• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leaking port fuel tank on landing and left rudder slip

Here is a link to a digram of the stock system. http://www.lbfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/PA-18_Information_Manual.pdf You have to go down a bit to find it. The vent line (or forward fuel pickup) also provides fuel in the nose down position. I agree it should work fine the way it is, as long as caution with prolonged nose down flight is observed. I noticed fuel valve seems to be rotated also. Like Mike said LOTS of varieties in the fuel systems.
DENNY

I’d guess the header tanks should cope with typical unusual attitudes for 5 minutes or so, how nose down and prolonged do you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks Web. Do you mean a movement away from the header, although staying in the same bay (battery compartment) or moving it nearer to the starter end of the plane?

Typically that solenoid is right next to the battery box, assuming your battery is still in this bay. Where it's currently mounted, it may come into contact with the header tank during a crash. Bad stuff will happen.

Web

Philly
Do you have the original electrical system with a start solenoid and fused master circuit or has some one added a master solenoid in place of the fuse block?

Web

Philly
Do you have the original electrical system with a start solenoid and fused master circuit or has some one added a master solenoid in place of the fuse block?

Web

Thanks for the warning of “bad stuff happening” mate!!! :)

It’s got the original system I think, with the circuit breakers on the side panel with the on/off/on master switch just in front of the door, and the 2^30 amp master fuses in the battery bay, plus the original generator charging system, now with a solid state voltage reg as discussed in another of my threads :)

The two 30 amp fuses and the master switch form the 'master circuit' on this system. That verifies that the solenoid in the pic is the start solenoid. This should be mounted right next to the battery box. As the cable between the positive post on the battery and the start solenoid is live at all times, it needs to be as short as possible. A short cable is a smaller target to be affected during a crash. That's also the reasoning behind keeping the solenoid close to the battery on this cable and the fuses close to the battery on the master circuit. When the solenoid is open or if the fuses blow, there is less wire with power applied.

Web

So do you think move the solenoid if poss, or move the header Web?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

So do you think move the solenoid if poss, or move the header Web?

The header is in the correct position. Don't move it! If you move that, you may effect the fuel flow.

I'd recommend moving the solenoid back to the battery box location, or at least farther away from the header tank.

Web

The solenoid is on the battery box mate, it’s the header that’s also been sited there, I guess when the fuel system was modded to PA18

Will do mate, later in the week. To avoid posting a duplicate thread, do you know if there’s one that describes the best way to replace the PA-12 Torque Tube arm to the first wing turnbuckle aileron cables, whilst the plane is covered please? :)

PA18 Fuel System

When I took my PA18 apart, the fuel system was very much standard and in line with the attached images.

Very good at spending other peoples money but now you have the fuel system in focus, just take a look at the "Steve's Aircraft" Gascolator". I brought one and it is great, he has the STC for it and you can fit it to a UK registered aircraft as long as he supplies a 8130-3. The old gascolator bail now has to be wire locked and also inspected regularly and this new gascolator makes that so much easier.

https://www.stevesaircraft.com/gascolator.php

Kind regards

Stew

Attachments

• 12458_System Installation-Fuel_Left_smaller file.jpg
    12458_System Installation-Fuel_Left_smaller file.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 12458_System Installation-Fuel_Right_smaller size.jpg
    12458_System Installation-Fuel_Right_smaller size.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 218
This picture seems to indicate that the battery is well below the solenoid perhaps as much as a foot. Moving it to a position next to the battery will provide a lot of distance from the header tank and the plumbing.

Kind of what I was thinking. Just want to see a picture of the layout to make sure.

Web

Kind of what I was thinking. Just want to see a picture of the layout to make sure.

