• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop Choices for O-360-C4P

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In a recent conversation with a friend recently about a SC I am looking at the subjects of prop availability was discussed. This particular Super Cub has an O-360-C4P engine. It has all the light weight items (starter/Alt) so the plane is relatively light for an O-360. EW is 1227 LBS.

[/FONT] Being a certified plane I only know of a couple different props that are legal on this engine installed on a Super Cub. A Sensenich and the McCauley, which is what is on the plane (82" climb). Not knowing much about these engines I tried looking up to see if anything else was available but have come up with nothing.

There is a guy at the local airport that has a very similarly built SC and he has a Hartzell Trail Blazer CS prop on his plane. I have found out that the O-360-C4P is a hollow crank engine that does not allows the use of a CS prop.

Is there anyone that knows of any other props that can be used on this engine, legally of course.

Don’t a couple of guys here have the Sensenich WC-80 composite prop? It’s approved on a 180hp Supercub.

Find an experimental and use whatever you want!

Find an experimental and use whatever you want!

Totally agree! That was the exact feelings I have had lately and was my original plan as I definitely prefer owning an experimental. There is no way I could build a similarly built SC for close to the asking price of this one. My main concern though it the very long period of non activity and knowing that a Lycoming does not like sitting. Could end up being another costly project.

The C4P is a solid crankshaft so fixed pitch only. What does the STC for the O-360 say? It should list approved props. The wood Sensenich is the only other one I know of for the solid cranked O-360s. There is an STC for it.

I have a C4P 0-360 on my experimental Smith kit I built. I had Steve Tubbs build up my engine from a factory new Lycoming engine. I cant remember if he ordered the engine with a hollow crank or changed it at my request thinking I might want to go with a variable pitch prop later down the road. He changed out the pistons with 10:1 and the heads were sent to Lycon which did their magic to them. This engine makes great power. I have used a McCauley 84/45 fixed pitch prop since day one and it pulls great out of the hole on floats. this plane in cruise @ 2450 does 104 MPH. It doesn't matter if I am on ski's, 31" bush wheels or floats it 104 MPH. Someday I want to try Cato prop. There are a number of guys up here in Alaska using them and everyone seem to like them, I think mainly for the weight savings.

I've own 2 C4P engines. A McCauley 1A200/FA8242 pitch was great for me on floats-skis-wheels.. 81/42 would be best on amphibs.

I've own 2 C4P engines. A McCauley 1A200/FA8242 pitch was great for me on floats-skis-wheels.. 81/42 would be best on amphibs.

I run 3 cubs with 0360 on them I like the 82/40 but all I am looking for is pulling power not speed

You try a 90" Catto with the correct pitch so you can just crack redline in level flight. And you will have 3 metal props for sale shortly there after......:lol:
Change your Cub so it feels more like a PA 11 when your
landing it. Removing THAT much weight off the end of the crank is a BIG advantage. As our old cook used to say " you try it, you gonna like it"

Last edited:
You try a 90" Catto with the correct pitch so you can just crack redline in level flight. And you will have 3 metal props for sale shortly there after......:lol:
Change your Cub so it feels more like a PA 11 when your
landing it. Removing THAT much weight off the end of the crank is a BIG advantage. As our old cook used to say " you try it, you gonna like it"

His customers, the people on the ground where he is towing his banners and the FAA might not like that. 8) I do remember a certain Super Cub outlaw departing Oshkosh one year that sounded like a Cessna 185.

Seams like I have heard that before Steve. ;-)Like Willy n Waylon said for years. Gotta love an "outlaw".
But I do hear what your sayin.......

The C4P is a solid crankshaft so fixed pitch only. What does the STC for the O-360 say? It should list approved props. The wood Sensenich is the only other one I know of for the solid cranked O-360s. There is an STC for it.

Thanks Steve! I flew over to look at the plane, paperwork, and logs yesterday. The STC does call out the legal props and as mentioned, only the McCauley and the Sensenich are on the STC.

I'm on hold for the purchase until I can get the engine looked at. It has only had 14 hours put on it in the past 14 years!! I know this is not a good thing. Called the local engine guru yesterday and he advised pulling the right front cylinder to check the cylinder and cam.

Sounds like the yellow cub in Hawley that Scheftner build? Can't say much about the engine but his workmanship is probably one of the best in the country, I put some of those 14 hours on the plane and it is a little nose heavy but manageable.

Sent you a PM

SC Rocker cover 1.jpgPulled a couple rocker covers yesterday. I was worried about internal corrosion on this engine due to inactivity. Of course the seller is adamant that it is fine and he 'ran it up' once in awhile. My years of working on engines, this usually is not good verses preserving it. Called a friend and he has been great with giving advice. Next step will be to see if I can find someone to pull a cylinder or scope it to check the cam, etc. Not a good sign.SC Rocker cover.jpg

Attachments

• SC Rocker cover.jpg
    SC Rocker cover.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 163
  • SC Rocker cover 1.jpg
    SC Rocker cover 1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 200
That rust is pretty normal on the inside of the rocker cover. There is a thread here somewhere on a 180 SC that sat quite a while and I pulled 2 cylinders. All was good. Pictures are in the thread. It is all a crap shoot.

Thanks Chuck and Steve! I agree, it's a crap shoot!! Engine and inside of the cowling has a light coating of oil with many drips of oil on it. Every rocker cover was barely finger tight. The rocker assembly itself looked good but if I am to spend well over $100,000 for an airplane, I want a thorough look at it no mater what the owner says how good it is. I've been down this road before on a purchase of a plane that sat for years. After several flying hours the engine went TU! Several thousands of dollars later with new cylinders and pistons, etc. and lots of down time. Owner is unwilling to make any considerations or help if things are bad. Hopefully I can get Randy Rubbert to travel over and pull a cylinder or two before any money changes hands. If there are any further issues, I will walk away.

Back