• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One more nail in the coffin

Pretty good aim to hit his driveway with a CJ.

Sad, Tragic, stupid, lots of words to describe it. I’d say he was trying to make a statement. Didn’t take out the wife or the kid. Didn’t take out any neighbors. Maybe just snapped.

Bad chain of events. Arrested for domestic. Posted bail and went to his hangar at Spanish fork airport, and then accomplished this. Locals knew him, just like others knew the fellow that stole the Q400.

Sometimes bad sh*t happens.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Anybody notice in the photos that the aircraft made no debris trail? I would think a jet would go more thane 20 feet from impact.

My point was why in the hell don’t these morons just use a friggin gun? There are thousands of folks out there just looking for ways to ground all those “rich guys” and their airplanes.

MTV

My point was why in the hell don’t these morons just use a friggin gun? There are thousands of folks out there just looking for ways to ground all those “rich guys” and their airplanes.

MTV

Attempted murder/suicide. I'm sort of glad he didn't use a gun--he'd probably have been successful.

But, yes, it will turn up the heat for awhile. But I don't think any regulatory changes would prevent this sort of thing any more than it would the local guy who rammed his wife's house with a one ton truck. Domestic disputes and alcohol are forever with us.

MTV
That is an interesting point. I've been praying people would quit using guns so the leftists would leave guns alone. I suppose homicide victimizes much more than the slain.

My point was why in the hell don’t these morons just use a friggin gun? MTV
Or a knife or a sword or an explosive or a club or an arrow or a spear or poison or a nerve agent or - - - - - - - - - People have been doing vile deeds unto others forever, and will continue to do so. The foolish part is blaming the means, rather than the perpetrators.

Or a knife or a sword or an explosive or a club or an arrow or a spear or poison or a nerve agent or - - - - - - - - - People have been doing vile deeds unto others forever, and will continue to do so. The foolish part is blaming the means, rather than the perpetrators.
What Gordon said

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Rumor mill. Sounds like it was his employers CJ, not his. How does that play out with the insurance company.

Rumor mill. Sounds like it was his employers CJ, not his. How does that play out with the insurance company.

So many angles and complications.

I was thinking about that last night. The house is lost due to arson by (I presume) an owner. But there also is an innocent spouse.

Theft coverage probably applies to the aircraft, but if he had unlimited authorization or a financial interest in it, it gets more complicated.

In the end, narcissism run amok makes a huge mess of things. In contrast to the MASH theme song, suicide is not painless.

What Mvivion said. This is not good for GA. It will result in "minders" guarding fences doing an "assessment" on you just to get to your airplane at public airports and other "feel good" measures that will make all our lives a PITA.

That said, I am surprised a Citation 525 did not do more damage.

I have twice had airplanes stolen from my operations. Amazingly one of them was a San Jose, CA police officer who was on "medical leave" (for stress). The sheriff had his aircraft pinned with his patrol unit but he flashed his badge and the deputy backed off! He was in a BE-76 and I ran him down with an Aerostar 601P and got him to return to the airport.

Okay, that takes guts and optimism. You fly across his bow, wiggle your wings, and he followed you back into the Sheriff's loving arms? No wonder he was on medical leave.

I don't steal airplanes, but suspect that the average thief would not follow you home.

To the comment about debris field - I have very little experience with this sort of thing, but the few I have seen - the PSA crash and a couple fighter jets in my neighborhood - indicate that when an aircraft goes in vertically it looks like little more than a barbeque pit. Our houses are very close together, yet an F-18 takes out a single dwelling. Does not happen often - twice in 45 years.

Last edited:
Okay, that takes guts and optimism. You fly across his bow, wiggle your wings, and he followed you back into the Sheriff's loving arms? No wonder he was on medical leave.

I don't steal airplanes, but suspect that the average thief would not follow you home.

To the comment about debris field - I have very little experience with this sort of thing, but the few I have seen - the PSA crash and a couple fighter jets in my neighborhood - indicate that when an aircraft goes in vertically it looks like little more than a barbeque pit. Our houses are very close together, yet an F-18 takes out a single dwelling. Does not happen often - twice in 45 years.

Not how it went down. I came buzzed over the top of him at high speed over Coalinga, circled around, joined up to his starboard and put scibbled 121.5 on my window with a sharpie. He answered and I told him he had three choices. Return to RHV on my lead, auger in now over farm land or I would put my radome on his elevator and kill him. He said I might die too and I said, "I'm a better pilot than that and you know I can do it." I went on to tell him I would not allow him to get near a populated area in any circumstance. He bought the threat and said he would come home. So he did. It is similar strategy used by my cousin who was a young LT in the early 60's at Fort Knox. He had a draftee who was standing on a stool with a noose around his neck screaming he was going to kill himself. My cousin walked up and kicked the stool out. The draftee grabbed the rope.

Years ago, I did an investigation on an F-16 that went in vertically. It left a nice, clean, 32 foot wide hole. Fortunately, the pilot got out. It was too deep to dig out.

It concerns me because of what it will do to G.A this happened about 8 years ago in Austin remember, if this happens to much it will cause extra security and cause extra cost for aviation.

From the Good Morning America article:"In another video taken after the crash, the engines of the jet can be heard continuing to whine and actually seemed to be revving up, even as the house goes up in flames." Doesn't sound like an airplane that went in vertically.

Last edited:
Back