• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8.00-6 tube in a 8.00-4 tire?

JohnD

Hi, after getting a flat tire on my Clipper (sorry, its not a Cub but its a little related :) ) yesterday I took the tire off to change the tube. The tire looks good and the flat happened after parking the plane so tire and rim are both good.
The tire is clearly marked 8.00-4. But the tube in the tire is marked 7.00/8.00-6.
Is that normal? Since I am replacing the tube with a new one I wanted to put the right one in and not just something. Can you think of logical reason for putting that size of tube in?
I´m guessing they perhaps used this one if they didnt have anything else available at the time..

So, which size of tube should I order to replace the old one?

I would put the 800x4 tube in it if it were me. I help run a very active website for flying, maintaining and restoring Short Wings. ShortWingPipers.org Hope you check us out.

I would put the 800x4 tube in it if it were me. I help run a very active website for flying, maintaining and restoring Short Wings. ShortWingPipers.org Hope you check us out.

I would have also but where it went flat all we could get was a 600x6 tube to get it out of there. That was 20 years ago and I think the guy that owns that Vagabond now is still flying with the 600x6 tube in his right tire. :oops:

Glenn

A flat tire is now a very big deal. The last time I had one the over-zealous City guy wanted to forklift the airplane off the taxiway. Cooler heads prevailed, but just for a minute I was wishing I was more of an NRA-type.

So, Steve's advice is on point. Pay the $150 and get the correct tube, and keep it inflated to 25 psi unless you operate on grass and never use brakes.

One of my spares has a 6:00x6 tube in it. It seems to work fine. Still, even with the fork lift guy gone, I cannot risk it.

I was closing the hanger the other night about 6:30 the other night when I noticed a Saratoga off the side of the runway with several people standing around. Drove up and the couple and their 4 grand kids had a blow out. Luckily our airport isn't busy and has another runway so we jacked it up and replaced the tube with the sheared valve stem. Have done this about half a dozen or more times over the last 21 years I have been here. Engine hoist that folds up in the back of your truck and a spare tube on the shelf makes it wat easier.

I have several old used 8" t/w tires incl tubes as spares ion my hangar,
plus a 10".
Also carry a spare in my airplane, plus a spare 850-6 tube.
Figure even having a flat on an airport,
most places you'd be lucky to scare up a 600-6 spare--
let a lone anything larger or anything tailwheel.

Hi Steve and thanks. But can you tell me whether the stem is supposed to be straight or with a 90° bend?

Back