• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing out PA-12 bungee cords

ddavenport

Fayetteville, NC
I’m in the middle of an extended annual and need some help. I need to do my periodic replacement of my bungees and my normal source of expertise and tooling has retired and moved to Florida. Any ideas as to how to safely get them swapped out? Any help would be appreciated.

Under the resources tab on Univair’s website you will find a link to service bulletins and other hints and tips pertaining to the PA-12. Look far enough and you can find instructions on shock cord replacement. Clyde has instructions in an old Cub Clues for building the tool. IMO building the tool to pivot on the bend and the hook for the new cord on the end works more conveniently. Support the airplane, sit in the back seat to pull down on the tool and the cord up on the hook in front of the truss. When you see the tool plans it may be somewhat clear.

I have the above mentioned cub clues tool I would gladly loan out if you pay freight, it doesn't make it easy but it works. The last set i did I used the tool and I tied the plane to the floor (or a ramp tie down hub), and stretched the bungles with a webbing strap on an engine puller and used the tool and some silicon lube to slip the bungles in place. If you don't anchor the plane to the ground the engine puller just lifts the plane

I have used a modified version of Clyde’s tool on two bungee change outs. I thought it went well. Move the tool pivot point to the bend in the tool and the hook to the short end. Man A sits in the back seat and pivots the tool up and towards the panel with the hook on the front side of the truss. Hook the bungee on the back side, under and then to the hook. Pull down on the tool and Man B finagles the bungee in place. Fairly easy to hold down against the bungee when the geometry is correct. Not so easy to push up against the bungee as the tool is designed. IMO, Jim

I used a 1970's General Motors bumper jack modified for a stock PA12 according to an article in an old Club Clues. I used 3/8 rod to make a hook and it straightened out on the very first bungee. 1280HDs are tough! Switched to 1/4 inch rope instead of the hook and I thought I was dead when the rope broke on the third bungee but nothing got hurt. Double loops held up for the left three bungees but even that was near failing on the last one. You can't use enough lube on the third bungee on each side. We resorted to slipping strips of plastic bag material into critical spots to get more slippery effect. I have no desire to do this again.

I tackled this project a couple of years ago. I couldn’t find the tool I was told was out there and even after, I really haven’t figured how it would work. I ended up using 2 engine hoists. One to support the wing, (it had a closed foam pad on a frame that would swivel both pitch and roll) and the other stuck through the door to the bungees. Ended up using a tape they use in pulling wire through conduit to lift with (2500# rated). We got it done, but don’t know if I would do it again. You can’t believe how much force it takes to stretch and position them. You could get hurt easily.
DSCN4353.jpgDSCN4355.jpgDSCN4358.jpgDSCN4359.jpgDSCN4354.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4354.jpg
    DSCN4354.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 926
  • DSCN4353.jpg
    DSCN4353.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCN4355.jpg
    DSCN4355.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 729
  • DSCN4358.jpg
    DSCN4358.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN4359.jpg
    DSCN4359.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 380
I tackled this project a couple of years ago. I couldn’t find the tool I was told was out there and even after, I really haven’t figured how it would work. I ended up using 2 engine hoists. One to support the wing, (it had a closed foam pad on a frame that would swivel both pitch and roll) and the other stuck through the door to the bungees. Ended up using a tape they use in pulling wire through conduit to lift with (2500# rated). We got it done, but don’t know if I would do it again. You can’t believe how much force it takes to stretch and position them. You could get hurt easily.
View attachment 38395View attachment 38396View attachment 38397View attachment 38398View attachment 38394
A very graphic reason for installing PA-18 gear on a -12.

I've never had to do this on my 12 however it makes me wonder.
1. How much does it cost to have a mechanic perform the change and how often should it be done?
2. I've heard switching to pa-18 gear kills speed. What is the fastest and lightest better great option for a certified pa-12?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes, the -18 gear does cost some speed. I converted to -18 gear on my -12, and think if I had it to do over I'd probably stick with the stock -12 gear arrangement.

I made a tool to change out bungees with the stock gear and it wasn't hard to use. Pull wheels together with rope and spanish windlass, cut bungees off of one side, and stretch new ones on. Then cut off and replace the other side. One man job. More time tying the wheels together and removing the gear fairings and seat than doing the bungees.

I don't have the tool anymore though.

Last edited:
It's a couple hour job for a couple people, not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Especially since you only need to do it every 10 years or so, at least the way I fly.

