• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J3 - o-290

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
I knew a guy many years ago that put a GPU O-290 on a stock J3. No mods, no beef ups, no electrical, just bolted it on and went. It was a ROCKET SHIP! That being said, I've always wondered if that was safe without any strengthening. Legalities aside, does anyone here know how much HP a J3 can safely handle?
Thanks in advance.
D.A.

I knew a guy back in the 1980’s in Anchorage who had a J3 with a 135 hp. He said the J3 could be approved for 125 hp. He gave me a ride in it one time and it was a real performer. I don’t have any idea what is legal or safe hp. in a J3.

Repost, something happened to SC.org yesterday the entire days postings disappeared.

I had a friend who lived in Eagle River AK with a J-3 modified to a PA-11 basically by moving the fuel tank to the wing and cutting out the diagonal tubes in the front. It was extensively modified, keeping it light with no electric system the priority. It had Hendrix wing tips, Cal Center leading edge cuff, -18 elevators and GarAero wheel adapters. He did get an STC to install flaps on the wood spar wing. A no starter and generator 0-320 150 hp and Borer prop was on the nose. There is some question as to the legality of the engine. It did fly very nicely. Got in and out in short distances. He was a guide and flew it hard and in rough country. After having been rebuilt several times, it finally was washed out totally. I didn't learn the circumstances of the final flight. He wasn't hurt. I did get the opportunity to fly it a bit and it was great.

We had several J-3;s with 115, 135 and 150 in Restricted category. Great little airplanes. Long time ago, when I was a lot younger and thinner, and didn't have silver hair. (I still have the leather jacket)

Wm N88037.jpg

Attachments

• Wm N88037.jpg
    Wm N88037.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 375
I had a friend who lived in Eagle River AK with a J-3 modified to a PA-11...keeping it light with no electric system...Hendrix wing tips, Cal Center leading edge cuff, -18 elevators and GarAero wheel adapters...STC to install flaps on the wood spar wing. A no starter and generator 0-320 150 hp and Borer prop...
Wow - I bet THAT was a machine!

We had several J-3;s with 115, 135 and 150 in Restricted category. Great little airplanes. Long time ago, when I was a lot younger and thinner, and didn't have silver hair. (I still have the leather jacket)

View attachment 37537
WhiskeyMike, without a doubt, you've used every conceivable tow ship there is and every long wing Piper combination that can be. I don't still have the jacket in the picture, but if I did, it might fit my grandson....

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 185
We did the best we could with what we had. We did not have the internet or supercub.org. That would have been a huge help. It sure is now! Good thing we were skinny then. Otherwise 85 and 108 HP wouldn't get many of us off the ground now. I look back and wonder how we managed. Recently I watched an 8mm movie of my mom in the 85HP Cub towing around the 1960 World Series in Pittsburgh. No shoulder harnesses, no helmets. no radios, no starters or generators. Life was simple.

...Recently I watched an 8mm movie of my mom in the 85HP Cub towing around the 1960 World Series in Pittsburgh...
I still think you should write a book about your family's history in your industry. I'll take the first copy!

Hope this will make sense. Building a Cubby with an 0290d. Wag places 2 supports diagonal from the top of the panel to the front bottom edge of the firewall, (one on each side).They put a liner tube in the cross member between the front horizontal tube of the landing gear attach points and put a v brace from the bottom front attach points of the fire wall to the center of the lined cross member. They put in an x brace where the original J3 tank was. They put in 2 diagonal supports from the outside bottom of the panel to the top of the forward wing attach cluster. They put a liner in the bottom 2 longerons at the tail section. I had a 46 J3 that was a sprayer. they did all of this except the 2 diagonal braces from the bottom of the panel to the top of the wing attach cluster. This was done with certified engineering with the FAA when it was converted. Wag Aero has these specific drawings to modify up to 150 HP.I have a copy of all of this I will gladly send you, but because my condition it might take a few days. Jon

Hope this will make sense...
Jon, that made perfect sense, easy to understand, thanks. The name Blocker sounds familiar. I took my solo cross country to Muleshoe, Texas in the early 70's and I could swear a spray pilot named Blocker signed my log book. I think he was a Pawnee pilot. Any relation?

We put an o200 on my cub , I came up with a o290-d2 the other day. It needs two cylinders and it will be good to go. Make me wonder if I shouldn’t try it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I knew a guy many years ago that put a GPU O-290 on a stock J3. No mods, no beef ups, no electrical, just bolted it on and went. It was a ROCKET SHIP! That being said, I've always wondered if that was safe without any strengthening. Legalities aside, does anyone here know how much HP a J3 can safely handle?......

Hi Dave, sounds like maybe you've got another project in the works?

A banner towing company in Florida KHWO has several J3 Cubs powered with O-320 and two J-3 with O-360. I believe they all got modified with metal spars also, two had wood wings but had O-290, they fly all day long all summer.

This should be the album cover for your band...

I thought the exact thing the first time I saw the pic. If you told me that the same photographer also worked with the Beatles, Byrds or Led Zeppelin I'd believe you......
5BF3DD93-AAFA-429A-A35C-D2058EF6335E.jpg

Attachments

• 5BF3DD93-AAFA-429A-A35C-D2058EF6335E.jpg
    5BF3DD93-AAFA-429A-A35C-D2058EF6335E.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 283
Back