• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Just Curious

Your knowingly buying uncertified experimental parts and your an uncertified machanic installing them on an uncertified experimental airplane. Your liable for your own safety.

Glenn

Glenn,

Read up on an accident involving one John Denver. The builder of that airplane was sued down to parade rest......by a very wealthy family. To teach a lesson, perhaps?

MTV

Earl, The example which I gave was on a new airplane on it's delivery flight to it's initial owner during the 1950s. It may have been the first Helio on floats. That, I'm not certain of. That accident took place in western Mass or NY state. Old in years airplanes are a different issue which boils down to maintenance, usage and the environment in which it is used. I don't know why, but strut less high wings always made me suspicious while low wings do not. I recall during the early 60s converting a military Cessna 195 to civilian use there was an AD note which required installing steel bars across the center section connecting the two wings. Perhaps there needs to be something of this sort on the old Helios?

Glenn,

Read up on an accident involving one John Denver. The builder of that airplane was sued down to parade rest......by a very wealthy family. To teach a lesson, perhaps?

MTV

Which is insanity, and leads into problems with NTSB reports.

In a majority of GA accidents the report is concluded with "pilot error" as being the cause, without even listing any contributing factors. But yet somehow, in Denver's crash without cameras, data recorders, or other hard data, they conclude that the cause was due to him "likely" attempting to reach the fuel selector, because he would have "likely" pushed on a rudder pedal, thereby causing loss of control. Why is that report so subjective?

None the less, until our society is restricted from being so litigious, its the world we live in.

That was a long time ago. One high profile case with a very obscure ending hasn't set the tone for the industry.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The heirs of John Denver have settled awrongful-death lawsuit charging that a faulty fuel valve caused the singer's
homemade plane to plunge into the ocean off the California coast in October
"The suit has been settled," Jim Roop, a spokesman for Gould Electronics Inc.,
one of the companies named in the suit, said on Friday. "As usual in these
things, they are not providing any details, but it is done."

Denver died when his futuristic, Y-shaped Long-EZ plane fell into the Pacific
off Monterey, California, about 100 miles (160 km) south of San Francisco, on
Oct. 12, 1997.

Gould Electronics and a supplier of parts for homemade aircraft were then sued
by Denver's three children -- Jesse Belle Denver, Zachary Deutschendorf and
Anna Kate Deutschendorf -- and his mother, Erma Deutschendorf.

Their suit blamed a fuel valve problem for taking the life of the boyish
53-year-old singer star, known for such hits as "Rocky Mountain High" and "Take
Me Home, Country Roads."

A report by the National Transportation Safety Board found no problem with the
fuel valve on the aircraft. Federal investigators attributed the crash to low
fuel supply, a badly positioned fuel switch and Denver's inexperience in flying
the unusual fiberglass aircraft.

Roop said that the settlement involved no admission of liability by the
companies. He noted that in the case of Gould Electronics, the product named in
the suit was a valve manufactured by a former industrial products group no

longer part of the company.

sky

I remember John Roberts and Larry Montgomery dealing with the carry-through AD ............ late 70's? The plane they were talking about had light previous damage from trees while on floats and thot it might have been a contributing factor. John's son Brant just passed about a year ago and would have been a great source for more exacting info as he worked with John until he died. He gave me all of John's Helio records years ago and some info might be in there. I remember John and Larry having new or re-worked trussed carry through sections in hand and having to deal with getting them installed. I was in my early 20's then and mostly chasing girls, race cars and motorcycles. Airplanes were on the back burner then................

Last edited:
Southern Aero,
My rather distant association with Helio dates from the early 60s when the production facility was in Pittsburgh Kansas and there was an experimental facility at Hanscom Field in Bedford Mass. This was during the time that the Twin Courier was in production. I worked at their original location, the old Canton Mass airport. My two bosses were ex Helio engineers who had gone to work on their own developing a twin engine amphibian. My coworker was an ex Helio mechanic who had worked for Helio at Canton. We utilized some of Helio's equipment for parts forming.

Re Helios: Rode in one on wheels a few times as passenger with Wright's out of Fairbanks in the 1970's. Some doing sheep surveys on calm days but most was going to and from the Hughes area in the Fall to catch Sheefish for the hatchery for a few years. Hap Hanlon (SP?) owned the plane we flew in I was told and Indian Mountain near Hughes makes weather and gets bumpy. He'd pull back on the controls after every big bump and slow down, then speed up. I asked him why in pre-headset days and all I recall was stress on wings and plane didn't like turbulence. Cruise was 120's. Not sure what he slowed to.

One accident report discussing maneuvering speed and wear: http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2001/a01p0203/a01p0203.pdf

Gary

This is becoming more troubling. If my former employers were still living it would be interesting to discus the wing separations with them. They performed the structural engineering on the Helio wings.

Pete,
You are a wealth of information and always interested in safety. Sad to think someone else may have to kill another
load of inocent folks before a very obvious problem gets looked into deeper.......:evil:
The Helio is a wonderful airplane but how the wing attaches to the airframe has always been a Controversial subject; for a long time. I think if
they were ever build them again they would want to Compleately redesign the attachment system! Like seriously consider a STRUT.
We had two of them at Valhalla Lodge. A 250 n 295. I loved the little one on wheels.
It brought new meaning to " landing slow"
Kirk wrecked it in a BAD crosswind behind the lodge when most folks wouldnt have tryed it with a Cherokee 6..........
Bob Curtis gave us both "1 hr" in them and said " your both good to go" . I am thinking more like 15/20 hrs would be alot more like it. Kirk told me it took him a couple hundred hours to start to feel comfortable
In the Helio.
With no disrespect towards Otto C. Koppen. I sure think this design of how he attached the wing :will over time tarnish his legacy.
E

Last edited:
Pete,
You are a wealth of information and always interested in safety. Sad to think someone else may have to kill another
load of inocent folks before a very obvious problem gets looked into deeper.......:evil:
The Helio is a wonderful airplane but how the wing attaches to the airframe has always been a Controversial subject; for a long time. I think if
they were ever build them again they would want to Compleately redesign the attachment system! Like seriously consider a STRUT.
We had two of them at Valhalla Lodge. A 250 n 295. I loved the little one on wheels.
It brought new meaning to " landing slow"
Kirk wrecked it in a BAD crosswind behind the lodge when most folks wouldnt have tryed it with a Cherokee 6..........
Bob Curtis gave us both "1 hr" in them and said " your both good to go" . I am thinking more like 15/20 hrs would be alot more like it. Kirk told me it took him a couple hundred hours to start to feel comfortable
In the Helio.

anyone got a picture or an AD to link here... not familiar with it..

wonder if the erosion is just from wallowed out hole hammering, like the rear beaver attach fittings on the wing spar?

The Branhams are the experts on them Mike. We had ALOT of problems with the geared engine in the H 295 .
Clyinders every 5/600 hrs was common. A new IO 550 ; would be a huge improvement for the Helio maintenance wise.

Last edited:
...wonder if the erosion is just from wallowed out hole hammering, like the rear beaver attach fittings on the wing spar?
I did the first annual on a new Lake LA-4-200 and found some black powder stains in the right wheel well at the rear wing attach fitting. This is a one bolt attachment. When I pulled the bolt I found that the fitting which was attached to the fuselage was shaped like a figure 8. Apparently when the wings were installed and the hole was line drilled the wing wasn't up tight against the fuselage so they redrilled the hole. Needless to say the factory quickly gave me a new fitting to install. :oops:

The Branhams are the experts on them Mike. We had ALOT of problems with the geared engine in the H 295 .
Clyinders every 5/600 hrs was common. A new 550 would be a huge improvement for the Helio maintenance wise.
The reason that they used the geared engine was so that they could use a large diameter slow turning prop for low speed thrust. While the 550 would be a good idea the prop tip speed would be higher than desired. Their use of the O-540 was an attempt to eliminate the geared engine and it's higher cost which as I understood it wasn't as good a performer and didn't sell as well.

The first Helio was a modified PA-17 Vagabond. http://www.acmp.com/blog/helio-courier-from-modified-vagabond-to-vietnams-cia-stallion.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_Courier I knew the original test pilot, Jack Phillips who was the head of the sales department for Wiggins for many years.

I watched a wing go on a Helio once. The one piece wing drops over 4 big studs and 4 big nuts are run down, big time. The mechanic had a huge wrench with an extention and yelled down twice to have the torque spec verified. He was giving it nearly all he had. So the main bolts are in tension(not shear) and highly preloaded. Lovely.

I watched a wing go on a Helio once. The one piece wing drops over 4 big studs and 4 big nuts are run down, big time. The mechanic had a huge wrench with an extention and yelled down twice to have the torque spec verified. He was giving it nearly all he had. So the main bolts are in tension(not shear) and highly preloaded. Lovely.

I beg to differ........... If I can get this image out of the parts manual to go in here............. The attach bolts are in double shear which is usually preferred ....... Regardless, it was the carry-thru truss that was the problem in the early days not the attach method. Damage history, corrosion could surely contribute to other failures. The upper attach method seems a little unorthodox but would only be a factor with negative loads. The wings are left and right, not one piece.

Helio Wing Attach.jpg

Attachments

• Helio Wing Attach.jpg
    Helio Wing Attach.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Previous Helio info from here: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?37451-Helio-Courier

My experience was as a passenger and tail pusher. Land on soft one-way gravel bar like we did and turning 180 wasn't an option. Lift-push-pry with drift wood-repeat. No approved tundra tires. Then I started flying myself and another into the Koyukuk River Sheefish camp with a Scout so we could avoid getting stuck with the Helio if the water came up and flooded the bar.

Gary

Yeah, the 7 and 8 parts. I don't see anything else holding the fuselage up. 4 vertical bolts, threads in(a whole lot of) tension. Not a problem, it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, makes you wonder about other decisions. I didn't see them put the wing together, and I assumed it was one piece.

Unless you happen to sell an E-AB to rich/famous person who does something stupid the liability threat is almost zero for the individual builder but many people are afraid and de-register and sell for parts anyway. OTOH if you are in the business of making parts it becomes more problematic. Guys like Vans simply limit their assets to the point than they aren't much of a target.
Unless you’re VANS accountant, I’m not sure how anyone would know about their “assets”.
My understanding is this; if there is an injury or worse, the lawyers are going to hunt until they find a trail right to you’re front door, especially if you have any money at all. They will take your coat too if possible.
Not only do we have the “entitled” to contend with, we have the “not responsible” as well.
Roddy

Back