• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuselage Design and Crosswind Component?

During the type certification process, the FAA requires the manufacturer to demonstrate that its airplane can be controlled in 90-degree crosswinds up to 20% of Vso.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'm late to the discussion, but I fly a few taildraggers. At the US Naval Test Pilot School, we have two Beavers and one Otter with conventional gear. The Beaver has a 10 kt crosswind limit and the Otter's is 13 kts. Both are limits and not "Max demonstrated" as some aircraft have. "Max demonstrated" is just that; there is no implication that it's a limit. It is just what they tested.

Both Beaver and Otter limits are based on the aircraft's strong weathervaning tendency on the deck. Both aircraft are capable of producing 20+ degrees of sideslip with rudder, but cannot overcome weathervaning on the ground. Weathervaning is largely a function of sail area aft of the pivot point (main wheels). Thus, the flat-sided Beaver generates a lot! Despite the Otter having a larger moment arm aft of the main wheels and a larger sail area, the locking tailwheel increases directional stability on the ground.

My little Cessna 120 has landed at 25 kts crosswind and I'm certain the DHCs would do more than advertised with a proficient pilot. That said, I don't condone violating limits. And when your landing roll is only a few hundred feet, it is easy to land diagonally to remove crosswind.

I have to ask.
What else do you fly at the US Naval Test Pilot School?

I have to ask.
What else do you fly at the US Naval Test Pilot School?

I'm fortunate to fly the FA18F Super Hornet, T6B Texan II, U-6A Beaver, NU-1B Otter and the X-26 glider (Schweizer 2-32). That will end in November as I transition to a new job, but I've got enough GA flying too keep me happy.

Jeremy

Back