Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WAD 2018 4-8 October

Post Thanks / Like
    John John John... you are definitely more of a 'Codger than a 'Geezer. And a fast one in a J3 at that!! Looking forward to seeing you.
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Or, a Silver haired Sky God.
    Likes Farmboy, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird69 View Post
    just wait till I use my HANDICAP card----LOL--
    We will handicap you anytime it comes to competition! (otherwise we won't keep up)

Otherwise, we enjoy watching you have fun in so many attitudes!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Bob and son Seth hope to be there Friday with tent and sleeping bags if I can get my Cessna 150/150 off floats in time... And could I please have the coordinates for my GPS to the WAD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by L-19 View Post
    Dr Bob and son Seth hope to be there Friday with tent and sleeping bags if I can get my Cessna 150/150 off floats in time... And could I please have the coordinates for my GPS to the WAD?
    NH96

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks NorthcountryPilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Wes, Iím not the guy to answer that, but i expect they will say itís open to all Taildragger pilots (well, until it starts getting over capacity probably) that like to fly. Itís very much a fly-out event and we have a good time.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wad wedding invite

Please Come Celebrate with George and Annette cuz Love is in the Air!
    When we decided to get married, we wanted to include airplanes,
    the great outdoors and friends, old and new!
    So...A WAD 2018 Wedding has been planned.
    This is an open invitation to all WAD attendees to join us on
    Oct. 6 at Island Bob's (NK17) for our fly-in wedding and picnic. (read: come as you are)
    I believe we have the honor of being the first!
    Ceremony begins at 10:30 AM
    Picnic at 11:30 with airplane fun to follow!
    For meal planning purposes, please let us know if you would like to join us.
    Everybody is welcome, but nobody should go hungry!
    We are requesting a "no fly zone" from 10:30 to 11:30 so the ceremony can be uninterrupted.
    We look forward to seeing you all in October!
    George NEcub and Annette
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Hello All, my wife and I are working up here in the NE PA and looking for fly ins and such, ran across this thread and was wondering if it is open to everyone or is it private? Sounds like fun meeting new people and seeing this part of the country during that time of year from the plane, never been to NH or New England area for that matter. Thanks, Wes.
    Wes this is an open fly in. I ask when the survey Monkey comes out in the next couple of weeks you fill it out. You are more than welcome.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Schwarz
    Hello All, my wife and I are working up here in the NE PA and looking for fly ins and such, ran across this thread and was wondering if it is open to everyone or is it private? Sounds like fun meeting new people and seeing this part of the country during that time of year from the plane, never been to NH or New England area for that matter. Thanks, Wes.

Wes this is an open fly in. I ask when the survey Monkey comes out in the next couple of weeks you fill it out. You are more than welcome.

Will do, thanks. My wife and I plan on coming up!
    Wes Schwarz
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NE Cub View Post
    Please Come Celebrate with George and Annette cuz Love is in the Air!
    When we decided to get married, we wanted to include airplanes,
    the great outdoors and friends, old and new!
    So...A WAD 2018 Wedding has been planned.
    This is an open invitation to all WAD attendees to join us on
    Oct. 6 at Island Bob's (NK17) for our fly-in wedding and picnic. (read: come as you are)
    I believe we have the honor of being the first!
    Ceremony begins at 10:30 AM
    Picnic at 11:30 with airplane fun to follow!
    For meal planning purposes, please let us know if you would like to join us.
    Everybody is welcome, but nobody should go hungry!
    We are requesting a "no fly zone" from 10:30 to 11:30 so the ceremony can be uninterrupted.
    We look forward to seeing you all in October!
    George NEcub and Annette
    Hi Folks,
    It is our intent as I stated to make our Maine trip on Friday and Saturday for Island Bobs. What I would like to do is set up our round robin flights with Island Bobs 83 miles for lunch and Jim Cranes for Lunch. Now Jim Cranes is 132 miles so J3s are looking at a couple of hours if lucky. There is a ton of airports and the seacoast along the way. One group headed north through the notch over Zincks and up to Jim. The other group direct to the coast up past Bangor along the coast and over to Jim. Here is where we will swap directions.
    We all think the world of Jim but he understands if this is too far. I need some honest feedback so Jim and Brenda can plan. I also thought of making a fast airplane route with lunch at Jim and a slow airplane route with lunch on the coast. Maybe Wiscasset.
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    George and Annette congratulation on your wedding. My RSVP is that I'm going to miss your big day. The Island is right in my backyard and the WAD flyin is my big weekend off to fly around. So..... most likely I will stay North of the WAD and play in the mountains and coast of Maine. If your still there on Sunday when most of us head South to go home I'll stop in and say hi. Island Bob is all the entertainment you could ever need. I hope the sun shines on your big day.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks NE Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    Hi Folks,
    It is our intent as I stated to make our Maine trip on Friday and Saturday for Island Bobs. What I would like to do is set up our round robin flights with Island Bobs 83 miles for lunch and Jim Cranes for Lunch. Now Jim Cranes is 132 miles so J3s are looking at a couple of hours if lucky. There is a ton of airports and the seacoast along the way. One group headed north through the notch over Zincks and up to Jim. The other group direct to the coast up past Bangor along the coast and over to Jim. Here is where we will swap directions.
    We all think the world of Jim but he understands if this is too far. I need some honest feedback so Jim and Brenda can plan. I also thought of making a fast airplane route with lunch at Jim and a slow airplane route with lunch on the coast. Maybe Wiscasset.
    John
    If I can fly 1500 plus miles to see Jim,,, he wont understand it if somebody cant make it. So suck it up and quit complaining its too far, Tim....
    Thanks Flying Miss Daisy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Im happy to provide whatever anyone needs if they come this way. I just know that an early Columbus day weekend means that Andy and I will be still putting our nose to the stone, and only a crappy wx weekend will let us drive to the
    WAD. If the WAD mission control decides to put us as a stop in the flyabout, we have a few options. It could be sorta an open house at my strip, if you are going by, stop in for a lobster roll and say hi. If a whole pack comes at once I can get a school bus to load everyone into for a quick girl scout tour of what we have going, we will still be on full screech harvesting potatoes and putting them away. If you come the night before, you are welcome to stay overnight, we have a couple of extra beds and also the Furlong Suite should be available. My thought was that if I wont be able to see everyone in NH, maybe they could come to see me. Bribed with a lobster roll.

