Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 New Holstein Young Eagles Rally...Call for Pilots!

Post Thanks / Like

2018 New Holstein Young Eagles Rally...Call for Pilots!

Ladies and gentlemen, we are starting to think about the upcoming YoungEagles Rally that will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 22, at the Annual Airport Appreciation Day at the 8D1 New Holstein Airport!

We are most pleased that EAA Chapter 237, from the Anoka County-Blaine airport, has again kindly consented to sponsor the event. While the event is quite weather dependent, we expect a big turnout of kids wanting to take advantage of this opportunity. We feel that by moving the New Holstein Supercub.org Fly In up to an arrival day of Friday, July 21, and by hosting the YE event on the morning of the same day as the New Holstein Short Field Exhibitions and Flour Drop (which will be held in the afternoon), we can have more qualified pilots to give rides.

We typically give just over 90 YE flights, folks, and there were many, many appreciative kids and parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles! What a great way to give back to this wonderful community at New Holstein, who are so supportive of our Fly In. To those of you who have helped, you know of the joy you bring to these kids. Those smiles are priceless!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH_OSH-1066.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	37770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH_OSH-1071.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	37771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH_OSH-1077.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	37772

Please give this some thought and consider participating by getting your EAA Youth Protection certification and give these kids their first flight!

Please let me know. We are going to need a good number of pilots.

SJ has kindly provided this link to a sign up page. Please take a moment to use this link and sign up.

https://goo.gl/forms/nHEbUXtQtH2aILiZ2

Thank you!

Randy
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 06-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Likes Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That was one of the funnest times Iíve had. I suggest to pilots that can make it should do so. Itíll make your day. Unfortunately I canít make it on Sunday morning. Weather permitting Iíll be there Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just edited the first post in this thread to include the signup page.

Thanks for considering helping this event happen, folks. It is another way we can thank the kind people of New Holstein for their support of the Supercub.org Flyin.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, we are starting to think about the upcoming YoungEagles Rally that will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 22, at the Annual Airport Appreciation Day at the 8D1 New Holstein Airport!

We are most pleased that EAA Chapter 237, from the Anoka County-Blaine airport, has again kindly consented to sponsor the event. While the event is quite weather dependent, we expect a big turnout of kids wanting to take advantage of this opportunity. We feel that by moving the New Holstein Supercub.org Fly In up to an arrival day of Friday, July 21, and by hosting the YE event on the morning of the same day as the New Holstein Short Field Exhibitions and Flour Drop (which will be held in the afternoon), we can have more qualified pilots to give rides.

We typically give just over 90 YE flights, folks, and there were many, many appreciative kids and parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles! What a great way to give back to this wonderful community at New Holstein, who are so supportive of our Fly In. To those of you who have helped, you know of the joy you bring to these kids. Those smiles are priceless!

Name:	NH_OSH-1066.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	37770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH_OSH-1071.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	37771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NH_OSH-1077.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	37772

Please give this some thought and consider participating by getting your EAA Youth Protection certification and give these kids their first flight!

Please let me know. We are going to need a good number of pilots.

SJ has kindly provided this link to a sign up page. Please take a moment to use this link and sign up.

Thank you!

Randy
    Do we need a new certification every year? I got my certification last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question, Steve! The certification is good for 3 years from the date of issue.

Name:	Youth Protection Certificate.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	37781
    Thanks for asking this question...I hadn't considered that this could be a problem. Given that the program went into effect in early 2016, I doubt that anyone will have an expired certificate this year...but next year I will be one of those who need to complete the process again. While a bit of a hassle, it is well worth doing this!

I look forward to seeing you at NH!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, we have had only one respondent...and that was me!!!

Please step forward and help us get this YE Rally off the ground!

Thank you.

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, we have had only one respondent...and that was me!!!

Please step forward and help us get this YE Rally off the ground!

Thank you.

