• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

T3 field approvals?

I have the composite tailspring on my Husky made by Thomas Dietrich in Germany, STC for tailski, so all good. It works well for me. Removed 5 lbs from tail compared to stock spring, but I also removed a lot of weight forward to help offset matters. Thomas has just finished doing a forged steel one piece spring for the Husky which is only one pound more weight than the composite one he says, have not seen that yet, only in pictures.
John

I would consider moving the road!:lol:

I would if I owned it, but not that big of a deal, been there for over 20 years. Only gets interesting when they appear out of the trees with a tractor, bailer and haywagon just as you touch down :yikez:

Glenn

Last edited:
I have the composite tailspring on my Husky made by Thomas Dietrich in Germany, STC for tailski, so all good. It works well for me. Removed 5 lbs from tail compared to stock spring, but I also removed a lot of weight forward to help offset matters. Thomas has just finished doing a forged steel one piece spring for the Husky which is only one pound more weight than the composite one he says, have not seen that yet, only in pictures.
John

What does the composite spring weigh? Here are some weights I have of tail springs:

AK Bushwheels 3 leaf tail springs 4.85 lbs. with their bracket 5.05 lbs
Univair 3 leaf from 1 ¼” 3.10 lbs.
Univair Pacer/Super Cub 4 leaf 4.20 lbs with Piper bracket 4.35 lbs
Univair Pacer/Super Cub 4 leaf with bracket holding springs together 4.50 lbs
4 leaf Pawnee tail spring 6.2 lbs.
Husky Spring pack 4.875 lbs.

I’ll split one with you Pierce. Run it for a min. If you like it buy my 1/2 and sign my logs as a minor alteration for the one I buy. If you don’t like it, I’ll buy your half and pretend to sign my own logs:p......Brandt likes his on the Rans

I’ll split one with you Pierce. Run it for a min. If you like it buy my 1/2 and sign my logs as a minor alteration for the one I buy. If you don’t like it, I’ll buy your half and pretend to sign my own logs:p......Brandt likes his on the Rans

You always tend to come out smelling like a rose on any deal you make. I'll let you buy one and try it out. When did you ever worry about logbooks?

Different ball game all together. My question was more to the Super Cub guys since that is what I would run it on. RANS is probably a lot lighter and lots of differences over a Super Cub.
Not so Sir. With all due respect, these aircraft are more similar then you think.
Roddy

You mention three pointing on rough terrain and thought maybe that was the way you landed a RANs. I wheel land most of the time for visibility mostly. Figured you can see over the nose easier in the RANs than I can with 3" extended gear, 31" BWs and the Thrustline modification. Never flown a RANs so I am pretty ignorant to their operation. Enjoyed visiting with Randy and Shelly in Perry, FL when we all got stuck on our way to Sun & Fun and learned a lot but still haven't flown one.

I’m speaking out of turn but.....I’ve got an entire 10 min in a S7 with robertson gear. I flew it just like an -18, tail low wheel landings, tail comes right up on T/O. I thought the controls were crisper, you could crank the shorter wing and it had plenty of rudder/elevator. It flew better than the super cubs I’ve been in however it would kite a little because of its light weight. Good plane

I’m speaking out of turn but.....I’ve got an entire 10 min in a S7 with robertson gear. I flew it just like an -18, tail low wheel landings, tail comes right up on T/O. I thought the controls were crisper, you could crank the shorter wing and it had plenty of rudder/elevator. It flew better than the super cubs I’ve been in however it would kite a little because of its light weight. Good plane
So are you gonna nix the new SC and start working out of an S7?

You mention three pointing on rough terrain and thought maybe that was the way you landed a RANs. I wheel land most of the time for visibility mostly. Figured you can see over the nose easier in the RANs than I can with 3" extended gear, 31" BWs and the Thrustline modification. Never flown a RANs so I am pretty ignorant to their operation. Enjoyed visiting with Randy and Shelly in Perry, FL when we all got stuck on our way to Sun & Fun and learned a lot but still haven't flown one.
A stock S7 is indeed a little easier to see over the nose. Mine has extended Roberts gear on 29”s
so the vis over the nose is indeed restricted. Any of the 3 pt landings I do are in places I’m sure of what’s ahead, putting on the mains for good vis, though, as you say, is probably a better way.
I have the privilege of flying my neighbor’s new Super Legend from time to time and it’s amazing how similar these aircraft handle. As suggested already, the Legend rides the bumps better.
Make no mistake, even though the RANS is not for sale, I am a Super Cub fan and would love to own a red and white Super Cub on floats. Now that would be ideal!
Roddy

Talked with Randy quite a while when we were stuck in Perry and we discussed the two airplanes. It was interesting when we talked about the S21 and I asked why he went with the O-340 on the demo that had there. He said he did that to carry a load and it would do it well up to a pretty high altitude at close to 1500 ft per minute. It is interesting how all these airplanes are different yet similar. Even the differences between Super Cubs, Super Legends and Carbon Cubs. Of course it is hard to find two Super Cubs that are the same or fly the same.

What is the useful load on an S7 vs a Super Cub? How much do you carry in anvils and hammers on a regular job?

in jest...

if you as a pilot think it falls as a minor, and you are allowed to change landing gear parts (wheels/ski's) and log it... why don't YOU log it....????

What is the useful load on an S7 vs a Super Cub? How much do you carry in anvils and hammers on a regular job?
There’s not as much useful load difference as a person thinks between a sub 800lb S7 and a 1150lb -18 given the cub is 1750 gross. The Rans will go as far as a cub on 1/2 the fuel......on the horse shoeing question, 125-50lbs is about what I carry on a normal day trip. Some of the ranches have anvils I’ve left or I carry a stall jack which is an abbreviated anvil on a tripod type stand.

The 2000 lb gross weight mod requires the 4 leaf 1 1/2 tail springs.
No “minor change” wiggle room with that. :sad:

There is a field approval out there. PM me if you are really serious about going through the process

IMG_0970.JPGIMG_0968.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

On my last 12 I used the t3 after realizing how much abuses even taxiing put on the tail with a 6” ext. gear. On a 47 airframe it was a concern (or maybe me being overly paranoid)

Once installed the dampening effect I found incredible.
The side to side durability, obviously not so much as seen by the pics.
I have been told that this has been remedied by a one piece billet aluminum arm, rather than the pictured style by the manufacturer. I have yet to send it back, since I am just finishing my new gear ext on a new airplane. But I will utilize it again given my experiences, even with this 2011 airframe.
It is a very high quality product and particularly in a 12, when you have a nose high attitude in order to really get it slowed down on final, touchIng tailwheel first happens. This product absorbs and dampens that, thusly absorbing more of the energy rather than transferring it to the tail.

Although I will/ have/ should get field approval this time. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 292
There is no reference to a tail spring in the PA-18 type certificate. Why is it necessary to field approve or even mention a change?

Does anyone have pictures of the newer version with the billet mount that they could post? It looks like the pictures on the Airframes site are of the older version. That area always looked like the weak link to me.

a60a61e6d6ff4ee09c98105e25e3f3b0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, are both the front and back attach points milled out of solid aluminum?

Just looked at this - and notced Steve getting stuck in Perry. I too was stuck there the week before - low ceilings. Good folks let me keep the courtesy car for two days.

When I got out, I managed to get to Nacogdoches, then the next day those low ceilings covered Texas!

For some reason, my tailwheels just keep following me around, no matter what I do - except for the day an axle broke on 064. Then the tailwheel passed us on the runway. We made it back to the hangar on two wheels.

Back