The only reason I can see to switch to 18 gear is if you are on floats or landing in places I don't go.

I also prefer the way 12 gear lands compared to 18 gear, oh so smooth....

Changing Bungees not so bad

Yes, the -18 gear does cost some speed. I converted to -18 gear on my -12, and think if I had it to do over I'd probably stick with the stock -12 gear arrangement.

I made a tool to change out bungees with the stock gear and it wasn't hard to use. Pull wheels together with rope and spanish windlass, cut bungees off of one side, and stretch new ones on. Then cut off and replace the other side. One man job. More time tying the wheels together and removing the gear fairings and seat than doing the bungees.

I don't have the tool anymore though.

I’d like to echo Gordon’s remarks. I bought my Super Cruiser three years ago, and was overly anxious about changing bungees. After talking with an old time IA who rebuilds Cubs for a living, he confirmed Gordon’s method is the simplest and safest. You don’t want to be messing with screwdrivers or anything that could turn into a projectile from a snapped or popped bungee. The same IA welded a bungee tool out of 1” square tubing that made it really simple to stretch the bungees over the upper keepers after feeding both ends up through the belly.

The whole job took maybe two hours total, most of which was prep (removing front seat, access panels, ratchet strapping the wheels to relieve bungees, and cutting the old bungees - nothing to be afraid of, just take a box cutter or knife and gently slice - it may snap just a bit, depending on how worn it is, but nowhere near explosive as I expected - I wouldn’t suggest trying to hold a razor blade by your fingers and cutting one though!). We did have to spend about 20-30 min rewelding the tool a few times to get the correct angles needed to retain the bungee on the tool until over “top dead center,” so to speak. Here’s some photos showing the tool and how it was used. You can see where there are several holes drilled to obtain the right stretch for each bungee, depending on how many you use (I only installed two 1280HDs per gear, and think three would have been way too stiff for my purposes). Note that we also used vice grips to prevent the tool from moving left or right on the gear truss as it was rotated up and forward to gradually stretch the bungee up and sliding it over the keeper. I’ll make detailed measurements of lengths and angles of the tool and post them along with more photos. Next time will be a piece of cake after having done it under the tutelage of an experienced IA! Thanks again Gordon, for your advice and the other bungee tool you sent me.

Shane

Attachments

• BCF84229-983D-4DF8-A377-5CEFF7EB30C6.jpeg
    BCF84229-983D-4DF8-A377-5CEFF7EB30C6.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 639
  • E59CEE64-53E4-4134-A261-178210556E8D.jpeg
    E59CEE64-53E4-4134-A261-178210556E8D.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 540
  • D1BE219C-DD3F-4B8D-B717-F2102D6B31A6.jpeg
    D1BE219C-DD3F-4B8D-B717-F2102D6B31A6.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 616
This is a bungee too I got for installing bungees on a Pitts.
no more holes in the ceiling, missing teeth etc..
so easy it takes all the fun out of it.
im thinking it would work on a PA18, not familiar with 12 set up but judging from photos think it would.
”T” handle can be replaced with a nut for more clearance if needed .

B601F8F6-403B-4273-8434-1E7448011242.jpg

Attachments

• B601F8F6-403B-4273-8434-1E7448011242.jpg
    B601F8F6-403B-4273-8434-1E7448011242.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Last month had to help a friend, new -12 owner, change bungees on standard -12 gear.

We built the Piper tool based upon their instructions for a -12 tool, except you’ll see we used/had 2 inch flat stock, since he had it.

Hoisted the airplane by the engine mount and installed all 3 bungees on each side. Took more effort on each of the last ones, but it was not bad at all.

IMG_1042.JPGIMG_1043.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 472
Recently replaced my 12 bungees with the ACS type tool. Was very easy. Lube with tire talc or bees wax where they slide over on the bottom. Less than an hour for the install with the access disassembly done. Do not sweat it.

GM

Great info on this thread guys. I am a little confused though about which cords and how many per side. My airplane has 3 per side currently, how do you know which cords were used? Is there a chart? Is the 1280HD the only acceptable cord?
I found a chart in Spruce catalog, it lists 1280HD requirement as 4. Are regular 1280s not acceptable for PA-12's?

When you cross reference the original Piper part number from the PA-12 parts manual to the Univair part number it is 6- 1280s (not 1280HD). 6 -1280s is what we installed on his -12 back in March, worked just fine.