Randy the Shooter

Andrew and I tentatively blocked out the time this year and plan to come out. Sign us up to help. I suppose I will have to hold my nose and jump the hoops to get approval. Will get after it

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    RandyBob
    Sorry I’ll miss it this year.
    Next year for sure.
    LouBob

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to be at the flyin and am willing to fly young eagles and help with the short field exhibition.
    Steve Kregel
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Time is getting short and flying the kids at NH is a big event so I’m hoping Dr Randy will have quite a few volunteer pilots to help out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Andrew and I tentatively blocked out the time this year and plan to come out. Sign us up to help. I suppose I will have to hold my nose and jump the hoops to get approval. Will get after it

jim
    Jim, the online course is pretty quick and painless. I actually learned some useful info from it, and it took less than 20 minutes to complete. Would you and your son signup if/when you decide if you are coming out?

Thanks for tentatively planning to come out. It would be great to meet your son and to see you again.

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, we need more pilots/aircraft! Thanks to those who have signed up already!

Name:  YE signup 7 2 2018.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  16.1 KB
    Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you guys will be busy......

Post Thanks / Like
    My plane is still in Salmon, ID. Left it there after JC due to weather and having to get back to work. I will try to retrieve it after I get back from Shanghai and before my brothers wedding. If that works out, I will be flying to New Holstein and can help with rides.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Thatís funny that a photo of the Crimson Cub II is used as the New Holstein Young Eagles glamour shot. Charlie wasnít allowed to participate in the Young Eagles rally last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    Thatís funny that a photo of the Crimson Cub II is used as the New Holstein Young Eagles glamour shot. Charlie wasnít allowed to participate in the Young Eagles rally last year.

It was the, very effective, static display for the before flight briefings.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    That’s funny that a photo of the Crimson Cub II is used as the New Holstein Young Eagles glamour shot. Charlie wasn’t allowed to participate in the Young Eagles rally last year.

I guess we each find humor in different things, Wendy. I thought being able to use it as a static display for Jim Dickerson to do a preflight briefing for the kids and their parents was a very kind gesture by Charlie, and it was very helpful.

We each have the choice to meet the criteria to participate in YE, or not. Some choose not to comply with other parts of the YE requirements, like the Youth Protection program. It would have been sad if he hadn't been so kind as to offer his aircraft for the kids, but I found his gesture to be a really nice one.

"wasn't allowed"? I would think it better described as "chose to help in another way."

Randy
    Likes SteveE, OLDCROWE, FdxLou, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C130jake View Post
    My plane is still in Salmon, ID. Left it there after JC due to weather and having to get back to work. I will try to retrieve it after I get back from Shanghai and before my brothers wedding. If that works out, I will be flying to New Holstein and can help with rides.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks, Jake! I hope it works out for you to be at NH, and it would be gravy and lucky for the kids if you can do YE!!!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry Vetterman sent a note that he completed the Youth Protection certification process yesterday, and that the standard message was that it could take several days to weeks to get the certificate. He was pleasantly surprised to get it the next day! Something to keep in mind, folks, so please don't delay in doing the process.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry Vetterman sent a note that he completed the Youth Protection certification process yesterday, and that the standard message was that it could take several days to weeks to get the certificate. He was pleasantly surprised to get it the next day! Something to keep in mind, folks, so please don't delay in doing the process.

Randy
    I, for one, canít believe Vetterman passed the background.

Likes WindOnHisNose, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I was surprised too. Guess I never did anything bad. See u at NH.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record, below are the pilot requirements for participating in Young Eagles operations, taken directly from the EAA's website. Please note that these are the EAA's requirements, not just mine/SJs.

Pilot Requirements

The Young Eagles pilot requirements are basic,
    but MUST be followed.

> Be a current EAAģ member and hold an appropriate
    airman’s certificate (sport pilot or greater)

> Possess a current medical certificate (if applicable)

> Be current to carry passengers in the aircraft
    you plan to use

> Have a current flight review

> Complete the Young Eagles registration form
    before the flight, including parent or legal guardian
    signature, and pilot signature

> Conduct flights in an aircraft that is in
    airworthy condition

> Have aircraft passenger liability insurance for the
    aircraft used (owned, rented, or borrowed)

> Adhere to all applicable Federal Air Rules (FARs)

> Complete both the online training and basic background
    check as a part of EAA’s Youth Protection Policy.

For more information, visit EAA.org/YouthProtection.

Insurance Coverage
    As an EAA member participating in the Young Eagles
    program, you are eligible for an additional $1 million of
    passenger liability insurance coverage, if you carry a minimum
    of $100,000 per seat liability insurance. This coverage
    is automatically in place when flying Young Eagles;
    there are no additional forms to complete. In addition to
    these requirements, you must also meet the current Federal
    Air Rules (FARs) for the pilot certificate you hold.

Thanks for those of you who are willing to meet the EAA's requirements! Greatly appreciated by me, and certainly by the kids of New Holstein!

Randy
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, this is Charlotte Doyle, Ed Doyle's secretary. He wants me to let you know that he will be available to fly Young Eagles. He has his Youth Protection certificate from last year; I think it is good for three years. He has insurance and I think he has flown over 500 hours!! All he has to do is find good weather to get to NH. He's planning to leave even earlier this year! I have to stay home because my momma guinea is hatching that weekend...and someone has to keep all of Eddie's projects under control so he can travel! Until...
    Charlotte
    Likes Steve-N1964S, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ds View Post
    Randy, this is Charlotte Doyle, Ed Doyle's secretary. He wants me to let you know that he will be available to fly Young Eagles. He has his Youth Protection certificate from last year; I think it is good for three years. He has insurance and I think he has flown over 500 hours!! All he has to do is find good weather to get to NH. He's planning to leave even earlier this year! I have to stay home because my momma guinea is hatching that weekend...and someone has to keep all of Eddie's projects under control so he can travel! Until...
    Charlotte
    Great news about Eddie coming, Lousy news that you are not. Shoot, we had name tags all prepared for you this year so you could tell us apart, Charlotte! Guess we will have to have them ready when you come NEXT year!

Take care, hope all is well with you.

Randy
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I visited Charlie's strip/Crimson CubII yesterday but only heard Wilber Dog saying hello to me

Here is the link to the EAA program:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...cy-and-program

Post Thanks / Like
    I just Completed the course and have already called 911 and reported To put Eaton on the watchlist. Randy, I am Happy to help out. Rick
    Never stay level!!!!!
    Likes WindOnHisNose, OLDCROWE, Tim, Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to the following pilots who have signed up to give YE rides:

Randy Corfman
    Steve Kregel
    Jim Stevenson
    Steve Lewis
    James Crane
    Bill Tracy
    Larry Vetterman
    James Hayes

We can use more pilots! In the last few years we have routinely given 80-90 flights to the kids whose parents/grandparents/guardians have kindly signed them up for flights. We need more pilots! Please take a moment to consider helping us out by giving rides.

Rick Papp has volunteered to help coordinate the ground ops...Thanks, Rick! If you are able to help with this please respond here, or pm me, please.

Thanks!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a couple of individuals who always come through for us in giving YE rides, and sure enough two of those have enthusiastically signed up again...Bill Tracy and Steve Lewis. Another pilot we have counted on every year, Lou Furlong, is not able to make it this year, and his contributions will be sorely missed.

I communicated with Bill Tracy last week to thank him for signing up and his response was "Sure I'm going to give Young Eagle rides...It is the Best Part!" I think that pretty much summarizes the feelings of those who have given rides in the past.

Attachment 37942

Attachment 37943

Attachment 37944

Thanks, again, to all who participated in the past, and to those who will help again this year!

Randy
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie is already concerned that his name is not on your list! He thinks maybe I didn't register him correctly. It's tough being a pilot's wife...especially if the pilot doesn't want to keyboard!
    Charlotte Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlotte, thanks for the note. Yes, indeed, Eddie is signed up! We now have 10 pilots signed up! Thanks!

Here is the current list!

Randy Corfman
    Steve Kregel
    Jim Stevenson
    Steve Lewis
    James Crane
    Bill Tracy
    Larry Vetterman
    James Hayes
    Terry Dow
    EDWARD Doyle

Many thanks!

Name:	IMG_8887 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	38069

Name:	IMG_8901 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	38070

Name:	IMG_8924 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	38071

Name:	IMG_8928.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	38072

...and the smiles were abundant! Thanks!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_4495.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	38079

Here is one of 10 from last year. She was a hoot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a tally of those who have kindly and graciously signed up for Young Eagles flights...Thank You!

