• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another insurance question - teach your kids?

bob turner

I know the normal answer is just add them to the paperwork, but we have a question for a partnership setup. One potential partner wants to teach his kids to fly. Four partners already, but of course he maintains that no charge will be made, so it ought to be easy.

Aside from the liability for the other three partners, this sounds complicated from an insurance standpoint. I bother my agent way too much considering his commission, so I thought I'd see what you guys think?

no matter what we think, your underwriter is the one with answers.

have the kids become part owners.

So that's what I did. As I expected, my broker said such an arrangement would either be looked upon as a "flying club" or as a commercial rental deal.

Premiums for such things start at triple what we pay for flying our own Cubs, and go up from there. We were looking at around $450/mo. for a J-3 in a flying club. That's over five grand a year!

If they progress quickly, with some policies you can adjust when they get their certificates. I know you can with AVEMCO anyway.

From my experience there were two areas to think about, first and foremost is there a policy limitation preventing instruction? and second listing the kids and their instructor as named insured worked for me. Talk with the agent, who is hopefully a good agent...

Named insured is as good as it gets, but my understanding is that you have to be on the title to get that. Additional insured is probably as good, but you do not have to be an owner.

Most pilots, and most agents, think that being "named" covers the namee. It clearly covers the named insured when the "named" pilot is flying. It only covers the namee if the policy says so - otherwise it is the same coverage as an open pilot warranty.

Most of that is irrlevant to my initial query, which had to do with a four owner Cub partnership, where one of the partners teaches his kids for free. It sounds innocuous, but this one is a setup for an uninsured event. My broker says it would probably fall under a "flying club" or commercial policy.

I only care because I do ground instruction for a group of well-heeled aircraft owners, and feel an obligation to inform them that aviation insurance has serious technical flaws.

I carry full liability on my own airplanes. I carry a separate CFI policy that costs over twice as much. The minute I instruct in one of my own aircraft, both policies stop covering me. That includes instructing my wife!

We spend a thousand dollars a year to protect the owner of our instructional J-3. I instruct, and the owner (not me) is covered. Dual only. And only me! And my broker assures me it is seriously under market.

Most folks just get in their airplane and instruct, assuming all is well. It isn't.

Opinion.

Back