Thread: What License?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Richgj3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had been flying for 30 years and was on my third airplane before anybody ever asked to see my license or medical. When I rented it was at the FBO where I learned, so they knew. I think I’ve been ramped 3 times in 51 years. Of course when I started adding ratings I had to show credentials.

in this case his lack of license probably wasn’t a factor, but lack of Medical might have been. We had a guy flying a complex single at our airport three years out of annual and no medical for longer than that because of a heart condition. One Saturday morning we found him dead in his car in front of his hangar.

I would bet bet more of this goes on than you would think, mostly without a disaster.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    "I would bet bet more of this goes on than you would think, mostly without a disaster."

Bingo! Give that man a cigar.

I can think of more guys like this than those who have stayed legal.(Just a guess!) At least none of them fly IFR. Come to think of it I don't think my CFI asks for my licence for BFR. Do CFI's report BFR's? I'm flying light sport so no medical. Of coarse if I didn't have a ticket, why bother with a BFR?

This story just doesn't surprise me. It will become less an issue as the boomers die off.......

And frankly considering the LSA accident rate pilots w/o medical might be better off not changing airplanes?

Ramp check....all the FAA guys seem to be glued to their decks anymore.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Delete
    Last edited by Cub Special Ed; 09-13-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Do CFI's report BFR's? I'm flying light sport so no medical. Of course if I didn't . . .

Shhh! There is a move afoot to do just that. CFIs are now encouraged to file some sort of report, but it is not mandatory. The next step will be like the instrument thing - you must do pretty much a complete instrument checkride if you go more than a year without six approaches and a hold. The Flight Review could easily go that way, and then guys like me couldn't just give an endorsement for tailwheel and flight review - we would have to simulate an x-c, and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FAA wants everyone to file an 8710 for a BFR, but it's not required - yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
    The FAA wants everyone to file an 8710 for a BFR, but it's not required - yet.
    At my last renewal and the one before that mention was made of filing an 8710 through IACRA for the IPC but so far it’s not mandatory. I hope neither that nor the Flight Review fall victim to additional reporting. There are quite a few pilots I know who have never used IACRA and I don’t want to be teaching that. I spent my career designing computer hardware and writing software followed by supervising a large group writing application software in High Level and Graphic languages for Fortune 500 companies. I have to say I’m not impressed with the user friendliness of the software applications we are expected to navigate by FAA.

Rich
    Likes windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They will just create more outlaws.
    Likes skywagon8a, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n40ff View Post
    "I would bet bet more of this goes on than you would think, mostly without a disaster."

Bingo! Give that man a cigar.

I can think of more guys like this than those who have stayed legal.(Just a guess!) At least none of them fly IFR. Come to think of it I don't think my CFI asks for my licence for BFR. Do CFI's report BFR's? I'm flying light sport so no medical. Of coarse if I didn't have a ticket, why bother with a BFR?

This story just doesn't surprise me. It will become less an issue as the boomers die off.......

And frankly considering the LSA accident rate pilots w/o medical might be better off not changing airplanes?

Ramp check....all the FAA guys seem to be glued to their decks anymore.

Jack
    This story is actually surprising. It takes a special kind to ride around in a heavily populated place, in a twin, with an innocent passenger onboard without a valid license. (Bet she didn’t have a clue about that). Very nervy. Riding around in a cub, from a remote farm or lake, by yourself, is not nervy or hard to understand.
    Roddy

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a point but over time people will rationalize illegal behavior. This guy seems to have been an outlaw forever? I'm still not surprised. Of coarse his lack of paper may not be the cause although lack of recurrent training likely is a factor?
    Last edited by n40ff; 09-14-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Likes RoddyM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too hate IACRA. I stumble every time I try. Last time I had to get FAA help at the FSDO. A simpler diagnostic routine would work.

I too worked in computers in the Fortran days. I have programmed in assembly and using ones and zeros. I am baffled by IACRA.