• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

T3 field approvals?

41799525_10213981168396731_3311947181430145024_o.jpg

Well, I hope you at least found the tailwheel. They are kinda expensive. Lol. Nice field repair though.....what no duct tape

I do appreciate the custom fabrication... can I get copies of the field approval docs as well[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

A tail skid is better than a full castering tail wheel in preventing ground loops and in providing more angle of attack for lift off.

I once saw a tailwheel sitting in the middle of the grass runway at Plymouth NH. Protesting, I think.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I think that’s the difference JP. My wing had to be torn off. Your tailwheel simply decided to leave you on its own accord. Maybe it didn’t love you as much?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

I think that’s the difference JP. My wing had to be torn off. Your tailwheel simply decided to leave you on its own accord. Maybe it didn’t love you as much?

True. It was mad at me because Ford was flying her instead of me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It did not "need" to be torn off, nor 'had' to be torn off... you just did it on your own!

I am calling Juneau FSDO tomorrow to see about a FA for these. If Greg allowed one, just maybe...

Thomas Dietrich from the Husky folks has gotten his STC for the one piece tail spring and started delivery’s as of last week. They have been tested quit a while and haven’t had any failures.

On the field approval note, would anyone who’s successfully gotten a field approval be willing to share a copy? Hoping to get started on the process shortly, myself.

Message me with your Email address

On the field approval note, would anyone who’s successfully gotten a field approval be willing to share a copy? Hoping to get started on the process shortly, myself.

What is spec’d out on the PA-18 type certificate for a tail spring?

You would need the landing gear structural report to figure that out. Not likely that Piper would release that. So reverse engineer is the only way. Pick out I’ll the requirements in CAR 3 that deal with the landing gear structure, and re-do all the calculations with substituting the T3 instead of the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat but the off airport places I go are pretty smooth. I have talked to Dan several times and keep weighing it out in my mind.
View attachment 37713

I put a T3 on about 8 months ago. Fly off a rough grass strip and when I would taxi with the leaf spring tail wheel the elevator would move up and down. It would feel like a wave motion. With the T3. that is all gone. 100% better. I also ran some high speed taxi's down it with a ranger with a camera beside me videoing the tail section. The T3 was taking all of the bounces and the tail section did not move. Very impressive! Made all the difference for me. Hope this helps.

Just had field approval denied today. I’m told the FAA is no longer approving the T3 system. Suppose I’ll just have to be really low key.

Just had field approval denied today. I’m told the FAA is no longer approving the T3 system. Suppose I’ll just have to be really low key.

I’m curious what their reason was? Did you provide any data and drop test info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too would be very curious as to what the reason is. I guess they are the government and really don't need one.

I submitted a prior approval to support the application. I’m honestly not even sure they reviewed it. What I’m gathering is that they’re denying all applications without consideration.

Back