• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oshkosh winning Super Cub

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
I've been back just a few days from Airventure; didn't see this posted but may have missed it. Nice to see a Super Cub taking top honors at Airventure 2018!
Marty

IMG_6188.jpg IMG_6186.jpg IMG_6189.jpg IMG_6184.jpg
IMG_6192.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_6184.jpg
    IMG_6184.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 324
It's a beautiful airplane. I'm not sure exactly how the judging is done, but I see non original wheels and brakes, non original tires, a non original boot cowl, and a non original baggage door. I'm not belittling the airplane, it is a beautiful job, I just thought that judging was based on originality.

I chatted with the gentleman who did the rebuild (owner's brother I think); he was surprised some also about the mods he made to the aircraft. There are minus points assigned in the judging/scoring sheet that address some of the changes the re-builder did on the aircraft that are not original. It comes down to total points for the aircraft based on all the categories. Nice to see that he kept the feeder hatch for spraying. Very nice overall aircraft.
Marty

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMIZED

Class I Single Engine (0-160 hp) - Bronze Lindy
Marr Olsen
Kelseyville, California
1959 Piper PA-18A-150, N9460D

Ya, I like the feeded hatch too. Someday, someone will show up with a full fledged PA-18A with a tank and spray booms. Looks like he also did a beautiful job on paint scheme too.

Marrt Clupper is the one that rebuilt this gem for his brother in California, Marr. I think Marrt goes by “Airpigz”(?) on here. If the A model looks familiar it’s because he did an abbreviated build log on it in one of the threads. I had the pleasure to camp close to them at OSH. Neat plane. I recognized it from the thread. Marrt did an outstanding job on it and was appropriately awarded the contemporary Lindy.....I’m sure there’s some basket case cubs out there needing rebuilt:p Marrt would be a good one to get ahold of.

I looked at a 1957 A-model the other day that has 1200hrs and original cotton fabric from the factory, booms were there too. Cool to see a time capsule like that and in very nice shap for the age.
That's really cool! Is it still used for spraying?

Never did run into Mart t OSH but looked the airplane over. Was curious about the paint, wasn't the usual Stewarts Poly shine and wondered if that was done purposely and how.

It's a beautiful airplane. I'm not sure exactly how the judging is done, but I see non original wheels and brakes, non original tires, a non original boot cowl, and a non original baggage door. I'm not belittling the airplane, it is a beautiful job, I just thought that judging was based on originality.

baggage door came standard on an A model so that wasn't a mod.

Never did run into Mart t OSH but looked the airplane over. Was curious about the paint, wasn't the usual Stewarts Poly shine and wondered if that was done purposely and how.
He told me he dulled it on purpose, but that was two weeks ago and i can't remember how he said he accomplished it.

Marrt used the flatterer additive we have available for the paint. He wanted the look of the original paint rather than the full gloss; I really liked the finish he achieved. Nicely done.
Marty

Here's the link to the thread I posted of the restoration process: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?51227-N9460D-A-model-Super-Cub

It is covered with Stewart Systems, and I added the maximum recommended flattener to the EkoPoly paint to get a nice satin finish. It doesn't actually make the paint 'flat', it just knocks the gloss way down..

'A' model Super Cubs do have a battery door that gives some accesss to the baggage area, but it's actually a pretty small door. I put the STC on for the oversize baggage door.

I did all the work myself in Indiana but the airplane is owned by my half-brother Marr Olsen in California. He isn't a licensed pilot yet (tho he did solo a Citabria 40 years ago) so he'll be using the airplane to get his Private. He rode with me from OSH to California, leaving OSH on Sunday the 29th of July and we arrived in Petaluma California Thrusday August 2nd after 25 hours of flying. It was my first mountain flying experience and it all went great. I followed I-80 and never had to get any higher than 9,500msl, and that was to get over a ridge going into Laramie Wyoming. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we stopped by about noon to stay out of the heat and winds in the mountains.

We were running right at 1,900 pounds when full of fuel (I also installed the Wip 2,000# upgrade) and the ole girl did just fine with the 150hp O-320, even at 9.000' DA. The only hard part was leaving her behind when I left to go home to Indiana.

Big Wing.jpg

Martt Clupper
Open Door Flying LLC
574-551-9692
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D
1959 PA-18A

Attachments

• Big Wing.jpg
    Big Wing.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 180
You will never forget the N number
You may forget the kids birthday but not that. (If your anything like me)

Back