Thread: 2018 New Holstein Flour Drop Exhibition...Pilots Needed!

Post Thanks / Like

2018 New Holstein Flour Drop Exhibition...Pilots Needed!

We currently have the following pilots signed up to provide Flour Drop experience for the top notch bombardier children at the 2018 New Holstein STOL & Flour Drop exhibition.

Larry Vetterman
    Andrew Crane
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Bo Ellis
    Steve Kregel
    Tom Ford

We need pilots, folks! Last year we gave 14 kids rides and had to turn several away. This is a tremendous way to give back to the New Holstein community, so please click on the following link to sign up:

Flour Drop Sign Up: CLICK

Thank you for considering!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be more entertaining if the kids flew the plane and the pilots dropped the bombs?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes WindOnHisNose, 40m, kestrel, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Wouldn't it be more entertaining if the kids flew the plane and the pilots dropped the bombs?

Glenn
    I'm no eye doctor, but I think you need to keep your head down for several more days...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am copying this to give you a glimpse of what we experienced in 2016 at the Flour Drop exhibition. It is important.

Thoughts About Flour Bombing at New Holstein

We had a grand time at the New Holstein STOL/Flour Drop exhibition last week, getting the chance to see some really great flying, some really nice airplanes. I know that there were many people who made the trip from AirVenture to join in the festivities, and even a couple of pilots who had been invited to participate in the STOL demonstrations and contest across the lake at KOSH.

The last event of the exhibition was the flour drop (bombing). You may recall that Rick Papp did an awesome job of getting children to ride with some of the pilots who were willing to let the kids serve as bombardiers, dropping little paper sacks of flour from a height of 100 feet agl (in theory), aiming to hit a brightly painted tire on the turf in front of the announcer’s table and squarely in front of the crowd who had gathered to watch. Please take a moment to look at the thread I started to thank those who made it possible to hold these events (http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...rop-Exhibition).

If you look closely at the lineup of kids with their chosen pilots you will see a bunch of smiles on the faces of the bombardiers, as well as on the faces of the pilots. It really was quite remarkable.

I summarized the listing of the top three teams, with photos of the kids, but I would like to focus on a story that warms my heart.
    Days before the event was to be held Dianne Reese, Mayor of New Holstein and an ardent supporter of the airport, approached several of us and asked if we would make sure that a specific young girl, Josie, was placed with a pilot in the flour bombing exhibition. We didn’t know why Dianne had intervened on this particular child, but we figured it was likely one of her family members, or a child of one of her friends, and we made mental notes to save a back seat for one Josie.

Rick was able to match children with pilots and we were happy to find a ride for each of the children who had come forward wanting to participate. Josie was placed with Joe Edwards, and you can see them standing together, Josie in front of Joe, in the lineup, 7th from the right.

I watched this pretty closely as the children stepped forward to pick up their “ordinance”…3 flour bags…and return to stand by their pilot, and it was at that time that I noticed something a bit out of the ordinary about Josie.

Josie looked to be about 11 or 12 years of age, and she had a big smile on her face as she retrieved her flour sacks. It was easy to see that she was excited as she turned to return to stand by Joe. It wasn’t her smile, though, that caught my eye, but rather her head. Josie had lost the hair from her head. Totally gone, revealing a shiny head, but on that head was one terrific smile.

I learned later that Josie has been fighting cancer, and the loss of her beautiful hair was one of the things that accompanied the chemotherapy that had hopefully ridded her young body of the cancerous cells. I am not sure how many of you have had dear friends or loved ones who have undergone chemotherapy, but I know I have, and it is quite a difficult time in that patient’s life. Not only does one suffer significant stomach cramps, but there is a constant upset stomach as the chemotherapy destroys actively dividing cells, like those that line our gut. Hair follicles are very frequently zapped because they are actively dividing cells and the chemotherapy tends to kill not only cancer cells, but also normal actively dividing cells. Josie was no exception, and this beautiful child had been left marked, for the present, as a person who had experienced some pretty tough times. This is difficult for adults, but I think even more difficult for these children. Some kids choose to tease those who look different than others, and Josie certainly looked different from other children. I have a dear friend who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and she found the loss of her beautiful hair to be a very humiliating thing to endure, but she knew it was part of the regimen that she must experience to defeat the cancer. She happens to be a physician who, like me, should be able to look at this rationally and “get over” the loss of hair, but I think this is very, very difficult for women. Heck, I am bald, and I have gotten used to it. It is different thing for women.

Joe accepted his bombardier with grace and compassion. It was remarkable to watch him talk calmly with Josie, and to see the bonding that was happening as Joe walked with Josie to his trusty yellow super cub. Joe helped her climb in, helped buckle her seatbelt and you could see him explaining what was going to transpire during the startup, the taxi and the flight.

