• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Metal in Screen

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
After installing an overhauled starter adapter and fuel pump in our IO-520A we are getting some brass in the filter. This is after approximately 5 hours of initial ground run setup for the fuel system and initial test flights. None of the metal particles are large, just very fine specks. When I check the sample with a magnet I didn't get hardly anything.

I'm sending the sample out for analysis. My plan is to run it for a few more hours on this new filter and oil and then check the filter again.

Looking for some advice from the Big Bore continental experts.

Tim

Last edited:
Why on earth would you run a air cooled engine for 5 hours on the ground and plan on running a few more hours after that?

I have flown a turbo 210 for the last 20 years and I don’t like running them on the ground any longer than I have to.

Why on earth would you run a air cooled engine for 5 hours on the ground and plan on running a few more hours after that?

I have flown a turbo 210 for the last 20 years and I don’t like running them on the ground any longer than I have to.
Reading is fundamental... “and initial flight tests”

Back