Web

Hi Web, here are some pics of the battery compartment, I'm looking forward to your thoughts :)

Cheers

Uzq90NwJSFSSEHLMcZ%iTQ.jpg
xCwUsIg0TdG4Vkxc%Qh3uA.jpg
WezW+weERyq4zNm%oq7utw.jpg

Attachments

• Uzq90NwJSFSSEHLMcZ%iTQ.jpg
    Uzq90NwJSFSSEHLMcZ%iTQ.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 159
  • xCwUsIg0TdG4Vkxc%Qh3uA.jpg
    xCwUsIg0TdG4Vkxc%Qh3uA.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 171
  • WezW+weERyq4zNm%oq7utw.jpg
    WezW+weERyq4zNm%oq7utw.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 173
Move the solenoid to the floor right below the positive terminal of the battery. This will keep the 'hot' lead from the positive post to the solenoid as short as possible. Then mount the fuse block right next to it. If you can't mount it there, mount it right on the side of the battery box.

Both of these items should be away from the header tank.

Web

Move the solenoid to the floor right below the positive terminal of the battery. This will keep the 'hot' lead from the positive post to the solenoid as short as possible. Then mount the fuse block right next to it. If you can't mount it there, mount it right on the side of the battery box.

Both of these items should be away from the header tank.

Web

Thanks Web, that's in the work list!! :)

UPDATE!!! :)

I now have the tank back from the tank menders!! They pressure tested it and found 2 leaks, plus a slight driblble from the filler cap. They confirmed it's tin and therefore soldered the repairs. They also cut a further hole for access, cleaned out the inside of the tank completely, removed the filler type repairs that were there before, repaired the access hole, pressure tested again and painted the whole thing matt black. It looks pretty good to me and cost £440 in total.

I've refitted it, using new vent and fuel pipes and managed to relocate and tighten down the tank straps by myself, using slightly longer screws than were on before, so I could get the nut started. I've made 2 new neck filler grommet rubbers (Vitron sheet) which are now compressed between the tank hatch and the tank, when the filler cap is located, which SHOULD allow any fuel coming out of the cap vent to run over the wing, rather than into and under it as it may have done before, as there wasn't a proper neck seal there before. I've also made new cap seal rubbers also from Vitron sheet.

Putting the fuel gauge back in was easier than expected and I've replaced all the old tank hatch and wing fairing screws (1/3 of which I had to Dremel out anyway!!) with stainless steel ones sitting on nylon washers. I've ordered some heat activated v section rubber edging for the panels, which obviously protects the edges and should also help with sealing against fuel spills. I've used this extensively before on the Pitts and Andreasson and looks pretty good :)

I tested the tank for leaks with a gallon or so of fuel and lots of sloshing before fitting and a gallon or so after fitting and no leaks :) I've run the engine and driven around on the ground for about 30 minutes and apart from a couple of slow wind downs in the first few minutes (I'm guessing air pockets) the engine's running fine :)

Would I have done anything differently, knowing what I know now? I'd have done the filler neck grommets and cap seal rubbers and re flown before sending the tank away, although because there were always some little bits of particles when checking the fuel drain (absolutely NOTHING in the fuel when checking post repair!!) I'd have still sent it away, even if the big leak had gone away :) I'd also have refitted the tank hatch and checked the alignment of the neck filler against the filler cut-out BEFORE tightening down the tank straps, but that only cost me another 15 minutes of loosening, shuffling the tank and then retightening, so not the end of the world anyway ;)

So, hopefully leak free now (I'll report back when test flown) AND I've learned more about the Cub and basically, removing the tanks isn't much of a big deal AND as I won't be having to cut out a bunch of rusted up screws next time, it'll be even easier :)

Any questions, please ask and thanks for all your support when I was in the dark days of trying to figure all this out :)

Cheers

PhillyIMG_3156.JPGIMG_3070.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3070.JPG
    IMG_3070.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Re very stiff fuel selector, there is a Piper Service Instruction (or bulletin or letter or whatever) on it.

But what Mike says. Last year when I sold our Cub, I put a new Dakota fuel selector in. What a beautiful bit of gear. I walked away thinking why didn't I do that 17 years earlier.

Thanks texmex I've now found that Service Bulletin and we're having a go at that and if still no joy, I'll be Dakota's Cub's newest customer for their selector :smile:

kRY3hzCgScWBH5v1f653Wg.jpg%5sc5KiAS7mM9hKshKTj1g.jpg1mIpg+MgTRGbmGu0d8M+nA.jpgrb6xyqO6S4m3T8+s4xzAaQ.jpg
Re very stiff fuel selector, there is a Piper Service Instruction (or bulletin or letter or whatever) on it.

