Thread: WAD 2018 4-8 October

Post Thanks / Like

Cool WAD 2018 4-8 October

Hi All,
    Well New Holstein is a memory and folks have cleaned their airplane and laundry and decided it was the day to think of the WAD. Within an hour I have been asked about the WAD no less than 4 times so it is time for the thread to begin.

We do have something new this year in that Friday night 5 October we have a paid for Barbecue being put on. It is $20 a head and we will need confirmation ahead of time. You are obligated to pay for this meal rain or shine and we need to impose a cutoff to order. In addition we will have sides and simple meals for the remainder of the weekend. There is a great Pub up in Warren called the Greenhouse that I am checking to see that we can have it for Thursday night arrivals. Could be open mike night.

I am asking for some SJ and Heather to help to get a survey monkey up and going so we can have shirt sizes and what have you available. Stay tuned.

Now I need some immediate information. The new hotel in Plymouth is expensive but nice and only two years old. Some want this luxury. There is also Econolodge and Red Carpet motels in Plymouth. These are what I call salesman and tradesman motels. I can attempt to get a block of let us say 7 rooms for couples. What type of hotel would you consider and can you take it for the 4 nights. I ask this because it is leaf peeper season and rooms are very hard to come by. The issue is Thursday is $99 and Friday and Saturday is $299 for the same room. The expensive hotel is $100 more a night. There is also a few Air BNBs in Wentworth.

That said let the information pour. I forgot George and Annette are getting Married this year during the fly in weekend. Final details for that are being worked out.
    Regards
    John

PICTURES...we need pictures for cups and shirts.
    Regards
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"
    Likes Farmboy, JP, kestrel, Alan185 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, John!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was the second weekend of OCT Good thing you posted this for those that try to plan way ahead. Oooops still see you there.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie and I are coming! Would you provide info regarding hotels? The Fairfield Inn is full!

Randy
    Likes windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorguns View Post
    I thought it was the second weekend of OCT Good thing you posted this for those that try to plan way ahead. Oooops still see you there.

Doug
    Columbus day is early this year

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I am more than happy to help in any way I can. Can't wait to see the whole gang again. Did I read that right that George is getting married? Is it going to happen at the WAD? Congrats George. Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Jen - the links below are to a couple of albums for the last two times I've been able to attend. Feel free (actually, all of you) to run through them and use anything you'd like. If anyone wants a higher resolution copy, just send me a note. Looking forward to seeing everyone this year.

https://goo.gl/photos/LqY6VUV5czNqpygg8
    https://goo.gl/photos/UEP8qkeJPb9PSWF98

Ken Cornell
    Likes 40m, NorthcountryPilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I tell Lyn about the wedding? Not sure how she will take it... and what about my WAD Babes that I took out last year? Do I get to keep them?

Ok, for serious- after some careful consideration and discussion with Lyn, I am making an early decision to remain home this October.

Our second fish window begins right at that time, and I only have three 6 week periods to complete my contract- and we have a big hangar project happening; I must act a bit like an adult this year

However, I will send some pictures ASAP, and if I can help in any way let me know!

Put me down for 2019!

George
    (the one already married)
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    i must act a bit like an adult this year
    George
    boo hiss!
    Likes WindOnHisNose, aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Should I tell Lyn about the wedding? Not sure how she will take it... and what about my WAD Babes that I took out last year? Do I get to keep them?

Ok, for serious- after some careful consideration and discussion with Lyn, I am making an early decision to remain home this October.

Our second fish window begins right at that time, and I only have three 6 week periods to complete my contract- and we have a big hangar project happening; I must act a bit like an adult this year

However, I will send some pictures ASAP, and if I can help in any way let me know!

Put me down for 2019!

George
    (the one already married)

Good,,,,, Linda wont have to hide....

Post Thanks / Like
    Laura and I are coming. Happy to help with anything you need. I know Bob and Dianna are planning to come and were asking about the hotel this year too. I think it was in the $125 range last year and if you can negotiate something close to that we'll book three nights each. Hard to do during leaf season but let us know or we'll start looking. Thanks as always for doing this John and Jen!!
    I'll bring another keg of Long Trail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Good,,,,, Linda wont have to hide me....
    But she can come up here and enjoy our views.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, contact me tomorrow. Err, today. Later. After the sun is up for awhile.
    Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Please call Peter Brown.
    Thanks John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    So what do you do when you have a few moments and you're dreaming about flying? Look back a few years on supercub.org and run across older threads. 2006 seems to be the WAD birthdate...