Well, the event began and Josie and Joe made their three runs, being in first place until Harvey Cleveland and his bombardier, Blake, hit a perfect bullseye on their second run. You could see the doors opened on Joe’s cockpit as they flew over the target and communicated as to when to best drop the sack of flour.

After the event, Rick brought the top three finishers to the awards area and we took photographs of the kids standing behind the painted tire which had served as the target. I want you to take a look at Josie and Joe, who finished in second place. Look at the joy in Joe’s face and in Josie’s face.

This was a priceless photograph for Joe, and the moment was priceless for those who watched this moment unfold. I glanced over at the scorer’s area and there sat a wonderful person, Dianna Duncan, who has had her life change because of cancer and I think this moment was very special for her, too, as she watched Josie take flight, as she recorded her bombing scores. I looked over at Dianna’s husband, Bushwheel Bill, and I think I could see a lump in his throat as he stood next to his bride. He knew the uncertainty, the pain of watching a loved one face cancer and I wonder what the future might hold.

The significance of Joe’s kindness in giving Josie a chance was appreciated by the crowd, who loudly applauded these two winners. Later, Joe would tell me that the moments he spent with Josie were among the most memorable of his life, and asked if I could get him a copy of the photograph…which I did. I could see the compassion and satisfaction in Joe’s face.

Joe, you done good, pardner. Real good. Good on you for opening your cockpit door to this dear child, good on you for opening your heart to Josie and letting those of us who watched appreciate the goodness that can spring forth from the kind and generous people at New Holstein on that glorious day. I hope that next year we can help Rick by getting even more children in the air.

It isn’t just about the flour bombing, nor about the STOL, it's about the people. What a rich and multicolored quilt of memories is woven together during the New Holstein Supercub.org Flyin. As Bill Rusk would say, "We are blessed".
    Thanks Pete Schoeninger thanked for this post
    Likes skyking1, kestrel, flyrite, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, well said, and good job by all involved. Iíve learned to expect nothing less from this crew.

Itís not the same as what you guys do, but giving back rewards everyone. I used to teach skiing (snow and water) and one day a woman called me about teaching her daughter to waterski. Not a problem I said, if they are between 6 and 60 I can guarantee they will get up and ski. Her daughter was 13 or 14 if I recall, and she hesitated awhile and said ďyou guarantee it (?), my daughter has some balance issues..Ē. I said sure, Iíve never had someone that never got up on skis, even if just on the boom. So yes, I guarantee it.

So we arranged a time and the family showed up. Turns out I was in for a surprise as the balance issues were because she had Downís syndrome, and the issues were severe. She needed help to walk down a slight slope to the dock.

But back then I had both the time and the patience, and said okay letís go!

It took a while, but I wasnít giving up, because this girl was the most determined teen girl I had ever met. She wanted this bad, her family was there to see it and by god I was going to ensure she achieved it.
    With a couple of short rest breaks she did ski, even if it was just for a few short distances, and it put an accomplished smile on her face.

Iíve had plenty of the uncoordinated, the weak and the lazy. And Iíve forgotten most of them.

Those I remember are the determined, and the challenges that were overcome by them.

Tell me it canít be done. I accept the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes kestrel, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Randy, well said, and good job by all involved. I’ve learned to expect nothing less from this crew.

It’s not the same as what you guys do, but giving back rewards everyone. I used to teach skiing (snow and water) and one day a woman called me about teaching her daughter to waterski. Not a problem I said, if they are between 6 and 60 I can guarantee they will get up and ski. Her daughter was 13 or 14 if I recall, and she hesitated awhile and said “you guarantee it (?), my daughter has some balance issues..”. I said sure, I’ve never had someone that never got up on skis, even if just on the boom. So yes, I guarantee it.

So we arranged a time and the family showed up. Turns out I was in for a surprise as the balance issues were because she had Down’s syndrome, and the issues were severe. She needed help to walk down a slight slope to the dock.

But back then I had both the time and the patience, and said okay let’s go!

It took a while, but I wasn’t giving up, because this girl was the most determined teen girl I had ever met. She wanted this bad, her family was there to see it and by god I was going to ensure she achieved it.
    With a couple of short rest breaks she did ski, even if it was just for a few short distances, and it put an accomplished smile on her face.

I’ve had plenty of the uncoordinated, the weak and the lazy. And I’ve forgotten most of them.

Those I remember are the determined, and the challenges that were overcome by them.

Tell me it can’t be done. I accept the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Nice Peter!

"Tell me it can’t be done. I accept the challenge."

Now get to finding an airplane, snows a comin.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response!!! We now have 14 kind, gentle souls who have signed up to do the Flour Bombing!

Ladies and Gentlemen, here they are!

