• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aviate, Navigate and Communicate

This story has been all over the news here for two days. We are still awaiting what came off. Did the wheel retaining nut come off and the wheel slide off the axle? Did the axle break off? Did the scissors break and the shock strut slide out of the gear leg? The news says that it was a Piper so I've assumed that it is a Cherokee.

This story has been all over the news here for two days. We are still awaiting what came off. Did the wheel retaining nut come off and the wheel slide off the axle? Did the axle break off? Did the scissors break and the shock strut slide out of the gear leg? The news says that it was a Piper so I've assumed that it is a Cherokee.

Warrior, if the plane in the picture in the article is the one.

MTV

I listened to the audio on YouTube and she definitely did a great job as did the tower controller and her instructors who were summoned to assist. Through it all including a scared voice and likely some tears this girl did it right, she flew the plane.

My daughter Molly learn to fly at the same age and as the dad I definitely made sure she flew far better training aircraft than I did... and I know her instruction would have brought her home safely just as happened here. But one funny thing, obviously related to my recent eye surgery, while listening to the exchange my eyes produced excessive lubrication that didn't stop until everyone told Maggie good job.

I truly hope Maggie sticks with flying.

Last edited:
She would make a great instructor if she decides to persue it. In the mean time, i thinks she's entitiled to request a big block of free rental hours.

May or may not have been an interesting landing in Portland had the pilot on the ground in Beverly not noticed her gear fell off...

May or may not have been an interesting landing in Portland had the pilot on the ground in Beverly not noticed her gear fell off...
Probably would have made a good landing just the same.
Now throw that wet blanket back in the dryer.
Roddy

Back