• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I hate the media

Nice response from fellow pilot and contributor here.

Here is the message I sent to the station's news manager: I am writing this as a response to the reporting conducted by Nick Broadway regarding the recent fatal accident involving an Aeronca 7AC aircraft. As an MN pilot who has flown 12,000 hours both in small aircraft and for the airlines, as well as owned three Aeronca aircraft (including two 7AC models), I find Mr. Broadway's coverage of this tragedy not only highly inaccurate, but extremely irresponsible.

In an apparent attempt to present himself as an investigative journalist, Mr Broadway has presented many opinions, which he holds no expertise to offer, as facts. His report attempts to present a story that recent accidents in the Aeronca 7AC are somehow all tied together and there is something unsafe and sinister about this old airplane.

This could not be further from the truth. The venerable Aeronca 7AC has been flying for over 70 years and has accumulated MILLIONS of safe flight hours while training untold TENS OF THOUSANDS of pilots. There is a reason that untold THOUSANDS of this basic little flying machine are still operating all over the world, and it isn't that is has some insidious dangerous characteristic. Among pilots, the Champ is such a great training aircraft because it "doesn't have a mean bone in its body."

Any airplane, if not properly maintained or operated can cause loss of life. My heart goes out to the loved ones of the pilot. However, I feel that your publication has taken advantage of this tragedy to try to make a story where one doesn't exist by presenting uneducated opinions as facts. This is the top reason why the public has a decreasing trust in the media and you should be ashamed of yourselves for taking the cheap and easy replacement for real journalism.

Just an observation, but if those 3 aeronca crashes they showed were all 7ac's, could at least 2 of them been caused by a botched forced landing due to fuel exhaustion considering no post crash fires ensued? Still didn't hear what the common problem was with aeronca's? Fake news!

An addendum to the dehydration thread? 8):lol:

Edit, off topic I know. My apologies.

I agree about the reporting on the Champ accident. It's a crying shame, and poorly represented by the reporter.

Freedom of speech comes with perils. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what to dismiss. When somebody says they can’t say it in the first place? We all have a problem.

Back