Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: MSP, MN vacation ideas

Post Thanks / Like

MSP, MN vacation ideas

My girlfriend and I are taking a last minute, poorly planned, minivacation to the MSP area. Looking for suggestions for places to go, do, or see within a 2 hourish drive from MSP. Aviation museums, glider or seaplane rides, hiking, fishing, cabins for rent on a lake or something, breweries, botanical gardens, etc? Any must-see suggestions?

thanks
    Likes rickvt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    at least the vikings arent playing so you dont have to put yourself through that misery. Lord Fletchers for lunch. Minneapolis Zoo. Twinkies baseball game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stanton Airport on a Saturday, CAF hangar at Fleming Field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surfside seaplane base MN24 is worth a stop, itís a special place, Iíve given rides to a handful of drop in visitors. The landscape arboretum in Chanhassen is great, current exhibit is fun, origami in the garden. http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/ also not far from Paisley Park. Lotsa fantastic breweries PM me if you want more info..

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    We will be there on weekdays so that rules out Stanton field. Thanks for the rest of the suggestions. I’ll do some googling and try to hit as much as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a quick list.
    Minnehaha Park with its water fall along the Mississippi and Hwy 55 about 1 mile from MSP airport. Any of the lake parks in Minneapolis, Mounds park above St Paul and the Mississippi with Indian mounds. Tour the State Capitol in St Paul, free.
    Drive along East River Rd to look at a variety of homes along the Mississippi. Drive to Stillwater, an old river town on the St Croix river, lots of antique shops and restaurants/bars, the same in Hudson WI, have lunch next to the river. Drive anywhere along Hwy 95 and the St Croix river for picturesque country roads, Taylors Falls about 1 hour or so NE from the Cities, climb on the rocks above the river, canoe down the river for a few hours.
    Lots of trails in parks in and near the cities, bring bug spray, https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hiking/index.html

Hope you two have a great time.

Now if you had more time and planning, go to the North Shore along Lake Superior. Lots to do up there, cliffs above the lake, agate hunting, cozy cabins with rivers and falls nearby. Lighthouses and maritime museums, a train museum in Duluth with a Yellowstone locomotive, a 2-8-8-4, 699,700lbs that hauled iron ore from the mines. Trails and gravel roads back in the hills where you might see moose, deer or bear.
    Last edited by Jim Gevay; 06-03-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of 3 Yellowstones in the area of Duluth. and the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Attachment 37346

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gevay View Post
    One of 3 Yellowstones in the area of Duluth. and the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Attachment 37346
    what are the yellow stones? I googled Minnesota Yellowstones and didn't come up with any thing useful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yellowstones are the name of one of the largest steam locomotives built in the US, next to the Big Boys.
    The wheel configuration is a 2-8-8-4 and they weigh approx. 699,700lbs, 3 exist in the US and all are in or near Duluth on Lake Superior.

https://www.johnweeks.com/yellowstone/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want to see the best part of the State, skip the Twin City metro and head up I-35 to the North Shore of Lake Superior. Run up the Gunflint or the Arrowhead trail. A little bit like going to Maine. The Brainerd Lakes area and the Grand Rapids lakes area are also more scenic. Rent a pontoon and cruise the connected waterways. Lots of resorts north of the cities.
    Likes DENNY, phdigger123, Nolan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go the the Anoka county flying museum in Blane. http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com. Call ahead and get an appointment!!! It is one of the most impressive flying displays I have seen. If you can not make it go back in the spring for the Greater Minnesota Aviation Gathering. 6 Trimotor aircraft, and lots of other unique aircraft in a personal collection!! Go get lost anywhere in MN and do an early breakfast at local diner. Ask the locals what is best thing to do and you will have a blast!!!! Wentworth aircraft (Buldings of used aircraft parts) is at Crystal airport near downtown MPLS. You could spend a day or two just looking at stuff alone. But!!! If you have someone with you make a list call ahead and see what they have for you.
    DENNY
    Likes Nolan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Golden Wings Museum at Anoka County airport is not a conventional museum, in that it's not open to the public on a daily basis to individuals.
    They did do wedding parties and corporate dinners and such, and they were open this past weekend. The person that ran the museum, Craig is no longer there, and Greg the owner is selling off the collection.
    They were only open to the public a few times a year, like this past weekend at Discover Aviation Days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2054 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	37361
    Likes Nolan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Falls, MN is a great spot to camp and hike, rock climbing,
    Recommend food
    San padroís in Hudson WI

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I can likely get access to the Golden Wings Museum for you, if ample lead time. I would be happy to give you a tour. We hold the Great MN Aviation Gathering there.

PM me and we can visit.

Randy
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you come down to Fleming Field or find yourself on the south side of the MSP area, come by Wipaire and I would be happy to give you a tour! Our manufacturing facilities and hangars are always changing so itís fun to see what is in at the time and how the floats are built. (A recent thank-you card from a 6th grader says Iím a good tour guide, so if we can keep it at that level itís pretty good )

Feel free to email agesch (at) Wipaire.com.

óAmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are staying at an Air B&B nea Lake Minetonka. I don't expect we will make it all the way to the north shore on this trip. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this museum at the Flying Cloud Airport. Close to Minnetonka.
    https://www.wotn.org/

This is an interesting boat ride. We like to ride it with the kids/grandparents from Excelsior to Wayzata for a quick lunch. Then return.
    http://www.steamboatminnehaha.org/