There are a few neat stops around here. Im sure Glenn could lead the pack up to two falls for a visit and a cold swim, Im sure Herman would love it

food for thought

Jim
    Likes FdxLou, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    5 weeks and counting til WAD 2018 - and we can't wait to see you! Remember, if you're not going to camp with your plane... you may want to hustle for another option (please PM). John and Jen have a few rooms in the house but they are saved for those with back problems or our cherished elders that need to not sleep on the ground. If you’re camping with your plane:
    -John will put out a plane parking map when we get closer so we can get lots of planes in an orderly fashion.
    If you're not camping with your plane:
    -campers are welcome – just give John a call for parking instructions for easy in and easy out.
    -Plymouth (20 min drive) is the closest town with a hotel - but it is also a college town so depending on what's going on there, rooms may be tight. Also, keep in mind you’ll want to check into rental cars so you will be able to get back and forth to the WAD at your leasure.
    -There are a scant two airbnb’s - so hustle.
    -Locals often sell their rooms for the event – reach out to John for coordination.
    Likes rickvt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,
    Here are a few Flyout ideas. I separate the flyouts into East and West. Maine to the East and Vermont to the West. This year on Saturday for Noon we are adding George (From Nebraska not George Campbell from Alaska) and Annette are getting married at Island Bobs at August Field NK17 in New York. There is a reception picnic after 11:30 ceremony that flyouts can make for Lunch. 83 flying Miles.

Now I play the weather game on both days as Maine can be different in weather than Vermont.
    Vermont this year is to have a southerly and northern route. Fuel is available to the south at Parlin Field and Moultonboro. South Route can head for a visit over to Tom Fords at NH07 if you partake in Moultonboro or Laconia fuel. Others can use Parlin and then head west over to Mountain Bobs beyond Rutland Valley stopping to see him. We then once again will converge on Basin Harbor for Lunch. After Basin Harbor we fly up Lake Champlain to Allenholm the newest RAF field on South Hero Island and check in at the apple orchards of the Allen family. From there we fly over to Colebrook NH to land on the grass there then over to Errol through Dixfield Notch and then down through Franconia and Back to the WAD. The Northern Route is in reverse stopping at Moutonboro and or Mount Washington airfield for Fuel.

OK Maine flyout is a twist this year. Jim Crane at Fairgrounds Field will host a Lobster Lunch. There is also a tour of the Potato Operation and marketing plan for Frito Lay. Capt. John Gives a great tour headed North over Franconia and headed to Twin Lakes where he heads through Crawford Notch over the Sacco River into Maine. Here those needing fuel can head into Fryeberg at Eastern Slopes. Those that can fly somewhat longer can land at Twitchells for fuel or to rid themselves of morning coffee. You need not stop at either. Then heading Northeast you will pick up the Kennebec River above Central Maine OWK (another good fuel stop) headed for Gaddabout Gaddis in Bingham. There is no Fuel Here. From Gadabout Gaddis we head due east towards Dexter 1B0 where Jim is only a few miles to the northeast at his field. Once we are done with Jim Crane the northern group heads southeast to the cost below Bangor flying along the coast at 1500 feet or less until we are below Portland where we turn west above Biddeford B19(Good fuel stop) towards Windsock Village stop to say hello or fuel at Moutonboro before headed to the WAD.