Larry Vetterman Cub
    Andrew Crane Bellanca 7GCBC
    Richard Ness Super Cub
    Pete Meyer CarbonCubEX
    Kevin Johnson PA-18
    Bo Ellis C 180
    Steve Kregel SQ2
    Tom Ford Pa-18
    Kevin Carbon Cub
    Jim Crane Carbon cub
    Terry Dow 8BCBC
    Henry Sanger Maule
    Todd Linkous Rans s7s
    Jim Stevenson C170B

Rick Papp has kindly consented to be the Air Boss for the Flour Bombing Operations! Rick has done a terrific job with this each of the last two years, and we are thankful for his leadership and enthusiasm for this event.

We will be sending out information those who have kindly signed up, and will post them here, as well.

Have a great day, you folks! Thanks, again!

Randy the Shooter
    Likes RaisedByWolves, tcraft128 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I signed up.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Jake
    Maybe you didnít pass the background check!
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    The response from you folks is what we have come to expect from Supercub.org people...Outstanding!

Here are those who have signed up for the Flour Bombing Exhibition!

Andrew Crane
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Bo Ellis
    Steve Kregel
    Tom Ford
    Kevin
    Jim Crane
    Terry Dow
    Henry Sanger
    Todd Linkous
    Jim Stevenson
    Jay Stanford
    Steve Lewis
    Stephen parker
    Robert Rodenhouse
    Jake Hayes
    George Richmond

Many, many thanks to you!

Randy

p.s. Would "Rick" flying Kevin Carbon Cub 209RQ please provide your last name? Thank you!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, whoever signed up very early, with the following information, forgot to put your name! Please provide that here, if you would be so kind...

Cub N746SC White-red

Thank you!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the Guidelines for the 2018 New Holstein Flour Bombing...er...Drop Exhibition:

Objectives:
    1. To be safe…keep traffic in sight, maintaining safe separation.
    2. Precision Bombing of the target from NOT LESS THAN 100 feet AGL (that will be 1100 feet msl at 8D1)
    3. The winning Bomber crew will be the one whose flour bomb strikes the ground CLOSEST to the target.
    4. BE SAFE!
    5. Have Fun!

Rules of Engagement:
    1. Participants must attend the Pre-Exhibition Briefing, to be held at the Judges Area just prior to the event.
    2. Each Bomber crew, consisting of a pilot and a bombardier, will receive an equal number of bombs (2 or 3, depending upon the number of crews participating)
    3. Bombing crews will be assigned to Squadron, each several aircraft.
    4. Squadrons will be launched in assigned series, to be arranged at the Briefing.
    5. Upon takeoff, all members of the squadron will follow the flight leader.
    6. Altimeters shall be set to ZERO ft AGL before departure.
    7. All bombing runs must be at Flight Level 1.1 thousand (100 feet AGL). Set your altimeters to Zero altitude before takeoff to facilitate nailing that altitude at precisely 100 ft AGL. If you drop bombs from less than 100 feet AGL you will be disqualified, discredited and forced to eat baked chicken.
    8. Members of each squadron shall space themselves so as to make this a SAFE EVENT, keeping situational awareness foremost in our minds. It is better to have too much spacing than too little!
    9. After dropping your bomb, climb straight ahead to 500 feet agl (1500 feet msl) before turning crosswind, make appropriate traffic and enter a downwind leg so as to maintain traffic separation, preparing for the next bomb drop.
    10. After each squadron has completed all bombing runs, please return to land, doing so well away from the bombing area.
    11. All aircraft will monitor CTAF 123.0 for directions from the Airboss.
    12. The decisions of the judges are final. No Whining…we will not be calling the Wahhhmbulance

Rick Papp, Flour Drop Airboss
    Randy the Shooter, Flour Drop Assistant
    Likes 62E, tcraft128, C130jake, NE Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, catching up on NH posts. I had the honor of flying Josie last year! We didn't win anything, but we had a lot of fun and she's an amazing young lady.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20374753_10155537294413328_7025497767648412000_n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	38184

looking forward to flying Young Eagles and a flour drop bombardier this year!

Sarah
    Likes LoriF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

Sorry I won't be able to make it this year to defend my title, unfortunately it is just not in the cards dealt this year.

Kirby
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirby and Sarah, you two rock! Kirby, I know you would be there if you could, and that is what is important. Next year we will save a spot for you. Sarah, the rides you and Joe Edwards gave Josie are, I am sure, amongst the most memorable of her young life.

Randy
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    The response from you folks is what we have come to expect from Supercub.org people...Outstanding!

Here are those who have signed up for the Flour Bombing Exhibition!

Andrew Crane
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Bo Ellis
    Steve Kregel
    Tom Ford
    Kevin
    Jim Crane
    Terry Dow
    Henry Sanger
    Todd Linkous
    Jim Stevenson
    Jay Stanford
    Steve Lewis
    Stephen parker
    Robert Rodenhouse
    Jake Hayes
    George Richmond

Many, many thanks to you!

Randy

p.s. Would "Rick" flying Kevin Carbon Cub 209RQ please provide your last name? Thank you!

Randy
    Quinn

see you soon!