morrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't quite finished that great book yet but what's apparent are the challenging weather conditions in the air and on the ground. Lots of good info on how they dealt with that.

Gary