• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What do we all have in common?

Eddie Foy

South Florida
E2C2E083-150D-4D58-9A84-67B5237367C5.jpeg

Attachments

• E2C2E083-150D-4D58-9A84-67B5237367C5.jpeg
    E2C2E083-150D-4D58-9A84-67B5237367C5.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 277
As I told ex wife number 2. "Don't ever make me chose between you and an airplane. You will lose."
I had a relative whose wife put him in this exact spot about 40 yrs. ago. She left the next day. He continued to fly for decades after that and still does occasionally.

Flying is the second best thrill known to man.
Landing is the first!

Yesterday was spent with family and a few friends at the Memorial service for my Dad and in preparation we went through pictures and stories and one I shared with the 14 of us who gathered for a great dinner the night before in my hanger were the things of high importance to him that I found found in his Safe Deposit Box. Together were his hand written birth certificate (Chicago 1919), his baptismal record (Tulsa 1921) his “Grey Card” (Commander USNR) and his private pilots certificate (SEL, Instrument). Think I’ll give it to my daughter Molly after she flys me to breakfast this morning.

Last edited:
Yesterday was spent with family and a friends at the Memorial service for my Dad and in preparation we went through pictures and stories and one I shared with the 14 of us who gathered for a great dinner the night before in my hanger were the things of high importance to him that I found found in his Safe Deposit Box. Together were his hand written birth certificate (Chicago 1919), his baptismal record (Tulsa 1921) his “Grey Card” (Commander USNR) and his private pilots certificate (SEL, Instrument). Think I’ll give it to my daughter Molly after she flys me to breakfast this morning.
I think I would be tempted to frame them in a collodge, maybe along with your favorite picture of him.

14812bcf2098a32c76a1e3d59ffc13d1.jpg
Being married to a cub driver, my wife does know the ifr acronym(i fallow roads).

Attachments

• 14812bcf2098a32c76a1e3d59ffc13d1.jpg
    14812bcf2098a32c76a1e3d59ffc13d1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 208
I believe what we have in common---I can't think of an exception---is that we're a classless fraternity. In most recreational pursuits there's a sense of we are what we own, big boat big man, and what distinguishes us is the pure love of flying.

What do we have in common?

the feeling deep inside when the hangar door opens slightly and floods the first shards of light upon the airframe, the irresistible urge to run a hand along its lines....the smell that floods our minds with visions of adventures past and future. A sound overhead that none among us can ignore....eyes turn skyward involuntarily.
It’s difficult to put all of the feelings for all of us here, but these and many others like them, I believe, are common to us all.

If every time you walk away from your plane and you turn around for one last look at it and you think to yourself " what a lucky boy I am " then your screwed as far as any type of cure for your disability

Glenn

We have been married 46 years. Although ambivalent about airplanes Marcia has always supported my flying. I feel the same about her horses but support them too. Of coarse between the horses and airplanes(not to mention guns and motorcycles) we manage to stay very poor....

View attachment 38853
Being married to a cub driver, my wife does know the ifr acronym(i fallow roads).

When I was dating, I met a woman who was a private pilot, loved Cubs and all tail draggers. We also had several other mutual interests such a horse racing. Bottom line was we went out for a few dates but it was like Coke with no fizz. The woman I eventually married knew nothing of aviation but likes to fly with me and enjoys my dedication to aviation. That is what you want. Someone who understands your passions and helps you fulfill your dreams.

I'm surprised no one mentioned author of the lead-off inspiring quote, Adolph Galland, the great German fighter pilot who confronted Goring, head of the Luftwaffe, when asked what was needed to beat the Royal Air Force during Battle of Britain, replied: "A squadron of Spitfires." He flew ME 109s.

My family was in Hitler's and Goring's debt during the war. My father was shot down in 1942 and my mother used to say, "Thanks to Hitler, I know where he is at night." It was actually Goring who made all Allied air force officers his personal prisoners, treated far better than any others, in his Stalag Luft III, scene of The Great Escape.

Stalag Luft III had six deaths from natural causes during the war. The adjoining Stalag VIIIC holding Russian prisoners, without protection of the Geneva Convention, underfed and overworked, died by the hundreds, wagons picking up the dead every day. My father was intelligence chief leading up to the escape.

The Germans suspecting something was up, moved my father and 10 other troublemakers to nearby special camp Belaria. Dad had made two unsuccessful escapes. Otherwise he would have been in the break-out and likely shot with the 50 POWs murdered by the Gestapo. The RAF tracked down every one of the killers and saw justice done.

The Great Escape. A Canadian Story, by Ted Barris (Thomas Allen Publishers) is a good read. My wife and daughter and I visited the Stalag Luft III museum near Zagan, Poland, formerly Germany's Lower Silesia, in April.

See post #7.

I'm surprised no one mentioned author of the lead-off inspiring quote, Adolph Galland, the great German fighter pilot who confronted Goring, head of the Luftwaffe, when asked what was needed to beat the Royal Air Force during Battle of Britain, replied: "A squadron of Spitfires." He flew ME 109s.

My family was in Hitler's and Goring's debt during the war. My father was shot down in 1942 and my mother used to say, "Thanks to Hitler, I know where he is at night." It was actually Goring who made all Allied air force officers his personal prisoners, treated far better than any others, in his Stalag Luft III, scene of The Great Escape.

Stalag Luft III had six deaths from natural causes during the war. The adjoining Stalag VIIIC holding Russian prisoners, without protection of the Geneva Convention, underfed and overworked, died by the hundreds, wagons picking up the dead every day. My father was intelligence chief leading up to the escape.

The Germans suspecting something was up, moved my father and 10 other troublemakers to nearby special camp Belaria. Dad had made two unsuccessful escapes. Otherwise he would have been in the break-out and likely shot with the 50 POWs murdered by the Gestapo. The RAF tracked down every one of the killers and saw justice done.

The Great Escape. A Canadian Story, by Ted Barris (Thomas Allen Publishers) is a good read. My wife and daughter and I visited the Stalag Luft III museum near Zagan, Poland, formerly Germany's Lower Silesia, in April.

Back