• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sturgis 2018

Cub Special Ed

MT/SD
No fancy aviation posts here sorry. I was coming back from the forest near Ekalaka, Mt yesterday and saw a sight I hope to quit seeing. My family was also with me this time.
Parts of a tricycle in between Sd and Mt, in Wy (hwy 212), were laying on the highway. As we proceeded passed the trike and suv, there was a covered body. Ive seen this before but a first time for my family. You folks be careful! Look way out in front as we do in aircraft, not the end of the hood, cowl, or fender. The slower you go the more time you have to react. Keep yourself visable and leave space between you and the person in front. If you come up against an eratic driver or a vehicle thats been in some scrapes, give them lots of room! When its our time, its our time, but why rush it?
This looked like an suv pulled on to hwy 212 and the trike collided with it. Could be the trike was going too fast to stop or wasnt looking ahead, and could be the suv was distracted and/or didnt see the trike, or probably a combination of both, for some reasons or another. I have nothing but sympothy for the somber looking highway patrol officers who had to deal with that situation.
Be safe out there if your in the Sturgis area. But the fact is these principals apply to all of our daily endevours.

Was driving up US Hwy 101 up the coast of California years ago came up on a motorcylce that took a corner at the same time as a 4 wheel drive did from the opposite direction. One of them crossed the centerline. Same scene you saw. Lost a couple of close friends on motorcyles. Forever Free by W.A.S.P. comes to mind.

Music to drink my morning coffee with!
Think I need to grow my hair long.....

Lou

Just back from a few days fishing in and around the NE corner of Yellowstone and it was amazing how many morotcycles and trikes were in the area (neat thing about the park, no “hoodlum pipes” allowed, all were muffled) unfortunately we saw two that were scattered about and appeared to have bumped each other in a curve. Caught myself thinking it would be a neat way to see the park, provided you like getting rained and hailed on that is.

My wife's uncle died riding a bike to Sturgis last week.. He was behind another vehicle and a semi truck driver rear ended him and the car in front of him..

Have to ride offensively these days... Other drivers just don't pay attention anymore.

Brian

My wife's uncle died riding a bike to Sturgis last week.. He was behind another vehicle and a semi truck driver rear ended him and the car in front of him..

Have to ride offensively these days... Other drivers just don't pay attention anymore.

Brian

Sorry to hear. You’re right about riding offensively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been riding since 1965(Honda S90). I could hardly manage it on a S90 but ever since I got a capable machine I've practiced what I call,

"Offensive Defensive Riding". Try to explain to a non rider or the average guy with his head up his butt and you get a blank stare but the rest of us understand. (Little if any defense for getting rear ended although I did get out of the way once)

BTW, I had two people try to kill me yesterday in about 20 min........

Jack

Best book on the subject of motorcycle safety/riding (much can also be applied to airplanes) is a book called "Stayin' Safe" by the late Larry Grodsky. Amazon Link

He had a great matter of fact straight-forward style that appealed to me when I was a very young rider (he wrote for Rider magazine among others). I read this book again about ten years ago.

sj

P.S. Larry was killed at night by I believe a deer which ran out in front of him. Like aviation, there are some situations that involve more risk and are hard to prep for.

Lots of deer here. I simply quit riding evenings/night, if I get caught out I really slow down. I have a friend who hit one on his R1, broken shoulder wrecked bike. He repaired the bike and painted it flat black/rattle can(easier to fix-touch-up). It was almost 6 months later when he made his next ride. Another little doe ran in front of him that he couldn't avoid. He was going about 60 and decided to "rip" it, put his head down and cut her in half at about 80 mph? It stuffed the front end but wheel didn't go into radiator and he maintained control. He called his dad, told him to bring the truck and handle bar strap.......New font end and another rattle can-good to go

I’m sure everyone has some sort of story so in the interest of public safety, here’s mine. Back in ‘73 I was riding a Honda 750 late at night going from college to home. I spotted a coyote right in the middle of the two lane road I was on. He didn’t seem to be too excited about me coming down the road at 60mph. So I thought it would be a good idea to kick the crap out of him as I went by. He was standing there, ass to me, target in sight! Locked and ready, I stuck out my left leg, and WHAM! Perfect strike! ROLLED HIM! I saw him roll because in the split second after I kicked him I was standing on the right peg looking backwards. My left leg was spun around and was now on the right side of the bike, still doing 60. I was very fortunate I didn’t get a serious case of road rash. This is probably the reason I take out my frustrations on hundreds of coyotes. They tried to kill me, if he wasn’t there, I wouldn’t have stuck out my leg. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scary stories. Those bikes scare me. I will have to say the coyote story takes the cake. Lucky you didnt end up with a fir boot and a broken leg Steve!

….I thought it would be a good idea to kick the crap out of him as I went by. He was standing there, ass to me, target in sight! Locked and ready, I stuck out my left leg, and WHAM! Perfect strike! ROLLED HIM! ….

I used to be a Harley rider in my younger days (1977-1990).
Besides breaking the crap out of my leg by rear-ending a car when riding aggressively,
I also broke the same leg (lower instead of upper) by hitting a damn dog riding home one night after dark.
Surprised you didn't suffer the same fate when you kicked ol' Wiley E.

I knew a number of people who had cars hit them, typically it was "I didn't see the motorcycle".
You learn to ride defensively.
I do think "wig-wag" type flashing headlights can't help but increase visibility to others.
Two sayings from them old days, probably more bluster than truth:
"The cars can't hit you if you go faster than them"
and
"loud pipes save lives".

Its all about managed risk. If I was wanting the absolute safest way through life I wouldn't pick motorcycles, cars, airplanes, fast boats, skydiving, any kind of racing and any racy women. Everybody has those grim stories, its always a personal decision on the level of adrenaline you seek.

on a more serious side---please say a prayer for Alex Muth who is in a coma at Rapid City after a crash on the half mile dirt track there on Tuesday. My former employers grandson.

0810181325.jpg
If your around the black hills this weekend there is a b-25 at spearfish untill sunday. A picture of my daughter Piper next to it. I was lucky enough to be there when it fired up and took off. I was Piper's age last time I herd a radial. Only words i can come up with is the man grunt from Tim "the tool man" Taylor.

Attachments

• 0810181325.jpg
    0810181325.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 217
I was going down the interstate yesterday in my fuel truck passing a car when a wingnut on a motorcycle passed between us. Guys like him give all bikers a bad rep. On the light side I had a bike pass me and as they were going by the chick on the back bared it all.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Sadly Sturgis Rally 2018 has claimed another. Received a phone call this A.M., that still has me stunned. Alec Muth (yes I spelled his name wrong in the earlier post) passed away at a Rapid City hospital from head injuries sustained at the flat track motorcycle races there on Tuesday the 7th. 22 years young and an only child--please pray for the family. Alec was a well respected volunteer fireman and was looking forward to becoming an E.M.T. I've been a close friend of this Harley-Davidson dealer family for more than 50 years. I know there are some other Cub drivers on this sight who also are friends of this well respected family.---geezer Dan

My condolences to those hurt and killed in motorcycle accidents.
Our community lost a fine young man to a deer/motorcycle collision after dark a number of years ago.
But for stupid luck, I and a friend might have became a statistic in our motorcycle driving days.
We were tooling along about 80 and saw a large jackrabbit loping along in the roadway.
When we got up close to it, it jumped straight up like a jack-in-a-box and would have took our heads off if he hadn't jumped higher than us.
I have seen them do that since, too...usually when the shadow of the aircraft overtakes them.

Back