2006 - Tim lands at the WAD.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...Shoots-the-WAD

2006 - Tom Ford get's his PPL.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...-it-s-official

2006 - JP actually left Maine.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...-State-O-Maine

On a side note related to JP, one of the more humorous posts in 2008 was when Steve Pierce was nearly struck by lightning.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...thout-Internet

Ahhhh, flightless Sundays.... Okay Back to work!
    Name:  BacktoWork.png
Views: 271
Size:  65.2 KB
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at those old threads was fun. How do I get an avitar like Lawn Darts?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blast. I am in trouble, no doubt.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on good authority that there are three rooms available in Rumney on hold until tomorrow, 15mins up the road, at The Little House Inn and Hostel (603-238-7503) - ask for Shawna. They are on reserve under George Richmond & Annette Waldie. There are precious few places to stay locally so I thought I'd share. Silver Maple Lodge (800-666-1946) in Fairlee also had some rooms - this one is a 25 minute drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are starting our flight planning. George and Annette are getting Married at Island Bobs on Saturday. We will do our best to make this our lunch stop. So it appears Maine on Friday.
    Likes FdxLou, Farmboy, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WAD 2018 4-8 October

If anyone is looking for beds to sleep in, I have rented a BnB around the corner on Stinson lake for the entire event. Couple of queens and some bunk beds, if anyone wants to share the costs feel free to contact me.

Peter
    Last edited by Farmboy; 08-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    We are starting our flight planning. George and Annette are getting Married at Island Bobs on Saturday. We will do our best to make this our lunch stop. So it appears Maine on Friday.
    John
    Since it appears that I dont posess the power to change Columbus Day weekend to later in the month, looks like I will prob be a no show this year as well.
    I would pitch to you to make your first stop on friday at my strip in Exeter for lunch, all you can eat lobster rolls in the hangar. Maybe watch the harvester running, then chase the coast from Belfast down to Richmond Island, Spurwink, stop in say hi to Phineas, than back to WAD. Ill let you work out the details. Long leg for a J3 up here. Its usually close to 1.8 in the Carbon Cub

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    John
    Since it appears that I dont posess the power to change Columbus Day weekend to later in the month, looks like I will prob be a no show this year as well.
    I would pitch to you to make your first stop on friday at my strip in Exeter for lunch, all you can eat lobster rolls in the hangar. Maybe watch the harvester running, then chase the coast from Belfast down to Richmond Island, Spurwink, stop in say hi to Phineas, than back to WAD. Ill let you work out the details. Long leg for a J3 up here. Its usually close to 1.8 in the Carbon Cub

Jim
    Jim, Linda and I plan on coming up again this year for another tour... with a buddy and his wife in tow. Not sure which day, maybe come with the crowd if they head your way.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Jim, Linda and I plan on coming up again this year for another tour... with a buddy and his wife in tow. Not sure which day, maybe come with the crowd if they head your way.
    Steve
    Steve tell Linda to wear the same perfume as last year, please

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    If anyone is looking for beds to sleep in, I have rented a BnB around the corner on Stinson lake for the entire event. Couple of queens and some bunk beds, if anyone wants to share the costs feel free to contact me.

Peter
    Availability - I'm down to one double bed, 1 single and a maybe a couch, for those contemplating.

Peter
    Thanks Bill.Brine thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All, my wife and I are working up here in the NE PA and looking for fly ins and such, ran across this thread and was wondering if it is open to everyone or is it private? Sounds like fun meeting new people and seeing this part of the country during that time of year from the plane, never been to NH or New England area for that matter. Thanks, Wes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wes, Iím not the guy to answer that, but i expect they will say itís open to all taildragger pilots (well, until it starts getting over capacity probably) that like to fly. Itís very much a fly-out event and we have a good time.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Availability - I'm down to one double bed, 1 single and a maybe a couch, for those contemplating.

Peter
    BnB is now full, thanks.
    Might be dock space, not sure yet.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone