Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine woes

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll pull the mags and look them over, the engine has a weird history, overhauled in 2000 then 250hrs later in 2008 overhauled again and then 600 hrs later overhauled in 2014 all done by the same person not so sure it's what I would call a major overhaul but that's what listed. Talked with the owner and since it leaks oil worse than a radial and covering his new restoration in oil thinking we'll pull the engine and have my engine guy have a look inside and seal the leaks too. I'll set the e-gap 1st just to see if that's the issue it's easy to do but unfortunately this engine may have to be split.
    Thanks windy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The mag drop is not an exact number, real hard to tell on an old shaky AC tach but it seems close to normal and didn't really catch my eye as a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some of the same symptoms. Turned out that the cylinder that was a little low was cracked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by upda lk View Post
    I had some of the same symptoms. Turned out that the cylinder that was a little low was cracked.
    Don't have any low cylinders but I'll look it over again.

Its 64* degrees this morning think I'll go fly to make sure heat is out of the equation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    I'll pull the mags and look them over, the engine has a weird history, overhauled in 2000 then 250hrs later in 2008 overhauled again and then 600 hrs later overhauled in 2014 all done by the same person not so sure it's what I would call a major overhaul but that's what listed. Talked with the owner and since it leaks oil worse than a radial and covering his new restoration in oil thinking we'll pull the engine and have my engine guy have a look inside and seal the leaks too. I'll set the e-gap 1st just to see if that's the issue it's easy to do but unfortunately this engine may have to be split.
    Yikes !
    Every time you make a post you give us some other symptoms of trouble. Multiple low time "overhauls"? Leaks like a radial? What is the origin of the oil leaks? Unless it is coming from the crankcase parting surface you may be able to not split the case. However, was the "overhauler" just a nice incompetent guy or a smooth talking charlatan?

When you get this all ironed out with the problems all solved, Make certain that you tell us what happened.

Wash the engine down clean. Then fly it once around the pattern. Look for the leak. It "could" be just one place making a big mess. I'm trying to look at the bright side.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Yikes !
    Every time you make a post you give us some other symptoms of trouble. Multiple low time "overhauls"? Leaks like a radial? What is the origin of the oil leaks? Unless it is coming from the crankcase parting surface you may be able to not split the case. However, was the "overhauler" just a nice incompetent guy or a smooth talking charlatan?

When you get this all ironed out with the problems all solved, Make certain that you tell us what happened.

Wash the engine down clean. Then fly it once around the pattern. Look for the leak. It "could" be just one place making a big mess. I'm trying to look at the bright side.
    I have no idea who the guy that overhauled the engine is but it looks like 200 to 600 tbo are what he strides for. I've got most of the leaks figured out and some will require disassembly.

I flew the plane again today, 62* Fahrenheit 900' field elevation, my carb and airbox/filter that is known to work, did a mag check at 1800rpm less than 100rpm drop and identical drop between left and right mags. Engine starts great plugs have 2.5 hrs since clean/gap. Have not had it diesel on me since I changed the original carb so don't really know if that's part or the equation or not. It's possible to have an e-gap problem but I won't know until I dig into it. Engine is still doing its thing in the low temp so I don't think it's heat issue. Can't be a carb airbox/filter, no primer and exhaust looks good thinking it's time to look inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also engine made more RPM's leaning today but never really smoothed out before it got to lean like it has in the past.
    im done flying behind this engine until is solved.
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the cam is a tooth off.. I don't even know what happens when one does that, but with the overhaul described, it sure seems possible..
    Thanks windy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	38334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1849.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	38335Here's its radial like behavior after 2.4hrs, both the lower cowl and boot cowl are new and well lubricated now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 46 Cub View Post
    I wonder if the cam is a tooth off.. I don't even know what happens when one does that, but with the overhaul described, it sure seems possible..
    Starting to think it has to be somthing internal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why a 60" prop on a Super Cub? Was scary on my Pacer with way less drag and can't imagine on a Super Cub. From what I have read you are not meeting rpm per TCDS. I'd put the right prop on and try that before I went to tearing into other things.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks PerryB, STaylor2 thanked for this post
    Likes sjohnson, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a 310 like that once! Post flight included a rag for wiping oily mess off gear doors. Case halfs were leaking on both engines. I just carried a case of oil in the cargo compartment.
    I think your decision to not fly it anymore is a wise one. Check the timing and gears as already mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Why a 60" prop on a Super Cub? Was scary on my Pacer with way less drag and can't imagine on a Super Cub. ….
    I tried the specified 74x58 prop on my old C150/150TD and it turned it into a dog.
    The 52 that came on it was too flat.
    I ended up with one at about 54-1/2 and it was just right.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought if it has bendix mags make sure the cam in the mag is for the right rotation. If itís upside down it will not run right

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Engine woes

Had a freshly overhauled O360 with a history similar to yours. Carb went back to overhaul shop twice with no improvement. Finally got around to sending freshly overhauled Slick mags back. EGap was way off. Started better, leaned to smoothness better, EGT and CHTís more uniform in cruise with less fuel burn. The run up was in spec with bad mag. After mag change made about 75 to 100 better static. Didnít get to the mag solution until we did pretty much everything you listed. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org