• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PTT adapter for handheld radio

justin283

I have a non electric pa-18-95 and use a handheld radio. I recently bought a yaesu 550l and it’s come with the headset adapter but no plug for PTT. I’d like to be able to plug in my existing PTT switch to the Yaesu, just like my old icom, but there’s no adapter that i could find online and not much info. Can anyone help me out? My old icom adapter with the extra PTT plug is unique to my icom radio, and the yaesu adapter just has two plugs for the headset.

I used a Yeasu and the standard in-line push to talk. You have to change the push to talk feature in the menu for PTT use.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

PTT usually goes in series with mic cable does it not?

That’s what I’d like to find but having difficulty. A inline Y splitter. Inline in the mic plug, with a female plug that my existing PTT coming from my stick would plug into. If I'm understanding the connections correctly, I need a Y fitting- male to female [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]microphone plug .206", with a 2.5mm female plug for my PTT switch. [/FONT]

Last edited:
A PTT that is not proprietary to ICOM should have that built in. This photo should be self-explanatory.

0nvOQZM0QpiBiBgIeStmJA.jpg

Attachments

• 0nvOQZM0QpiBiBgIeStmJA.jpg
    0nvOQZM0QpiBiBgIeStmJA.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 169
Thank you. That is what I envisioned, but I'd like to utilize my existing PTT switch which is built in to my stick. So could I cut at the coil and install a female 2.5mm plug for my existing PTT switch to plug into?

Thank you. That is what I envisioned, but I'd like to utilize my existing PTT switch which is built in to my stick. So could I cut at the coil and install a female 2.5mm plug for my existing PTT switch to plug into?

Easiest way to explain it is to look at Farmboy's pic. If you want to use a built in PTT, you would need to cut off the PTT switch in the pic and connect those two wires, inside the curly cord to the built in PTT switch in the stick.

Web

I would take the headset adapter mic jack open it up and splice the two wires from your ptt switch into it, one on the ground pin other tip pin, than close it up. All a ptt does is ground the tip of the plug

Last edited:
Back