• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hood scoop ???

TurboBeaver

Northern Maine
Here is a pic of a Maine Warden flying a PA12 owned by the dept . Anyone care to guess what the airscoop ontop of the cowling was used for???morrel-gary-dumond-14.jpg

Attachments

• morrel-gary-dumond-14.jpg
    morrel-gary-dumond-14.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 352
Ventilation/cooling in a very hot place for the engine/pilot/something else that had to be kept cool?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I see that the air filter has been moved from the left nose bowl opening. Did they move it up there? Nope, changed my mind. Ram air for the oil cooler that was attached to the engine mount

Last edited:
Is it possible it was put there to slow the 12s down, so the 18's could catch up...........:wink:
All joking aside I would like to know where to find one of those vintage oil cans with flex hose coming from the bottom????

Scratching my head. That the wrong side of the baffling to add pressure......

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'm guessing an air source for a firewall mounted oil cooler. Poor location for visibility.

But I would like to find one of the "Lycoming" propeller hub plates that he has....

Well now that you mention that:
We did use em! Here is the old Cruiser
back in the 80's, with a set of M&H
Slicks on it. They were incredible in
Swamps. Kelly Vrem and I used to land
them in places so wet; that when you jumped
out of the airplane you could go over the tops
of "12" Bean Boots.... Lots of water flying on the
Windshields in those days. Here is a happy hunter
With a decent moose in front of 4018H.20180911_014734.jpg
Note: See the FA Dodge " hurricane" tie down straps outboard of the wing struts. Those saved that plane twice
down on the Peninsula, in 80kt winds when Cubs tied right
in same storms were ripped to shreads tied just to end of
Struts. Best insurance policy you can purchase; period.

Attachments

• 20180911_014734.jpg
    20180911_014734.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
The airplane was also our daily ride for fish spotting, every spring.Had both Icom 2m(included 156mhz, marine)/6meters, VHF, Kenwood SSB HF, 440mhz UHF, Aircraft VHF, n Elt antennas.
Cyclops scramblers plus some other not so well
known stuff........ Secretive bunch those "spotters". When herring was $2K a ton, and you could slap the handcuffs around a few hundred tons in one set,
And the pilots percentage was 25 percent. It was pretty serious bussiness, where ANYTHING went...........
E
The HF also had a long wire so I could let out 1 full wavelenght or 2 wavelenghts and have a perfect match SWR wise. Juneau or Kotzebue from Togiak anytime on 5631........ Whitehorse Radio on 5680.Or any lodge on 3201.
AK F&G was on 4460 but that was not common to crystal HF radios for obvious reasons. Evenings we
Could make a phone patch with Trident Radio if you could squeeze in past Bob Curtis; calling for a patch
, And I can still hear him now; calling "Trident radio ; WGG 97 Tickchik Lk over".

Last edited:
D99BA91F-A4FF-4E39-BFD6-14969F4A6899.jpegOld picture of myJ-5 with a scoop. It was ducted down to the oil filter adapter. I made a new top cowl and removed the scoop and don’t remember a difference in temps.

Attachments

• D99BA91F-A4FF-4E39-BFD6-14969F4A6899.jpeg
    D99BA91F-A4FF-4E39-BFD6-14969F4A6899.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 264
Used to be a dark green SC came to the Gulkana air show that had a scoop much like that. It directed air to an oil cooler. Can’t remember the gyys name who owned it. Might have been EX.

MTV

I seem to recall “ eyebrow” scoops on top of the cowl to blow air down the back of the rear cylinders, ....on carbon Cubs?
The top of the cowl is not a great high pressure area to be drawing air from unless you are NOT climbing....dumping the air into the front of the baffles, as Mike mcs said, is not great either.

Last edited:
Mike,
That Dk Green cub you saw there, was likely Mark Bills from Willow. Extreame lightweight one with smoking hot
0 360.
Experimental, built from scratch. Pawnee prop. Honest 100ft airplane. Standard cowling so that big carburetor, hung right down and Out threw the bottom, so both carb n airbox were outside. Makin so much
HP, If I remember right he was running same jet as for 210hp to get it to work correctly. Had it set up with Nitrous for competition stuff. Pretty impressive 18.
One of the finest Cub builders up there. Expert tig welder,
High quality fabric work. Had a nice jig. Top Dog cub guy.

Last edited:
Mike,
That Dk Green cub you saw there, was likely Mark Bills from Willow. Extreame lightweight one with smoking hot
0 360.
Experimental, built from scratch. Pawnee prop. Honest 100ft airplane. Standard cowling so that big carburetor, hung right down and Out threw the bottom, so both carb n airbox were outside. Makin so much
HP, If I remember right he was running same jet as for 210hp to get it to work correctly. Had it set up with Nitrous for competition stuff. Pretty impressive 18.
One of the finest Cub builders up there. Expert tig welder,
High quality fabric work. Had a nice jig. Top Dog cub guy.

Yep, that sounds like the one. Thanks for the details.

TV

I am the one who recorded Gary Dumond for that book. In the very late 40s or very early 50s, Maine Fish and Game hired a very talented mechanic named Howard Lambertson. They sarted with 108 Cruisers, then got 125s and later 150s. He may have installed the scoop for approval. Howard also got an STC for Cruiser flaps, in his own name. Gary flew over 20,000 hours over the Maine North Woods, retiring in 1991. Just this past summer they rehired him for two months. Go to backcountrypilot.org to read several of his stories along with several vintage photos. Jake

6292D31E-9994-49B8-BF3C-6359664C2E76.jpgHere is another photo of Mac taken in the 50s. He is in the center. Jake

Attachments

• 6292D31E-9994-49B8-BF3C-6359664C2E76.jpg
    6292D31E-9994-49B8-BF3C-6359664C2E76.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 205
Here is the first fleet. Jake31564302-33B3-44E4-A0CE-A82B072AD10A.jpg

Attachments

• 31564302-33B3-44E4-A0CE-A82B072AD10A.jpg
    31564302-33B3-44E4-A0CE-A82B072AD10A.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 226
View attachment 38823Here is another photo of Mac taken in the 50s. He is in the center. Jake

Hmmm, looks like a 1950 Lincoln Limousine; you gearheads please correct me. I think President Truman used just such a thing, and maybe Eisenhower, probably other VIP's. Either that or Maine Fish and Game was VERY well funded.

Thanks. cubscout

Back