The PA-12 Parts Catalog can be found online on the Univair website.

Great info on this thread guys. I am a little confused though about which cords and how many per side. My airplane has 3 per side currently, how do you know which cords were used? Is there a chart? Is the 1280HD the only acceptable cord?
I found a chart in Spruce catalog, it lists 1280HD requirement as 4. Are regular 1280s not acceptable for PA-12's?

That chart shows 4 or 6 depending on how stiff you want your suspension. As far as I could find, the 1280HDs are the only ones authorized. I had 3 per side but since I’m not landing out in the boonies, I decided to install only 2 per side and I thinks that’s plenty! Suggest you try that as you can always add a another if you want.

Good luck!

Thank you both for your quick responses. So Univair says regular 1280's and Spruce says HDs, lol. Do you guys know how to determine what is on the airplane? How do you distinguish between regular and HD? I had no issue with how the airplane handles, so I'd like to jsut keep it the same. Here is a photo of what is on there now

Attachments

• IMG_0942(1).jpg
    IMG_0942(1).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Thank you both for your quick responses. So Univair says regular 1280's and Spruce says HDs, lol. Do you guys know how to determine what is on the airplane? How do you distinguish between regular and HD? I had no issue with how the airplane handles, so I'd like to jsut keep it the same. Here is a photo of what is on there now

Should be identified in your logs, since they're both the same dimensions. How long have your current cords been on, and were they already installed when you bought your PA-12? Reason I ask is because mine were already on and I had no issues with how they felt either, and only realized how soft they were after changing them. You may be surprised how stiff 6 cords are, unless you’ve flown one with new cords?

At Lodge we have a saying " knowledge is the secret of the unscholered mind".
It is very obvious from this thread, and all the other ones on this subject over the years. That very very few folks, actually know how to do these correctly.
The amount of highly modified levers, contraptions, and gizzmos that have been
tryed; is mind boggling. Quite interesting how many different ways it has actually been accomplished, from innovative minds! In late years it has become the accepted standard to simply cut brand new ones off instead of simply removing them.
Or as Mike suggests to avoid changing them in Alaska, they usually throw the whole gear away! And replace it with 18 gear to the tune of $3/4000 bucks.
Guess there will always be a hundred different ways to skin the same cat!
Keep up the good work, it's always an interesting subject the old PA 12 bungee
drama.
E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have a friend who tore the side of face open installing PA12 bungees with a pry bar. Like I said in an earlier post, the install is easy and as safe as can be with the correct bungee tool. Less than an hours work.

Now I have a question with much controversy. How many of which bungee on the PA12?

I have/had x6 new 1280HD's, IAW Piper SM#12 and Air Craft Spruce, on the o290 12 I am rebuilding. They were very stiff compared to the old bungees. I liked them, but they did not absorb much.

Just ordered x6 1280s, IAW the Piper parts manual and Univair parts catalog, on the our presently flying stockish PA12. It has x4 nine year old, unknown part#, bungees. They are very soft and sagging with full fuel, with no one in the plane, and wallow around when taxing.

Will inform how they feel.

GM

rv8drvr - I called Clyde Smith when I did mine, he told me they came with 3 1280 HD's on each side. I have a bungee tool made per Clyde's details in Cub Clues that I don't need any more, anyone looking for one PM me or reply to this thread.

Bungee Tool

It look like the tool in question has already be requested. I would also like it, but would really just appreciate a few decent pics & measurement or the instructions for building that you mentioned as I've not found them. and there seems to be a large variety of thoughts on ways to do it.

Doc

Hi all,
I'm looking to have this done in a couple months. It's one thing I definitely want to have done by a shop rather than experiment on my own with Dad.
1. Does anybody know any shops in Idaho or Eastern Oregon/Washington that is capable and would have the time?
2. I'm planning on using these based on the parts manual from Univair. Any real reason to go to HD's? I do light backcountry, but mostly tooling around pavement to pavement.
U31322-000 UNIVAIR SHOCK CORD - Univair Aircraft Corporation

"Does anybody know any shops in Idaho or Eastern Oregon/Washington that is capable and would have the time?"

Just mail the hydrosorbs to Cub Crafters in Yakima or Univaire in Colorado. Tell them what you want done. Turnaround is about 2 days.

Blue maxx aviation in Nampa recently changed my pa18 bungees.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back