• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wading Trousers or Bibs with usable pockets???

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
TIME TO BUY A NEW PAIR:
Has anyone found any with any sort of useable POCKETS?? The lightweight trouser types I own only have one small interior flap type pocket that ripped soon after purchase and it was not big enough to carry anything.

I HATE crawling in the plane only realize that my keys are inside my jeans pocket underneath my frigging waders....

I like the lightweight ones for flying, although standing around in cold water while fly-fishing sorts makes a person appreciate the old thick type.

I used a pair of Patigona ? Waders and guided hunting on the Malchatna , so in and out of the boat lots. They held up real good and large chest pocket.

Aboard, Alex, you wear waders while flying?? Kinda like wearing a Hefty trash bag! Hip boots for this kid.

MTV

I thought you were a vest wearer? Lack of pockets???

Gore tex waders are great for fishing but I’d still favor hip waders for flying. Easier to get off if I need to swim. Most guys (or their petite wives :oops: ) who fly on and off of rivers will get the chance to find that out eventually. You might even need to swim to catch the plane!

PS, if your wife goes into the drink? You’re expected to go in after her. ;-)

[QUOTE

PS, if your wife goes into the drink? You’re expected to go in after her. ;-)[/QUOTE]

LMAO. So true....even if only in 6 inches of water. If you dont you will wish you had. :bang

Mike, I am doing a lot of fly-fishing as well. Changing back and forth has ceased to be fun. So I have been wearing lightweight ( breathable) wading trousers that I bought years ago up in Soldotna. At about the one minute mark on the video below. They lasted a few years and finally gave up the ghost. They needed a couple pockets. It seems that water will always be one inch deeper than the top of my hip boots. And it is not all that warm in my area compared to the interior or where you are at now.

Stewart: Sometimes I just wear the suspender type inflation device. My vest is kinda warm. I have my fishing gear set up in an old gas mask pouch that I wear on my chest while wading around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuktyiILdEg

Mike, I am doing a lot of fly-fishing as well. Changing back and forth has ceased to be fun. So I have been wearing lightweight ( breathable) wading trousers that I bought years ago up in Soldotna. At about the one minute mark on the video below. They lasted a few years and finally gave up the ghost. They needed a couple pockets. It seems that water will always be one inch deeper than the top of my hip boots. And it is not all that warm in my area compared to the interior or where you are at now.

Stewart: Sometimes I just wear the suspender type inflation device. My vest is kinda warm. I have my fishing gear set up in an old gas mask pouch that I wear on my chest while wading around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuktyiILdEg

Alex, now wait, your argument presented here was that you needed this airplane for flight instructing and air tours. Now you’re telling us that it’s actually for your fly fishing adventures? Is your spouse aware of this??

Aboard, Alex, you wear waders while flying?? Kinda like wearing a Hefty trash bag! Hip boots for this kid.

MTV

Seems like lots of float pilots wear hip waders. But I haven’t owned hip waders for 25 years...once I got chest waders I never went back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a float plane guy but I’ve spent more than my share of time in waders (required protection when Eaton starts telling stories) and I really like the jeans style waders from Frog Togs, cheap and breathable but sorry no pockets.

Last edited:
I catch more fish in xtra tuffs than waders. Flown a lot in xtra tuffs, too. Got wet occasionally but not a big deal. I wouldn’t fly in my fishing waders. Too expensive for loading planes and such. I prefer disposables for flying.

There’s something to be said for fast drying trekking pants and socks.

Wanna have a fly fishing competition? I’m in. It’s less about the gear and more about the water you’re fishing.

Heh. I mainly fly-fish in cotton pants with with wool long-johns and sneakers. I started doing that in the 70s and never got around to trying waders.

I've been using some 44 year old waders while launching and retrieving my Cub. Now my socks and pants keep getting wet so it is time for a replacement. This time I'm looking for a quality set of hip boots which should be easier to get in and out of along with perhaps even flying in. I usually just fly in my stocking feet since being long legged I need all the room that I can get. Any suggestions for good quality hip boots while helping Alex find his waders?

I've been using some 44 year old waders while launching and retrieving my Cub. Now my socks and pants keep getting wet so it is time for a replacement. This time I'm looking for a quality set of hip boots which should be easier to get in and out of along with perhaps even flying in. I usually just fly in my stocking feet since being long legged I need all the room that I can get. Any suggestions for good quality hip boots while helping Alex find his waders?

Sounds like the ones Kirby uses are plenty durable :roll:

Glenn

I have an old pair of LaCross hip boots. They old brown ones, that are probably 18 years old. But I doubt that the new ones are so good.