But what Mike says. Last year when I sold our Cub, I put a new Dakota fuel selector in. What a beautiful bit of gear. I walked away thinking why didn't I do that 17 years earlier.

Texmex you ROCK!!!!! :)

I applied the Piper Service Bulletin to the Fuel Selector today, really easy to do (having drained both tanks and done a fuel flow test BEFORE) just needed a scotchbrite pad, some WD40, a cleaning cloth and the grease that Piper recommended, took about 20 minutes and I've attached the before and after pics. I applied a light smear of grease to the conical valve bit and plenty to the shaft. Put the valve back into the valve body and then slotted the detent washer into its groove, added the brass washers and spring and screwed on the retaining cover. Slipping on the selector handle and needle to check all was working immediately proved what a MASSIVE difference this SB made and it literally felt like a brand new valve, very easy to turn and the detents feel very clicky and precise!!!

Tightened down the cover, replaced the fuel selector plate (with new stainless steel screws and nylon washers) and screwed on the selector lever and all still worked BEAUTIFULLY!!

Put fuel back into both tanks and turned on the selector, slight scare with just a trickle from the left tank into the bucket initially, which I guess was due to the header filling up, but plenty of flow from the right and then plenty of flow from the left. Redid the fuel flow test and similar flows, slight difference I guess due to different amounts of fuel in the tanks and therefore greater/lesser head of fuel. Reconnected the gascolator to the carburettor and ran the engine and drove around on the ground for a bit, changing tanks for fun as the selector now has the "smooth as greased silk" user experience I'm looking for :) which is light years away from the almost impossible to turn and no real detent feeling of before :)

So, I TOTALLY RECOMMEND doing this service bulletin and I won't hesitate to do it again should the fuel valve stiffen up

THANK YOU TexMex!!!! :)

Attachments

• rb6xyqO6S4m3T8+s4xzAaQ.jpg
    rb6xyqO6S4m3T8+s4xzAaQ.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 155
  • %5sc5KiAS7mM9hKshKTj1g.jpg
    %5sc5KiAS7mM9hKshKTj1g.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 1mIpg+MgTRGbmGu0d8M+nA.jpg
    1mIpg+MgTRGbmGu0d8M+nA.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 165
  • kRY3hzCgScWBH5v1f653Wg.jpg
    kRY3hzCgScWBH5v1f653Wg.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
just replace the valve with new style... if you use dakota cubs you also get a both position.... they have no issues like this...

also if you are good, you can do that valve SB cleanup job without draining plane...
one guy holds a float ball over valve while the other guy cleans and lubes it....
dicey operation... ripe to make you drop parts....

just replace the valve with new style... if you use dakota cubs you also get a both position.... they have no issues like this...

also if you are good, you can do that valve SB cleanup job without draining plane...
one guy holds a float ball over valve while the other guy cleans and lubes it....
dicey operation... ripe to make you drop parts....

Thanks Mike :) Yes, I really like the look of the Dakota Cub valve and if the SB hadn't produced such great results I'd be ordering one right now, but at over £350+ landed cost AND the shipping time, having a go at fixing and living with the original Piper valve is pretty compelling......... we'll see how long the SB works its magic for :)

It depends on the type of selector you have and if someone modified it in the past. If you have a left/right/off/off you should be able to isolate right or left tank at the valve, but the balance tube is another issue. You said the selector was stiff so I would drain both tanks and pull lube/replace the fuel selector while the tank is getting fixed. I had mine pulled and lubed and it is smooth as silk. I prefer a prefer a left/right/off/off valve (no both) myself. Lots of modified PA12/18 fuel systems out and about so my advice may not work on yours.
DENNY

Thanks for this Denny!! I did the Piper pull and lube SB today and my fuel valve is now also as smooth as silk :)

Glad it worked for you Philly5G.

I feel your pain with the thought of buying the other.

The strong USD is hurting me on the C180 reno I have going at the moment.

No! My tank had a small leak in October three years in a row. No leaks the last three years but October isn't over yet.

Back