• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Push to talk button

Hendoii

FRIEND
All,
I'm installing a radio in my cub that has never had one. Does anybody know of a ball for the stick that already has a PTT installed? If one exists where can a guy find one? To that end, do people like them on the ball or should I mount it elsewhere? What about the throttle ball? Thanks in advance!

Location will depend on the user. Everyone seem to have a favorite spot.

I've never seen a factory produced ball with the switch installed. I make my own and drill the bolt in the stick to install them. The other option is the 'fighter pilot grip'. Fits over the stick and usually has a trigger switch and a couple of other pushbutton switches to use. If you install one of those, its mandatory that you make the swoosh sound of a jet as you fly.

Web

Negative, tower!

Location will depend on the user. Everyone seem to have a favorite spot.

I've never seen a factory produced ball with the switch installed. I make my own and drill the bolt in the stick to install them. The other option is the 'fighter pilot grip'. Fits over the stick and usually has a trigger switch and a couple of other pushbutton switches to use. If you install one of those, its mandatory that you make the swoosh sound of a jet as you fly.

Web

I have mine located at front of stick right below little finger. Very easy to use and keeps top of ball open in case I want to rest my hand on top or use wrist to fly as I am trying to mess around with both hands.
DENNY

I have mine located at front of stick right below little finger. Very easy to use and keeps top of ball open in case I want to rest my hand on top or use wrist to fly as I am trying to mess around with both hands.
DENNY

Ditto!

I've drilled the ball on the throttle for a ptt. The problem I'm getting in to is keeping the wires out of the way to avoid binding or pinching as the throttle moves. I think I've got it figured out, we'll see how it works.1531609340568.jpg

Attachments

• 1531609340568.jpg
    1531609340568.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 260
I ran my switch wires the same way, and they abraided somewhat after 15 years, I guess that was long enough.....shoulda not depended on the tie wrap only, and added a blob of rtv or polyurethane to keep it from moving.

Now, if someone could just come up with a way to not accidentally activating the switch while saying things that should not go out over the air.........

I have had them everywhere - all of the above. I prefer the top of the stick. I machine a piece of aluminum for a tight slip fit in the stick, and cut the top off the handlebar grip.

one thing I have not figured out: how to keep the grip from sliding down when my students get a death grip on it.

Bob
Try spraying hair spray inside the grip then slide it on and let it dry. Sticks like glue!
Lou

My stick top has a trim switch. My PTT is what MCS Mike described. I pull it up in the airport environment and push it down for cruise. I can always reach it with my pinky if I need. In this case cheap wasn't the motivation. This PTT is precisely what I want, and it just happens to be cheap. Perfect!

IMG_4592.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 242
How much talking on the radio you planning to do. might help determine where you put it. You’ve not had a radio in this cub before, a hand mic would probably suffice, except it’s harder to locate than a ptt.
Real easy to toggle the ptt about anywhere you wanna put it for the two or three times you may use it, even in a class D (tower) environment.
Clean and out of the way if it’s possible.
There’s an old saying about flying first.... but you’ve already heard it...��

As usual you guys are awesome! I sincerely appreciate everybody taking the time to help me out. It’s crazy the stuff you learn! I would have never thought to use hairspray!

I think I’ll give the front of the stick method a try first and go from there. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what real men use. :cockpit::peeper:peeper

You can pull the trigger and make GAU-8 noises!
693AFCB4-4D87-41B2-88A9-88C666422FC0.jpeg

Attachments

• 693AFCB4-4D87-41B2-88A9-88C666422FC0.jpeg
    693AFCB4-4D87-41B2-88A9-88C666422FC0.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 164
As stated above, think about how often you use your radio. One reason guys like a stick mounted switch is that you always have your hand on the stick. If the PTT switch is right there, you don't need to move your hand to talk on the radio. If you only fly out in the sticks and don't talk much, switch position is less important.

Web

Back