• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sky-Tec Starter install?

TurboBeaver

Northern Maine
Got a SkyTec with celinoid on outside facing cowlings.
Wondering if there is a fix for the two legs of the oil cooler
That are NOT going to clear the celinoid? Measuring over
To the generator bracket it looks like a RH mounted one "might" clear????? How are guys mounting these on O320s with a front mounted oil cooler????
E

Head over to Steve's short wing piper website and search Skytech. There are a couple of vary simple solutions for installing the Skytech NL starter. Don't really recommend the one you have although it weighs less.

Across the board the NL starter is superior to all.

Rocket

Yep,
I sent it back today . Way too much involved to get that one on. Have to modify ALL three brace tubes on the oil cooler. Going to try with celinoid on other side. See if it will
Clear the generator bracket? Thanks for the help.

There are other ways to loose those few pounds from the starter!

;)

Doug

Good to see you this weekend.

Be SURE to make sure your impulse coupler in mag is good before installing the new permanent magnet starters. Don’t skip this step. They spin faster & stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Doug that weight is necessary to hold you into the whitecaps when your "watersking" past the dock
with the bathing beautys suntaning! :wink:

Just realized we never finished this thread! The new one they sent me has the solenoid on the right side at the 4 Oclock position . I was concerned about it clearing the generator bracket but low n mehold it made it with .300
to spare. The gear engagement was fine without shims, and seams to work flawlessly. It was a net loss of 8lbs 11oz from the Delco Remy. Good clean installation IF you
order the right one! Web nailed that call.......tnx
E

Doing bit of research as I have ran into second occurrence of the oil cooler bracket cracking. First time (2017) I was able to have it repaired. This time around, not so interested in playing repeat. Should that wear through the topside of the oil cooler as it was attempting to do I imagine that would mess with your plans. I have Lycoming 0-320 A2B with Sky Tech Starter and Alcor Alternator. I am unsure how nice it will play after a second (possibly 3rd or 4th if counting previous welds) repair during my ownership. Should I carry on with Sky Tech Starter? Ditch a starter all together and get stock oil cooler bracket mount (I have bag lower back...)? Be a mainstream consumer and convince myself I need all new _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ fill in the blank!?! Skytech Starter has functioned very reliably in my 5 years of ownership. If SkyTech requires special oil cooler bracket fabrication, is there anyone to recommend? FA Dodge supports the B&C Starter/Alt. combo but unfortunately does not have a solution for my situation at the moment. The tolerances do not appear to be all that great so would hate to go through much effort to only find that what I source requires further modifications once in hand.
2020 - 2020 2020 2017 - 2017 2017

Attachments

• IMG-0262.jpg
    IMG-0262.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 858
Are there any metal to metal wear patterns on the components? Alternator belts can jump around and cause havoc for example. Just asking but look for shiny spots = metal to metal.

Gary

I fabricated a completely new oil cooler bracket to accommodate Skytec starter and Plane Power alternator to replace the stock items. Was challenging, but it's working fine.

Edit: I looked for pics, but guess they're lost. Sorry -

Last edited:
Are there any metal to metal wear patterns on the components? Alternator belts can jump around and cause havoc for example. Just asking but look for shiny spots = metal to metal.

Gary
Only wear was in topside of the oil cooler itself. Once bracket cracked the broken portion rubbed. Not through but on its way. Thanks for reply.

Back