I have a 5 or 6 year old set of boots out in the truck that have the soft Gortex top parts and the rubber boot type bottoms. They just started to leak this year.
They are easier to walk with and they fold up better without cracking. Let me go find them... Ok... they are Frogg Toggs.

The downside is that they droop around the top. See pic

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 108 (1280x960).jpg
    2012-12-31 108 (1280x960).jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 162
Thanks, I had read somewhere that the LaCross boots were the top of the line. There is a dealer near here, I'll go look.

Things to consider. How well they stay rolled down and how well they stay hiked up. Newer hip boots need belt straps more than older ones. And pay attention to insulation. I never liked insulated boots for flying.

My old LaCross hip boots have a metal re-enforced toe. They are great for working and I used them to shovel out a couple floatplane slips. They also have a steel shank in the bottoms. I don't fish with them much because my toes get cold. So I am not so sure I would do the steel toe thing again for fishing.... but they sure are good for working or wading around where there are old boards with nails or screws. They weigh twice as much s my newer hip boots.

Alex,

To be serious, I've never liked the notion of flying floats in waders for safety reasons. No, waders won't drown you if you fall in the water, but they sure don't help you swim.....

MTV

I can personally attest that if you are in the water with hip waders and let them completely fill with water you can swim just fine.

RK

30 years ago I watched a guy drown fishing 30' from me in waders. Still haunts me that we didn't snag him with our hooks to try to save him

Glenn

IMG_0438.JPGMy fish'en partner said you don't need no stink' in waders and only sissies use fishing poles!

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 198
I wear ten year old Simms waders and light weight felt soled wading boots....swam in them once...I’m part fish and unlikely to panic. My bride wears insulated neoprene waders...and a CO2 inflatable life vest that is very convenient size wise...like wearing a one inch diameter cloth tube and a belt.

Lost three people in Goodnews Bay. One removed her life vest...never found her. One was wearing insulated waders and a floatation vest...was still warm by the time we got to him....the third was in street cloths and a floatation vest. Hoped hypothermia preserved the life of the third..CPR and intubation with 100% O2 didn’t save either. State medical examiner determined all had drowned..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's sad to hear. Alaskan rivers are very dangerous because they look gentle smooth, but they are moving. When I fish the Newhalen that flat worries me, not smooth but wow fast. I heard of a guy falling off a float near the mouth and was sucked into the current and never seen again.

MTV wrote:
Alex, now wait, your argument presented here was that you needed this airplane for flight instructing and air tours. Now you’re telling us that it’s actually for your fly fishing adventures? Is your spouse aware of this??

Funny you should mention that. Their have been more than a few conversations around my house lately in which the thought of a nice 180 being busted up during a check-ride has been mentioned. It is one thing if I am with them, but I have had some folks do some remarkably stupid things during their check-rides. ( running full throttle, turning off the mags and then back on after flooding the exhaust system, slamming the prop full flat at high speeds and so on ) Since the DPE is not the owner, he is not looking for idiots as much as I would be. And of course the clients are sometimes nervous during a SES check-ride so they do weird things.
Heck I had a supposedly high time pilot ram my dock a couple days ago, instead of pulling the mix, they pushed the throttle forward...

So the family question is now,,,, " Is the new plane too nice for SES ratings students.?"
SES refreshers OK, BFRs OK, short range flight seeing, Ok,,, But somebody with 110 hours who earned their private last summer in a rented C-172 in California??? Not so sure...

Since I am also a fishing guide, I am thinking over options.

MTV wrote:

Funny you should mention that. Their have been more than a few conversations around my house lately in which the thought of a nice 180 being busted up during a check-ride has been mentioned. It is one thing if I am with them, but I have had some folks do some remarkably stupid things during their check-rides. ( running full throttle, turning off the mags and then back on after flooding the exhaust system, slamming the prop full flat at high speeds and so on ) Since the DPE is not the owner, he is not looking for idiots as much as I would be. And of course the clients are sometimes nervous during a SES check-ride so they do weird things.
Heck I had a supposedly high time pilot ram my dock a couple days ago, instead of pulling the mix, they pushed the throttle forward...

So the family question is now,,,, " Is the new plane too nice for SES ratings students.?"
SES refreshers OK, BFRs OK, short range flight seeing, Ok,,, But somebody with 110 hours who earned their private last summer in a rented C-172 in California??? Not so sure...

Since I am also a fishing guide, I am thinking over options.

Having seen the pictures of your airplane, and having experienced many of the same things you noted with folks doing SES in my airplane, I can sympathize. Check rides can be hard on airplanes, and there are a lot of opportunities to rough up a seaplane.

MTV

Back