Now an amended tour due to a late start or slower airplane may take us through the notch above Gorham stopping at Bethel for Fuel off to Gaddabout Gaddis and then straight to Dexter then Jim Cranes. Those headed north while the southern run hits Moultonboro heading east for the coast then up to Jim Cranes.

I have the Maine tour setup for Friday and Vermont on Saturday with George and Annette's wedding in New York. These Can FLIP FLOP for Weather.

Thoughts or complaints?
    John
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, kestrel, JP, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good John. We may have a Beaver tag along this year��
    Likes RaisedByWolves, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All
    please for planning fill out the survey Monkey
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HQFJ2FD

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Survey completed and BBQ money sent, thanks.

Wes
    Wes Schwarz

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Eaton has got my lunch money to send in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I heard Eaton has got my lunch money to send in.

Yours too? He said heís more of an off the beaten path seafood kind of guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I will host you if you wish to come visit me that weekend, but be prepared for Moose Camp!

Jim, wish I could make it down, maybe you would let me run one of your tractors or trucks... take vacation to run other's equipment! Yup.

Just remember all in your planning- nothing is for sure there until the weather gods are done acting; last year was a race back in some fowl weather!

And Tim, lift up them flaps for cruise and get some speed out of her
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Yes, I will host you if you wish to come visit me that weekend, but be prepared for Moose Camp!

Jim, wish I could make it down, maybe you would let me run one of your tractors or trucks... take vacation to run other's equipment! Yup.

Just remember all in your planning- nothing is for sure there until the weather gods are done acting; last year was a race back in some fowl weather!

And Tim, lift up them flaps for cruise and get some speed out of her
    George it is shaping up to be a good one. We will miss you this year. Thanks to those folks who have filled out the survey. Keep them coming.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Folks
    Got a second request about fly camping. Yes this is a fly camping event.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm bring some information for a Quebec/Labrador trip on wheels to show and tell!
    August
    2019 or 2020 trip. A lot closer than going to Alaska! Polar Bears there as well as some great fishing too.

Doug
    Likes Bearhawk Builder, kestrel, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug
    Can you make it available in pdf for those of us not able to be there this year?
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    Doug
    Can you make it available in pdf for those of us not able to be there this year?
    Lou
    Lou

Ill work on that for you and others.

Doug
    Likes Bill.Brine, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug
    Many thanks.
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    We had hoped to have Jake Papp give a little show and tell on the Antarctica trips for the ANG. However a 70th birthday does not allow him to come this year. A thought is to have Doug give us a presentation on Labrador. I also had it in my mind to Have Dr. Randy discuss in depth Basic Med dos and don'ts and Basic Med versus 3rd Class medical what are you giving up.
    Thoughts???
    Likes FdxLou, Colorguns, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We had hoped to have Jake Papp give a little show and tell on the Antarctica trips for the ANG. However a 70th birthday does not allow him to come this year. A thought is to have Doug give us a presentation on Labrador. I also had it in my mind to Have Dr. Randy discuss in depth Basic Med dos and don'ts and Basic Med versus 3rd Class medical what are you giving up.
    Thoughts???
    Wow, Jake is 70 already. It seemed like just yesterday he was sitting in the front of 197T with me learning about flying...
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes SteveE, RaisedByWolves, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anyone coming on amphib floats? I am and will be there pending good weather.

Jim Baker
    Tcraft F21
    Likes cubdriver2, Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    CC Joe has in the past, but haven't heard from him this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Douten came last year on anphibs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,
    Here are a few Flyout ideas....
    Thoughts or complaints?
    John
    John, any chance you might be able to provide lat/long/identifiers for the flyouts in advance? I would like to program them into my gps receiver.

Not a big deal if not able.

Randy
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    John, any chance you might be able to provide lat/long/identifiers for the flyouts in advance? I would like to program them into my gps receiver.

Not a big deal if not able.

Randy
    Listen Lou, for the tenth time, just follow the fickin airplane in front of you

Glenn
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip D View Post
    Douten came last year on anphibs.

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun year. After 71 years we are finally going to put an end to the Cub vs Tcart on floats debate. Both are on Baumanns 1500A

Jim, one of us can act as a translator seeing as its your first time

Glenn

PS. loser buys beer for everyone
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 09-14-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts???

I can do that John. Bring my stuff and more as I get it before the trip to the WAD.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and give me some time Randy and I will get Lat Longs.
    Hey Jim Crane what is your Lat Long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I have been asked about this years Shirt...here it is..
    Name:  Vermont and NH route WAD 2017.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  13.1 KB
    Last edited by Flying Miss Daisy; 09-14-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I have been asked about this years Shirt...here it is..
    Name:  Vermont and NH route WAD 2017.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  13.1 KB
    To see the back you must follow it to the WAD,,,,after you fill out the survey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and give me some time Randy and I will get Lat Longs.
    Hey Jim Crane what is your Lat Long.
    Fairground Field is 44.98N / 69.12W, on my sextant.