Randy Corfman
    Steve Kregel
    Jim Stevenson
    Steve Lewis
    James Crane
    Bill Tracy
    Larry Vetterman
    James Hayes
    Terry Dow
    EDWARD Doyle
    Robert Rodenhouse

We are very thankful for your willingness to support this wonderful opportunity to get kids in the cockpit and let them experience the Magic of Flight. We could use more pilots.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    A big thank you to those of you who have signed up for Young Eagle flights!

Here are some important points to consider:

Sunday, July 22

0730: Briefing for Young Eagles Flightrs

0745: Pilots and Ground Crew Breakfast

0800-1200: Young Eagle flights

Pilots and Ground Crews, please make sure you attend the briefing. We are likely to have coupons donated to us from the City of New Holstein, and they will be distributed at the briefing, and they will be useful in getting your complimentary breakfast and lunch.

We will be identifying a super cub for a static display at the Young Eagle staging area. If anyone is able to volunteer their aircraft for that purpose please pm me so that can be arranged.

We will also be needing a pilot with awesome communication skills to provide the briefings to the Young Eagles and their parents.

We will also need volunteers to escort the kids from static display to be introduced to their pilot and aircraft.

The wind is forecast to be from the S-SE for that day. With this in mind the following ground flow and flight paths will be used. Please make yourself comfortable with the schematic.

Ground Operations

Name:	8D1 YE Ground Ops.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	38161

Young Eagles Flight Path

Name:	8D1 YE Flight Path.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	38163
    By all of us using this path we can minimize problems and know where to look for other traffic.

Here are the folks who have signed up to do YE flights. We can always use more, so please let me know if you are able to help, either as a pilot or as ground crew.
    Randy Corfman
    Steve Kregel
    Jim Stevenson
    Steve Lewis
    James Crane
    Bill Tracy
    Larry Vetterman
    James Hayes
    Terry Dow
    EDWARD Doyle
    Robert Rodenhouse

Many thanks to EAA Chapter 237 at the Anoka County-Blaine airport in Minnesota for sponsoring the event. We greatly appreciate their help!

Thank you!

Randy the Shooter
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent you the text
    Never stay level!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell those of us that have never done a Young Eagle flight about it. How far out, how long, etc. etc. How much other traffic too ? Assume shut down in between passengers ? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Armour View Post
    Tell those of us that have never done a Young Eagle flight about it. How far out, how long, etc. etc. How much other traffic too ? Assume shut down in between passengers ? thanks
    See map in previous post. Takes 10 min, maybe. Unless you divert a little then rejoin pattern. Planes are spaced out with no issues. Yes on shut down between passengers. It will be the funnest part of your day.

Thanks WindOnHisNose, Tony Armour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    See map in previous post. Takes 10 min, maybe. Unless you divert a little then rejoin pattern. Planes are spaced out with no issues. Yes on shut down between passengers. It will be the funnest part of your day.

My apologies, I asked the question via an email link and hadn’t seen the new posts with maps at that time. I’ll sign up for the flights and flour drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to apologize Tony, no big deal. Youíll have a blast taking the little kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the great things about a nonflap cub is you can put the kids up front. I've done over 200 kids and this Amish kids flight was one of my most favorite

Sitting in the back I was privileged to watch this kid discover a new world

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an update for those ACES who have signed up to give YE flights!

Randy Corfman
    Steve Kregel
    Jim Stevenson
    Steve Lewis
    James Crane
    Bill Tracy
    James Hayes
    Terry Dow
    Ed Doyle
    Robert Rodenhouse
    Mick Capouch
    Kevin Quinn
    Sarah Dickerson
    Rodney Barnes
    Tony Armour

This is gonna be a hoot! I may need to redo the flight plan and ground ops, as the wind is forecast to be out of the NNE. Standby for that.

Thank you all very, very much.

Rick Papp and Jim Dickerson are going to be leading the ground ops for the event. Thanks to those two characters for what they do for these kids.

Randy
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 07-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.